closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Noise cancelling headphones on a budget?

Noise cancelling headphones on a budget?

Six of our family are going on holiday together. We have an 8 hour flight and I'm wondering about noise cancelling headphones. My son has a pair (top end) and they seem amazing. We don't fly very often as a family (this is the first time in 25 years!) although it is conceivable that we might begin to do it a bit more often. I have loads of pairs of normal headphones (over ear type not in ears) through my studio and we could use these for music/films.

But, are there any budget noise cancelling headphones that would be an improvement on these on an 8 hour flight? I really don't want to spend 5 x £200 on headphones for a one off event. Or should we just put up with the noise for a bit? Any thoughts?

Craftsman
    I remember the gadget show, last week I think it was, did a test on just this thing.
    Check out out on catch-up, if I recall it correctly the cheaper pair won.
    Last edited by Nigel306; 7th July 2019 at 19:14.

Master
    My wife got the 7dayshop ones from Amazon a couple of years back. Not quite up to the level of my Bose QC25 but at £30 they were a good buy.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cancelling-...s%2C269&sr=8-4

I got some of these and they were suprisingly good, not quite bose qc30i but not far off, comfortable and made a big difference on flights. Realise they are in ear ones - however no reason not to think over-ear ones wouldn't do the job just fine.

Journeyman

Noise cancelling headphones on a budget?

A mate of mine from work who is the guy who suggested I join this forum was comparing his to my QC35s (which are excellent tbf) the other week. They were cheaper and almost exactly the same.

If he’s reading he can shout up, if not I’ll ask him tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Can also recommend the Tao tronics linked to above - I was about to link to them myself.
    They performed admirably during a 9.5 hour flight to Vancouver a few months back. Even with no sound playing they dulled conversations and engine roar effectively.
    No idea how they compare to Bose though.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Can also recommend the Tao tronics linked to above - I was about to link to them myself.
    They performed admirably during a 9.5 hour flight to Vancouver a few months back. Even with no sound playing they dulled conversations and engine roar effectively.
    No idea how they compare to Bose though.

Another vote for the Taotronics. I borrowed a set of Bose over ears for a long haul flight and they were very good but since buying the Taotronics in 2017 I have used these on all my flights with good results. The only thing I am not sure about is battery life as I don't think took them longer than 6 hours or so.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Another vote for the Taotronics. I borrowed a set of Bose over ears for a long haul flight and they were very good but since buying the Taotronics in 2017 I have used these on all my flights with good results. The only thing I am not sure about is battery life as I don't think took them longer than 6 hours or so.
    9+ hours to vancouver with no recharging and pretty much constant use so they last at least that long..

Journeyman
    I've tried several different pairs of expensive and cheapo ones over the years and my current ones are easily my favourite. Sony WH-C700N. Good sound quality, wireless, really comfortable and the battery shows no sing of flagging after hours and hours of use. Plus really easy to find controls on the headset itself. I can't use In-ear phones myself but these over ears have been perfect. They're available in Blue, black and grey.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-WH-CH7.../dp/B078VH55WW

Master
    I looked at reviews, and got these.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/revie...ess-headphones

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    I looked at reviews, and got these.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/revie...ess-headphones
    I entered my local Tesco in October 2018, with the aim to spend no more than £50, and bought that exact model. The noise cancelling feature limits the increasingly debilitating bass thrum of the engines, background chatter and crying children to an excellent degree and I was able to use it for the entire journey from Gatwick to Adelaide via Dubai on a single charge. I bought my partner a set for our journey last week to Knoxville and both pairs worked perfectly.

Master
    Just use earplugs with your regular over ear headphones! It worked surprisingly well when I had an MRI scan on my knee recently.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks for all the advice. Just to complete the thread, I've bought four pairs of the Taotronics for the kids and me and one pair of the over ears mentioned for SWMBO. Cheers TZ!

Master
    Just out of interest how did you get on with the headphones? Did they do the job?