closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Synctoy alternative??

Hybrid View

Master

Synctoy alternative??

Hi...

All my digital photos (close to 250GB now....) are stored on a remote HD and copies kept on a second remote HD in case the first disk goes down for any reason. I don't store anything on my C: drive. I tend to make additions/deletions/edits to the files in the first drive and then at the end of the session copy over to the second remote HD using Synctoy under Win10. However this is getting stupidly long... it takes hours to run. Does anyone know of a similar program that will search for any differences between the two and just copy over the files that have been added and/or amended? There used to be something like this that ran under MSDOS 6.2 many years ago (albeit with much smaller file sizes) and I can't believe that there's nothing similar today.

Forgot to mention... Don't want to try to do this through PS or Lightroom and simply doubt Cloud storage solutions... also much prefer a free program than a paid for program :-)

Pleased to hear

Rob

Try SecondCopy:

http://www.secondcopy.com/

Sent through the ether by magic

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Try SecondCopy:

http://www.secondcopy.com/

That seems to be what i need... pity it's £31 to buy......

Anyone know of anything like this that's free please? (Pensioner on limited income....)

Rob

It's a free download. I'm sure that you can trial it for 28 days, during this time you can create and amend profiles as required. Once the 28 days are up, you can still use the program but it nags you for 10 seconds when you start the program.

Have you looked at ROBOCOPY?

Free and I think already installed in Windows. Very fast and versatile sync tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Two good suggestions, there... Will have a look at Robocopy and being a mean (and skint) sod I have no problem ignoring nag screens. Thanks, guys!

Rob

Master
    I replaced SyncToy with FreeFileSync. It does just what you want regarding changed files and you can configure it in various ways

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    I replaced SyncToy with FreeFileSync. It does just what you want regarding changed files and you can configure it in various ways
    +1 for FreeFileSync (https://freefilesync.org/) - I now use it all the time, and it's much easier to use (and has better functionality) than either Synctoy or Robocopy.

Master
    Well got absolutely nowhere with Secondcopy and EaseUS. Took one look at ROBOCOPY and decided it's beyond me. Will take a look at Freefilesync and 2brightsparks as recommended by JohnnyWE, Reecie and PhilipK

Will let you know how I get on. Meantime one of the IT guys here recommends something called Xcopy.... anyone use that pls?

Rob