closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Calling Rolex Owners. Advice needed

Master
    Blog Entries

Calling Rolex Owners. Advice needed

Hi all I collected a new no date sub from an AD this week and it's soooperb!

However.... I've spotted a couple of things which might be nothing, might be normal, or might be worth investigation.

1. The hour hand and minute hand need to be set a certain way to be correct. If I set the watch by winding the hands forward the hour hand is about 3 mins fast (so the watch reads 57 mins while the hour marker is bang on) but if I wind past the time then wind back, release the crown the minute hand moves forward maybe 2 mins and it's pretty much spot on.

2. The bezel has a minute amount of movement if you press on it. You can see it move to the case but naturally it's got a wafer thin gap to the case (too small for a piece of paper) but it's not touching the case unless you press it down.

So am I being an idiot, is this normal or should I take it back? I work in central London so easy to pop into Rolex St James provided they won't laugh me out of there!

Cheers,
    Pete.
    Last edited by pete-r; 7th July 2019 at 15:20.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This is the hand mismatch, when the minute hand is at 12 the hour hand is moving past.

Master
    You won’t be happy until you’ve popped into St James, so do that.

Master
    No, send it back. The mismatch on the hands is a shocker.

Master
    Blog Entries
    St James lot are great from my experience.

Pop in with it

I just checked mine, 2017 (and never worn) and mine all lines up perfectly. Sounds like a trip to St James is in order.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I don't think the bezel gap is an issue - mine has the same and has a tiny bit of sprung-play too. I agree with others regarding the hands though

Master
    Bezel is fine, spring loaded ceramic bearings.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    I don't think the bezel gap is an issue - mine has the same and has a tiny bit of sprung-play too. I agree with others regarding the hands though
    That's exactly how it feels, like it's spring loaded.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the advice all, do I need to go back to my AD? I did whatsapp the sales guy yesterday who said it didn't look right from the pic but going back to them is quite a trip.

It's easier for me working in Victoria to walk to St James square at lunch.

I'll call RSJ and see what they say, if it's a simple adjustment I'm hoping they can sort it within an afternoon or something.

Master
    Pop into St James Square, they're great there & will soon be able to get it sorted out.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Also while I'm in the stage of paranoia, does the dial normally have a slight dimple around the hands?

When the light reflects off the dial around the hands you can see it's slightly curved.

This is part of the Rolex buying headache for me, you can't see another to compare to.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Also while I'm in the stage of paranoia, does the dial normally have a slight dimple around the hands?

When the light reflects off the dial around the hands you can see it's slightly curved.

This is part of the Rolex buying headache for me, you can't see another to compare to.

You need to discuss all of your concerns at StJ's. They'll be cool about it and sort you out. My SD43 had a free service at 8 months.

Mine has the same indentation around the centre. Presumably from when the press the dials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Bezel is fine, spring loaded ceramic bearings.
    Yes, exactly this. Some amount of ‘rocking’ vertical play is normal due to the sprung nature, and probably necessary for the bezel to move freely. The bezel shouldn’t rotate backwards once it passes a ‘click’ though.

if I wind past the time then wind back, release the crown the minute hand moves forward maybe 2 mins and it's pretty much spot on.
    Hands not syncing exactly at the hour mark could be misalignment - best to have it checked.

But the above bit re the slight ‘bounce’ forward a bit when the watch is wound and the hands are moved backwards for time-setting is also entirely normal - all to do with levels of backlash/play in the wheel train when the mainspring is wound enough.e

Yes, mine is exactly the same.

It's all part of the paranoia that goes with the 'Rolex experience', lists, availability, warranty cards, stickers, the correct box, can I wear it in the street, do I need a safe, can I wear it washing dishes / taking a shower, do these Tom Ford sunglasses suit me, will women find me irresistible.
    Welcome to the club OP, they're pretty robust watches, drop into the shop they'll take away your anxiety and put the spring back in your step.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks all, I think it's just the hand alignment to sort then, which from what I've read is bread and butter stuff to the service centre.

Overall it's an fantastic piece and was well worth the wait.

Here's a family shot with it's grandfather, who hasn't lost the looks!

54 years between them :-)

Master
    Hi all I collected a new no date sub from an AD this week and it's soooperb!

However.... I've spotted a couple of things which might be nothing, might be normal, or might be worth investigation.

1. The hour hand and minute hand need to be set a certain way to be correct. If I set the watch by winding the hands forward the hour hand is about 3 mins fast (so the watch reads 57 mins while the hour marker is bang on) but if I wind past the time then wind back, release the crown the minute hand moves forward maybe 2 mins and it's pretty much spot on.

2. The bezel has a minute amount of movement if you press on it. You can see it move to the case but naturally it's got a wafer thin gap to the case (too small for a piece of paper) but it's not touching the case unless you press it down.

So am I being an idiot, is this normal or should I take it back? I work in central London so easy to pop into Rolex St James provided they won't laugh me out of there!

Cheers,
    Pete.
    The hand alignment issue is unworthy of what one would expect of a Rolex. They will readily fix that with no fuss.

The date change on my ye olde worlde 1655 only took place when the minute hand was on 4 minutes past the 12 O clock position. I moaned and it was returned spot on.

Rolex want their watches to be perfect in every way and they always accept a legitimate moan which yours is.

