closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: HELP! Can't get rid of unwanted window on desktop

HELP! Can't get rid of unwanted window on desktop

I fired up my spare computer for the first time in ages and a volume control window appeared in the centre of the screen and although there's a Menu and Exit button, the mouse pointer disappears underneath this window and I can't close it. Can't drag it either and it obscures some other windows which can't be dragged, such as the "are you sure?" windows.

It appears to be an Asus application so I removed the Asus router software (no longer used) but it was still there after a restart. Checked TaskManager and services but couldn't find anything obviously Asus or Volume related. As it's a volume control,I disabled the Realtek audio driver but it makes no difference.

I've run anti-virus and Malwarebytes but nothing found and it's still there.

I decided to do a printscreen so I could post it on here but the weird thing is, the window doesn't appear on the printscreen although you can clearly see, it's on the screen. The image behind the volume window is the entire desktop. Had to take a pic with the camera to show this.

Any ideas?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Is there a physical button on the screen/laptop for that function? The button may have stuck/failed. Just a thought.

Cheers,

Plug

My first thought is that the laptop (I assume) sound has been muted using one of the 'F' function buttons. Unmute the machine and it may go away.

Looks hardware based. Monitor rather than software. Have you got any physical buttons for volume?

What elements of your computer are from ASUS: motherboard, sound card, monitor etc.

Looks like the on screen for the monitor, as pointed out above check the buttons on the screen to make sure one isn’t stuck?

It's a desktop. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll work through them. Google throws up nothing.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Maybe try a different screen or a TV to prove where the issue lies. Does look like the monitor stuck on an internal menu feature.

Master
    go into task manager (ctrl/alt/del) see if you can see it in there and kill it.

or run (right click windows bottom left corner - choose run) and paste in

C:\Windows\System32\taskkill.exe /f /fi “status eq not responding”

it might work.

Try turning off Bluetooth if it’s on, and try going through the active windows with ALT + TAB

Blog Entries
    that looks like a monitor menu item - if so - press the exit button on the monitor & it'll disappear

z

Master
    As others have said, looks like it is direct from the monitor so unlikely to be able to remove from the computer menu itself. Likely to be a physical (or touch sensitive) button on the monitor.

If you can’t find it, try unplugging the monitor power and plugging back in

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    that looks like a monitor menu item - if so - press the exit button on the monitor & it'll disappear

z
    This.

Is it an ASUS monitor ?

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Try turning off Bluetooth if it’s on, and try going through the active windows with ALT + TAB
    It's not a Windows window.

Master
    My Dell monitor has hidden touch buttons in the bottom right hand edge of the monitor surround (just above the screen on/off button). If you touch it a menu appears, touch it again and it disappears.
    Or this:-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YITqCXAeN5M
    Last edited by tixntox; 6th July 2019 at 19:38.

It's the monitor and all the control buttons are unresponsive. Can't access the menu, can't turn it off via the buttons only through pulling the plug. Unplugged it and left it for a few minutes and as soon as I plugged it back in, the window was there again. Pity, it's a good monitor apart from this. The control buttons appear to be microswitches and the volume one is locked solid.

Eddie

I had something similar happen to a small portable TV once. opened it up and removed the connector that went from the buttons to the board and just used the remote from then on.
    Maybe worth opening it up and seeing if the buttons use a ribbon cable/connectors that can be disconnected?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Master
    Eddie,

See if you can free the volume button. Perhaps a pin or spring bar tool down the side of the button (with the monitor turned off of course).

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    It's the monitor and all the control buttons are unresponsive. Can't access the menu, can't turn it off via the buttons only through pulling the plug. Unplugged it and left it for a few minutes and as soon as I plugged it back in, the window was there again. Pity, it's a good monitor apart from this. The control buttons appear to be microswitches and the volume one is locked solid.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post
    Eddie,

See if you can free the volume button. Perhaps a pin or spring bar tool down the side of the button (with the monitor turned off of course).

Pete
    Window says menu to exit so I’d look at that button.

I've had a small screwdriver down the crack at the side of each button and no joy.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I've had a small screwdriver down the crack at the side of each button and no joy.

Eddie
    Take that screwdriver, pry open the front of your monitor (while on), and reach in with a tweezers and grab the offending window, then just pull it out. Press the front of the monitor back on. Problem solved!

My fee: one 36mm Smiths Everest.

What size screen is it? Depending on where you are I have a teeny-weeny 15” tft screen that you can have if it would be any use to you?

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    What size screen is it? Depending on where you are I have a teeny-weeny 15” tft screen that you can have if it would be any use to you?
    Thanks but I have a spare 19", the offending monitor is 22".

Eddie

Is there a chance that the problem screen was left sitting in its buttons, that would have over time caused the metal membrane behind the buttons to deform resulting in them being permanently pressed?

Journeyman
    This is the on-screen display belonging to the monitor so don't bother with the antivirus and tinkering around your operating system.

It is likely due to a stuck button, or some other monitor fault. Try to open the screen and access the part where the PCB with micro switches is on the front, your problem is probably there.

I suspect it is in some way related to Brexit.

Everything else is......

Master
    It's gotta be something like
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YITqCXAeN5M

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I suspect it is in some way related to Brexit.

Everything else is......

In that case, give Boris a call... he's got as much chance of fixing the monitor as anything else !

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    In that case, give Boris a call... he's got as much chance of fixing the monitor as anything else !
    He would tell you to believe in the monitors ability to fix itself in spite of all the facts and evidence that its broken, it was great before and with the right positive attitude it can be great again.
    Cheers..
    Jase

That's most certainly a dialog box from your monitor, not Windows. If possible you can test by plugging the computer into another screen, or another computer into this one.

If you've already mashed the buttons and a power cycle doesn't make this disappear, it sounds like a fault. Not unfixable, but hard to troubleshoot without physically being there. I'd be taking the monitor apart and cleaning up the PCB and switches.

Best of luck