closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ***Please help Ewan get the Newmark 71 over the line on Kickstarter***

***Please help Ewan get the Newmark 71 over the line on Kickstarter***

I think most of you know Ewan on here and many will know that his Newmark 6BB was a massive success on Kickstarter last year.

He's now launched a campaign for the Newmark 71, a re-creation of a vintage Newmark diver but with up-to-date specification and meticulous attention to detail. It has 9 days to run and still needs £13,000 of funding, which equates to approximately 40 watch pledges. Now I'm not asking or expecting the forum to pledge to all 40 watches but I am asking that if there's room in your collection for a superb modern diver, at least consider helping this be the success that it deserves to be. Ewan's got a lot invested in this and it would be a shame for it not to success. Do not confuse this with the rebadged Alibaba rubbish often seen on Kickstarter, this is custom-built from the ground up.

Many variations available to suit everyone.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-watch-reissue

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I'm surprised this is struggling. I was in as soon as it opened because it looks brilliant.

I can't help thinking that the shipping from the Far East thing might have had an effect. There's been talk about it on other forums, and although it was always stated it would be shipping from the Far East, the info was buried at the bottom of the Kickstarter page. Once word got out, a few people were annoyed they were going to have to fork out an extra 20% to import it.

I still think it's amazing value with the 20% added but it would have been a psychological hurdle for a lot of people, especially as it's a British company and the 6BB shipped from the UK.

This is just my feeling, but I really hope it gets over the line.

I went straight in too.
    Good vintage-inspired design with modern options like a lumed sapphire bezel, sub 40mm diameter and options a-plenty, I realised this would suit me a while before it was released.
    I really hope it gets over the line, I want the blue ND one quite a lot.
    Dave

Blog Entries
    Got to be worth a go. It's a nice looking watch.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I am on a purchasing pause but got behind Evan’s original Kickstarter campaign.

For anyone on the fence, it’s a lovely well made watch (and I suspect this one will be too).

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I was lucky enough to grab one of the early Newmark chronographs which is indeed a nice thing but this just doesn't hit the spot for me, however I'm sure it'll be a quality piece of kit, good luck all.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I can't help thinking that the shipping from the Far East thing might have had an effect. There's been talk about it on other forums, and although it was always stated it would be shipping from the Far East, the info was buried at the bottom of the Kickstarter page. Once word got out, a few people were annoyed they were going to have to fork out an extra 20% to import it.

I still think it's amazing value with the 20% added but it would have been a psychological hurdle for a lot of people, especially as it's a British company and the 6BB shipped from the UK.
    I also think the additional import charges have had an effect. There’s the psychological factor with Kickstarter - you back a project and receive a good discount as a ‘reward’. With the additional import fees on the Newmark, this early backer discount is significantly reduced.

It’s a pity as even at full retail this is a cracking watch. I hope it gets over the line and goes on to be a great seller for Ewan. I do think it will.

I pledged within the first hour of the project going live, as an owner of a 6BB I'll be disappointed if the 71 doesn't make it to fruition. I think I'll be going for the blue no-date however the recent announcement of the silver ND has thrown me a googly!

Master
    I've pledged. REALLY like the look of this one, and the bracelet is a work of art. Blue date dive bezel for me.

I think the blue may be darker in the final product, though.

Actually, the blue with the 12-hour bezel is also very handsome...

Last edited by apm101; 8th July 2019 at 16:20.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I went straight in too.
    Good vintage-inspired design with modern options like a lumed sapphire bezel, sub 40mm diameter and options a-plenty, I realised this would suit me a while before it was released.
    I really hope it gets over the line, I want the blue ND one quite a lot.
    Dave
    I'm in too, I *really* want this one to fund, the watch looks ace - the bracelet especially, it's a real cut above. Blue, no date, 12-hour bezel for me.

I'm completely confused as to why this project hasn't taken off like the 6BB, to be honest - I know Kickstarter is a bit slow at the moment generally but Ewan's got form for putting together really special recreations, so it's the nearest I've felt to a safe Kickstarter bet...

Change of plan, Ewan's now shipping from the UK.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I really like the look of the silver dial no-date one. I just need to work out if I can afford it right now.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I really hope this project succeeds. It's a lovely looking, well specced piece. Black, no date, 60, would be my choice - but I just can't afford/justify it due to service work being needed for one of my other watches. Plus, Eddie's Expedition watch later in the year takes priority for me. Good luck to Newmark anyway, I'm sure you'll get there.

Edit: In the vain hope I can do some juggling, when would pledges have to be paid?
    Last edited by Mouse; 8th July 2019 at 22:47.

[QUOTE=Mouse;

Edit: In the vain hope I can do some juggling, when would pledges have to be paid?[/QUOTE]

July the 16th at 5:30 pm.

How's that for an accurate answer!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I really hope this project succeeds. It's a lovely looking, well specced piece. Black, no date, 60, would be my choice - but I just can't afford/justify it due to service work being needed for one of my other watches. Plus, Eddie's Expedition watch later in the year takes priority for me. Good luck to Newmark anyway, I'm sure you'll get there.

Edit: In the vain hope I can do some juggling, when would pledges have to be paid?
    That would be my choice as well

***UK and EU rewards will be shipped from the UK***
    Last edited by bwest76; 9th July 2019 at 00:05.

I pledged this morning. Very close to target now.

Journeyman
    Not a fan of this look, but I sincerely hope the funding succeeds. It is a very interesting and well thought-out project, I'll forward it to some friends who might appreciate it.

Good luck, peeps! :)

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    That would be my choice as well

***UK and EU rewards will be shipped from the UK***
    How does that work, does he take the hit on duty/VAT himself?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    How does that work, does he take the hit on duty/VAT himself?
    The reason he initially decided to ship from Hong Kong is that there's some weird regulation concerning the date he pays for the goods vs the date the goods go on sale which meant he wouldn't be able to claim back the VAT paid on import into the UK. The date he receives payment from Kickstarter is deemed to be the purchase date and the VAT payable on import would be due several months later when the watches are shipped from the manufacturer. He's going to have to take the hit on watches shipped from the UK.

Eddie

Apprentice
    This project is going to make. Ewan has been very gracious, flexible, and responsive to customers. With UK shipping to avoid customs duties and a silver no date option and the opportunity to buy bezels/inserts to change the look, etc., etc. recent days have shown a big uptick in pledges and it looks like this will make and then some. Watches are going fast with one week to go so if you are on the fence you will need to act soon. Great job Ewan!

Master
    There’s minimal (€0.8 per piece) duty payable and if Ewan’s VAT registered he can reclaim the import VAT via the C79.

Just over £500 more to be pledged before the project hits the magic £75k!

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    There’s minimal (€0.8 per piece) duty payable and if Ewan’s VAT registered he can reclaim the import VAT via the C79.

He researched it thoroughly and because of the gap between payment and first sale, he can't reclaim the VAT.

Eddie

Master
    I hope he reaches the target. Looks like a great watch. Unfortunately, just too small for me.

Best if luck with this, that is a nice piece. Not for me, but I admire the quality and attention to detail.

Funded!

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post

You can't zero rate sales outside the EU unless you export within 3 months of payment. Thus, you have to pay the VAT on those as well as the EU ones.

Eddie