closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Motorcycle hire for a Spanish road trip?

Master

Motorcycle hire for a Spanish road trip?

I’ve just been out for a ride with an old mate and we have discussed going on a road trip, possibly around northern Spain. I have new T120 Bonneville and he has a 8 year old Yamaha XJR1300 which are both more than capable of making the trip but perhaps not the most comfortable or practical so we are thinking of hiring adventure style bikes such as the BMW GS1200 or similar.

Can anyone advise on bike hire and if this is the way to go or would we be better buying a pair of used bikes and selling them when we get back? Google tells me we would be in for around £600-£700 each for a week’s hire.

Anyone done something similar?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Personally I would rather tour with either of those bikes if you are sticking to tarmac.
    You don’t need a touring bike to tour.

I’d just take the bikes you’ve got. They’re both excellent for touring at reasonable speeds.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’d just take the bikes you’ve got. They’re both excellent for touring at reasonable speeds.
    Thanks. The current bikes have limited fuel range and (I suspect) are less comfortable for hours in the saddle. Although it would be cheaper to buy comfort seats and luggage I suppose.

Hiring would allow you to fly there and spend your time touring Spain, instead of taking 3 or 4 days off your trip going there and back.
    However you chose your current bikes for a reason, and just like the watches you’ll wear, it’s also about the history you’ll have with your bikes. Memories are made of this.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Hiring would allow you to fly there and spend your time touring Spain, instead of taking 3 or 4 days off your trip going there and back.
    However you chose your current bikes for a reason, and just like the watches you’ll wear, it’s also about the history you’ll have with your bikes. Memories are made of this.
    Also, in a road trip the journey is the goal.
    You are spot on about creating memories with the bike you have!

I´d say take the bikes you own as they are. Travel as light as possible. Be flexible with the route, route national!, and find lodgings under way.

Craftsman
    Use the bikes You have and don’t sweat it.I got round France on a 600 Hornet lol so You should be OK .

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    Thanks. The current bikes have limited fuel range and (I suspect) are less comfortable for hours in the saddle. Although it would be cheaper to buy comfort seats and luggage I suppose.

The range is plenty. Plan to stop every 80-90 miles anyway. As Petrus says, it’s all about the ride, not the destination.

Don't know about bikes, but one of the best touring holidays we've had was 2 weeks around Europe in a 17 year old Fiat Barchetta. Not known for its reliability (I used to have to carry tools in the car), I couldn't get get breakdown cover due to its age but it ran sweetly the whole time and returned 40 MPG despite the fact that I wasn't exactly hanging about. Practical? Well, we got a couple of big-ish squashy bags in the boot which was enough for jeans and t-shirts. We didn't plan an itinerary other than the first couple of days, other than keep heading south until it's time to turn round. We made as far as Northern Italy before we decided to head home, eventually clocking up 2800 miles and 12 border crossings in 12 days. Great memories, we still miss the little car. It's all about the journey..

Cheers,

Plug

Master
    We’ve done a couple roads trips before but in cars (bangers) so we are in agreement with unplanned / take it as you find it part. This would be our first motorcycle road trip and it’s my mate who is unhappy with his bike. I will have a word and see if I can convince him to go as we are.

I do love a road trip. Best way to get away from it all!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Here you go

I did a month last year and will do a month this September as well.

Portugal was a gem.

https://www.ride.co.uk/routes-1/ride...n-and-portugal

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Here you go

I did a month last year and will do a month this September as well.

Portugal was a gem.

https://www.ride.co.uk/routes-1/ride...n-and-portugal
    Thank you for that, very interesting. I think a month may be pushing it a bit!

Motorcycle hire for a Spanish road trip?

Honestly just use the bikes you have, they are fine for the job. You really can tour on anything if you aren’t trying to cover massive miles. For example once did a 2 up trip through Germany with my wife on a ZX6R!

I can't comment from personal experience of the Yamaha XJR1300, but I can't see it being a poor tourer.

As for your T120, I've toured on one several times in Spain and France and found it both comfortable and practical, highly enjoyable in fact.. Plymouth to Santander is an enjoyable 20 hour crossing and you arrive in an ideal place for the mountains and coast of Northern Spain, which has perfect roads for biking.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

A friend of mine once rode from St. Malo to Le Man, then back again on a Honda XR650R. (Single cylinder enduro bike) good times...

I was on a CBR600 at the time. 😂

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I can't comment from personal experience of the Yamaha XJR1300, but I can't see it being a poor tourer.

As for your T120, I've toured on one several times in Spain and France and found it both comfortable and practical, highly enjoyable in fact.. Plymouth to Santander is an enjoyable 20 hour crossing and you arrive in an ideal place for the mountains and coast of Northern Spain, which has perfect roads for biking.

R
    Is that the standard seat on the T120 Ralph? I find mine a little uncomfortable after an hour or so but I may be expecting too much as it’s my first proper bike. I know Triumph offer a comfort seat.

I am now swaying in the direction of taking mine so need to work on him. He says the Yamaha was not too comfortable on a recent longish ride around Wales. But he is quite a big bloke.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Late seventies I rode all accross Europe, several times, even two up, down to Italy on

Next we went two up on a Guzzi V50 for several years.

Imho, if ány modern 350+ bike is deemed not good enough for a leisure road trip; go by car.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 6th July 2019 at 22:48.

Is that the standard seat on the T120 Ralph? I find mine a little uncomfortable after an hour or so but I may be expecting too much as it’s my first proper bike. I know Triumph offer a comfort seat.
    It was the standard seat and I found it ok-ish.

But I've got another T120 now and have a king & queen seat on it for 2-up touring, however if you'd like to experience a comfort seat I've got a spare one you're welcome to try.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

By Northern Spain, I assume we're talking Pico's?
    Either of those bikes will be spot on for a jaunt like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    The Picos does have it's attractions for bikers:

But there's a lot more to Northern Spain than the Picos de Europa.

R

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    It was the standard seat and I found it ok-ish.

But I've got another T120 now and have a king & queen seat on it for 2-up touring, however if you'd like to experience a comfort seat I've got a spare one you're welcome to try.

R
    Ok-ish is how I feel about mine. Thanks for the offer to try the comfort seat. I am due a visit to Total Triumph in the next couple weeks so I will see if they have one else I will be in touch to try yours.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    We don’t have a specific route in mind yet. The idea is still very new so I will definitely have a look at Picos.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Recently di northern Spain with wifey on the back, as Ralphy says lots more to northern Spain than the pico's
    someida national park ( keep an eye out for bears), Rioja region, all of the Pyrenees, then you can jump into France if you want and do the midi.

mike

Master
    Blog Entries
    We don’t have a specific route in mind yet. The idea is still very new so I will definitely have a look at Picos.
    How long you going for?

There’s a lot of places you can visit,I found some of the less visit places wonderful last year.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    How long you going for?

There’s a lot of places you can visit,I found some of the less visit places wonderful last year.
    Probably 5-7 days but not agreed yet.