closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hopefully an open and shut case

Hopefully an open and shut case

A while back I picked up this Pulsar PSR-10 off ebay. As you can see it would appear to have had an interesting life and whilst accurate enough, not to the extent this movement was reputed to be. However I have become quite attached to it and now that the battery has expired, I would like to replace it. Poking around inside watches isn't something I have actually got into yet, but given the relatively low value of this one I thought I would give it a go myself.

Looking at the back of the case though I am unsure even how to get into it.

There is no rim or obvious indentation around the bottom of the case that I can discern by running my fingernail round it. I am guessing therefore that the back screws on. If this is indeed true - and I would welcome confirmation on this point - then what is my best option for removal? (I seem to recall seeing posts on here in the past discussing using a scrunched up piece of duc[k|t] tape?)

Any and all guidance welcomed, even if it involves a trip to the nearest branch of Timpson.

What does a Google search bring up?
    Back looks like it is a push fit although it appears not to be fully seated,
    The model number would help.
    I thought the PRS-10 was a military?
    Last edited by number2; 7th July 2019 at 20:57.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Perhaps it's a front-loader?

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    What does a Google search bring up?
    An initial, and admittedly slightly cursory, search came up with very little of relevance save a link to an extremely sparse user manual/leaflet which claimed an accuracy of +/- 10spy for the Y301 movement, and advised contacting an 'AUTHORIZED PULSAR DEALER' when the battery expires. A Seiko SR716SW with a life expectancy of 3 years, apparently.

Hence my post here in the hope of finding someone familiar with the watch.

Back looks like it is a push fit although it appears not to be fully seated.
    Excellent spot sir, thank you. Closer inspection shows the other side to be fully in and seated. The question therefore still remains. Where do I go from here?

The model number would help.
    Best I can do there is Y301-0A10 from the case back.

I thought the PRS-10 was a military?
    Very possibly, but this is a PSR 10.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Is this not a lip on the case back?

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post

I thought the same, looks more and more like a push fit.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Unfortunately not, simply a reflection of the light in my (rather poor) photograph.

I'm pretty sure that N2 has got it though. A push fit that has jammed through being slightly misaligned. (Or maybe even cross threaded?)

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Unfortunately not, simply a reflection of the light in my (rather poor) photograph.

I'm pretty sure that N2 has got it though. A push fit that has jammed through being slightly misaligned. (Or maybe even cross threaded?)
    But to be "cross threaded" the case back would have slots for the key.

Without cut-outs for a tool it's doubtful that it's a screwback. So, assuming that it is a press fit caseback then give it a good clean around the edge and then get the loupe out. There will be a lip or a notch for inserting a case knife somewhere. Sometimes they can be very hard to spot even under magnification! Beyond that we need an expert opinion to chime in.

A Pulsar PSR-10 has a press fit caseback, however it can be a very tight fit which your seems to be. I use a dedicated caseback remover for these such as the A&F one on this page.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/be...p-case-openers

However if you're not using it every day the Indian one would be just as effective at almost a 1/4 of the price.

All you do is slowly screw the blade into the joint between the caseback and case, there's usually no need to lever it off, just screwing the blade in slowly will pop it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    A Pulsar PSR-10 has a press fit caseback, however it can be a very tight fit which your seems to be. I use a dedicated caseback remover for these...
    Thanks for that Duncan. It's very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    ... the Indian one would be just as effective at almost a 1/4 of the price.
    Doesn't seem like an unreasonable investment, even if only for the experience of using it.