closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smiths 6B 1967. Advice on service/clean

Apprentice

Smiths 6B 1967. Advice on service/clean

Hi all,

new here, so still trying to learn how to post a pic properly! Hopefully the above will suffice.

I’ve been looking for one of these for a while and found one the other day, I specifically wanted a 6B and specifically a 1967, so after finding one I managed to pay probably way too much for it in an auction, but the price I paid was worth it to me. (and the other chap wouldn’t stop bidding!)
    Paid ~£1500

So, I’m new to the world of mechanical watches (well, not had one since I was a child in the early seventies). This one although in nice condition externally is losing about 2 minutes, every 24 hours, so I presume a clean/service is required. I think it’s better than that if it’s face up overnight, I’m finding out, only had it a couple of days.

Now, I don’t want any restoration of any kind to the outside or the crystal, I’d just like the movement to run properly.

I live near Cambridge and tomorrow I’m going to give SmithsWatches (James Merrens) a ring.

Does anyone have a recommendation nearer to where I live, I’m going to probably deliver by hand rather than post, which isn’t a problem, but will be better if it’s closer. Lots of “watch repairers” come up near me, but there’s no way it’s going somewhere without a recommendation.

Might buy a cheap smiths and practise servicing / cleaning myself. I might even buy a few more normal Smiths watches.

If I do decide to learn how to service myself, any recommendations so I can shortcut the googling a bit?

not the most expensive watch, but I like it.

thanks

BTW, that’s not on my right arm, I’ve cropped and rotated the picture and got it slightly wrong.
    Last edited by DavidC; 7th July 2019 at 13:54.

Hi and welcome. Looks like a nice watch to me; I’m sure others can comment on whether it was a good deal but as long as there are no major issues then it doesn’t really matter.

Have you also seen the Smiths forum on MWR?

https://www.mwrforum.net/forums/foru...Vintage-Smiths

"Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Apprentice
    The forum won’t let me open that thread, is it in the “sales” bit ?
    Apparently it’s forum policy to lock new members out of there till they have 50 posts.

I can understand that if it’s because of some sort of protection, is there any other way you can give me the advice or can the mods let me see that thread ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Hi and welcome. Looks like a nice watch to me; I’m sure others can comment on whether it was a good deal but as long as there are no major issues then it doesn’t really matter.

Have you also seen the Smiths forum on MWR?

https://www.mwrforum.net/forums/foru...Vintage-Smiths
    Thankyou! They were already discussing the sale of the watch I’ve purchased!

Craftsman
    You should contact Revo on this forum, he has had lots of SmithS watches serviced around the midlands I think so I am sure that he can recommend someone good to service it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    The forum won’t let me open that thread, is it in the “sales” bit ?
    Apparently it’s forum policy to lock new members out of there till they have 50 posts.

I can understand that if it’s because of some sort of protection, is there any other way you can give me the advice or can the mods let me see that thread ?

- - - Updated - - -

Thankyou! They were already discussing the sale of the watch I’ve purchased!

Apologies, I forgot that the sub forum access requires 50 posts … which you'll likely soon accumulate . Regret cannot offer a short cut.

I can recommend Mark Wiles F.B.H.I. at Antique & Modern in East Barnet N. London for watch repairs https://www.clock-watches.co.uk

I live in Peterborough and have yet to find a good local watchmaker … all my clock and watch servicing is trusted to Antique & Modern … secure free parking nearby too … I leave my car there all day when visiting Central London

Beware of local watchmakers / watch dealers who sub-contract / farm out their watch servicing.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 7th July 2019 at 18:13. Reason: typo

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Apologies, I forgot that the sub forum access requires 50 posts … which you'll likely soon accumulate . Regret cannot offer a short cut.

I can recommend Mark Wiles M.B.H.I. at Antique & Modern in East Barnet N. London for watch repairs https://www.clock-watches.co.uk

I live in Peterborough and have yet to find a good local watchmaker … all my clock and watch servicing is trusted to Antique & Modern … secure free parking nearby too … I leave my car there all day when visiting Central London

Beware of local watchmakers / watch dealers who sub-contract / farm out their watch servicing.

dunk
    Thankyou!

Sometimes I am in Enfield, so quite local to Barnet. I shall make a note.

thanks

Dave.

s/b Mark Wiles F.B.H.I. … but you'll likely be greeted by Vanessa who is very helpful. Occasionally they have s/h Smiths watches for sale … and Smiths clocks. They are moving premises later in the year ... to just around the corner on Church Hill Rd where there's the secure car park … drive down the slope to access the car park https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...38!4d-0.157153

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 7th July 2019 at 18:26.