54 years between them :-)

I'm probably in the minority here but that old fella imparts a feeling of reliability and dependability that the Submariner can't touch,

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I'm probably in the minority here but that old fella imparts a feeling of reliability and dependability that the Submariner can't touch,
    You are not only in a minority but also wrong. Although the modern 6 series may look a bit brash, from a technical point of view, they are better, more robust, have greater reserves and are generally more accurate than their predecessors. The bracelets are light years ahead.

I will, however, shoot myself in the foot by admitting that my favourite watch is my 1980 1655 Explorer11. It may be technically inferior due to its age, but it exudes much more charm. A bit like comparing a younger man with a more elderly one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    You are not only in a minority but also wrong. Although the modern 6 series may look a bit brash, from a technical point of view, they are better, more robust, have greater reserves and are generally more accurate than their predecessors. The bracelets are light years ahead.

I will, however, shoot myself in the foot by admitting that my favourite watch is my 1980 1655 Explorer11. It may be technically inferior due to its age, but it exudes much more charm. A bit like comparing a younger man with a more elderly one.
    I didn't say that the watch was more reliable or dependable,

Master
    [QUOTE=Mick P;5143729

Rolex want their watches to be perfect in every way and they always accept a legitimate moan which yours is.[/QUOTE]

I think you may have led a sheltered life. Rolex have made a series of engineering mistakes over the years....practicing on their customers.
    My own experience was as an early adopter of the DD40; the changeover was faulty, on all of them; in the end extra parts had to be added.
    Rolex did provide decent follow-up, but don’t hero-worship them. No-one makes ‘perfect’ watches.

Master
    I didn't say that the watch was more reliable or dependable,
    I didn't say that you did say that.

I just confirmed your statement that you are probably in the minority.

Craftsman
    After reading this thread,my paranoia got the better of me!! Just had to check my Sub. All ok.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's all part of the paranoia that goes with the 'Rolex experience', lists, availability, warranty cards, stickers, the correct box, can I wear it in the street, do I need a safe, can I wear it washing dishes / taking a shower, do these Tom Ford sunglasses suit me, will women find me irresistible.
    Welcome to the club OP, they're pretty robust watches, drop into the shop they'll take away your anxiety and put the spring back in your step.

Quality post. Made me smile anyway

Master

Calling Rolex Owners. Advice needed

From reading the thread and see the pictures:

1) Hands need sorting
    2) Bezel sounds (and looks) ok
    3) Indent on dial? Never seen it on any of mine, but don’t own a Sub ND so I’d ask RSC.
    Last edited by Chalet; 7th July 2019 at 21:45.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you google rolex dial dimple it's definitely not a one off.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=275727
    Last edited by pete-r; 7th July 2019 at 21:59.

Master
    If you google rolex dial dimple it's definitely not a one off.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=275727
    It's part of the pressing procedure when making the brass disc that makes up the dial. All perfectly normal

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well St James now have it.

They started talking about tolerances etc, but when I showed them the hand alignment the response was "oh"...

Going to take approx 2 weeks, so I'd be lying if I said I'm not overly impressed. Assume it'll need to be adjusted then recased and water tested etc.

They were completely nice but my point to my AD is I wait X months for the watch and now it's gone another 1/2 a month with no mention of a replacement or any token gestures etc.

Master
    It’s a bit sh*t but the watch will last you a life time once perfect. Two weeks is annoying I agree.

Master
    They regulated (and hopefully pressure tested) my SD43 in under an hour. I suspect it’s a bigger job.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think the movement will have to come out which makes it a bigger job.

Master
    Caseback off
    release stem to remove crown
    remove movement
    remove hands
    reset hands
    replace movement
    replace stem + crown
    Caseback on

30 minutes or less, but depends on their workload and also if it has to go back through a QC process.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    It's part of the pressing procedure when making the brass disc that makes up the dial. All perfectly normal
    No its the dial paint and laquer that causes it. The brass disc is perfectly flat, visible when you remove it from the movement.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm trying not to think about it lol

Going to take approx 2 weeks, so I'd be lying if I said I'm not overly impressed. Assume it'll need to be adjusted then recased and water tested etc.

They were completely nice but my point to my AD is I wait X months for the watch and now it's gone another 1/2 a month with no mention of a replacement or any token gestures etc.

This is another problem with restricting supply, in the past the AD would simply have replaced it for another one in stock, and sent the faulty one back in their own time and at their cost.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    This is another problem with restricting supply, in the past the AD would simply have replaced it for another one in stock, and sent the faulty one back in their own time and at their cost.
    Perhaps with a Daniel Wellington but never a Rolex...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi all, just to update, the watch was taken to St. James Monday 15th and I had the call this Monday to say it's ready but they posted it to me and I got it today.

I have to say it like it is, they have fixed the issue and it's spot on to my old and failing eyes.

Came well packed in a Rolex after sales service box inside a pouch etc etc.

Still want to have a chat with my dealer in terms of it not being the level you expect but most importantly it's back, fixed and I can't see any marks.

They did send it back with a sticker set applied though which might be against the norm lol.

Master
    Mention to them also that they forgot to install the date window.

Master
    Blog Entries
    :) and the fugly cyclops fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    To be expected on a hand-made watch.

Journeyman
    This made me laugh !

QUOTE=ach5;5157395]Mention to them also that they forgot to install the date window.[/QUOTE]

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    To be expected on a hand-made watch.
    Hand assembled, but certainly not hand made