closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favourite barbecue food?

Squid, Swordfish, spatchcocked chicken, steak, venison and a nice burger or sausage; oh and some Halloumi.

Fish & chips.

I rarely enjoy amateur barbecueing output, so tend to stick with something to tide me over for an hour or 2 & that isnt both raw & cremated all at the same time.

- Then stop off for F&C on the way home where possible.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    Fish & chips.

I rarely enjoy amateur barbecueing output, so tend to stick with something to tide me over for an hour or 2 & that isnt both raw & cremated all at the same time.

- Then stop off for F&C on the way home where possible.
    I must admit it would be tempting, but hopefully some of the ideas on here will help my cremation attempts!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

My current favourite is a whole leg of lamb. I marinade it for a day beforehand in a mix of good grassy olive oil, garlic, thyme and a blitzed paste of chillies and anchovies. Get it up to temperature then roast hard and fast on the bbq. While its resting onto the bbq goes foil bags with par cooked new potatoes. Char some asparagus to get your greens in and you have a cracking feast perfect for a lazy family lunch.
    J

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post
    A Webber BBQ could probably do 90% of what a Kamado style grill can do, but the Kamado grills can get to a higher temperature for searing, and could probably maintain lower temperatures for longer to aid “low and slow” style cooking.
    Ah ok…. They look great…. But, I’ve become a dab hand at the Weber (I have my technique down!)…. Low and slow sounds good!

Quote Originally Posted by Strchr03 View Post
    Marinate a leg of lamb in lemon and garlic over night then sear and slow cook away from the heat for hours and it’s amazing

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yum…. I have the rotisserie thing on the Weber - will give that a go! What’s the recipe for the lemon goo?

Craftsman
    My daughter has an end of year bbq on Friday and her year group are responsible for the cooking. The school provide a gas bbq and the sausages & burgers. We have 11 children in her year and 2 sets of parents have dropped out already, although that’s no big lose as one wanted to do shortbread and the other a tray bake.
    I will be taking my trusty Weber & smoking the place out, I’ve been trying different kebab recipes for the past week. Settled on Turkish kebabs using chicken thighs. Not sure how I scale it up to 50 or so units though.
    Matt’s pineapple looks good so might have to try that as well.

I think a properly barbecued burger is still hard to beat, though I am also partial to chicken thighs.

I cook a lot with venison - in fact I did 12 family sized pots of venison tagine earlier this week to put in the freezer - but IMHO I don't find it works well on the BBQ as it has too little fat and is way too easy to overcook and ruin it. It can work well as sausages or burgers, though, if you cut the venison mince with 40% pork belly/bacon ends.

When I lived in the US beer-can chicken was a staple: https://youtu.be/vCfUZKY0Q88

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post
    How do you find using the Egg? I’m thinking of getting a Kamado - maybe the Kamado Joe.
    It’s fantastic, so easy to use and control temperatures on. We use it all the time for either low & slow, or roasting chickens on, or cranked to the max for pizzas. It’s so versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    What does an egg do that a Weber doesn’t?
    You talking WSM or a kettle? If the kettle, then it allows you to cook for 24hrs without touching it or adding more charcoal. Ceramic is very strong at insulating & uses so little fuel it amazes me.

When I started low & slow on a kettle, was always having to add fuel, was a labour of love to get it done & temperatures were all over the place.

Purchased a WSM which doesn’t do grilling, only low & slow. Far easier to control for long cooks, but not as fuel efficient of as flexible as the egg which does low temp 500C pizza temps too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken tikka. Easy and reliable recipe here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIIRSVWy35g

Had fun with our old oil drum bbq today (Caribbean Style)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I'm very fortunate to have been in the company of, and learnt from some great BBQ cooks, mainly Brazilians.

I used to think i was pretty good on the grill until I experienced their food.

You won't see any burgers below.

The finest steak I have ever experienced was by a Brazilian on a a BBQ I think they just seasoned with some salt if I remember correctly. I can imagine those ribs look as if they have been done in a similar way... can you spill the beans on how you have seasoned them bad boys?

Journeyman
    Some of my favourites are... courgettes, onions and peppers with a little oil and grilled, simple but lovely flavour.

However I have also been trying some low and slow recently mainly small briskets, beef ribs and pork belly burnt ends. All have been great with some nice rubs on them...

Tuscan boned and rolled leg of salt marsh lambIMG_3317.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Beer can chicken, just put a (hole punched in the top) can of beer in the rubbed/marines chicken and bbq it straight, you will have a super juicy chicken on the inside (because steamed) and crispy on the outside. A summer staple!

https://www.biggreenegg.eu/nl/inspir...er-can-chicken

Quote Originally Posted by L8_M8 View Post
    The finest steak I have ever experienced was by a Brazilian on a a BBQ I think they just seasoned with some salt if I remember correctly. I can imagine those ribs look as if they have been done in a similar way... can you spill the beans on how you have seasoned them bad boys?
    As with the picanha (rump cap), it's just rock salt... lots of it.

A good tagliata, basically meat (aged ribeye/ grilled and infused on fresh rosemary) and veggies (rocket salad + roast veggies/ peppers, cherry tomatoes, spring onions + roast fruit/ pears) with some seasoning (lemon juice, reduced aceto, pecorino, olive oil, chopped dried figs & wallnuts)

A good way to part with 2020 into better 2021

All the best in NY+=
    Last edited by martyloveswatches; 1st January 2021 at 13:45.