closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Virgin broadband users?

Any Virgin broadband users?

If so give them a ring you may be due a "free" upgrade.
    Ours has been fing awful for weeks having to constantly reboot the router due to poor speeds. Had enough last night and gave them a ring. Basically said that I'm due a new Superhub3 and there's no no point doing any diagnostics on my old one......thanks for telling me then!
    Give them a ring- not sure what constitutes a free upgrade but it's worth the call.

Is yours Virgin Cable or ADSL Dudley?

I’ve had a superhub3 for a few years now, didn’t work that well until around the beginning of this year I think when they finally released a firmware upgrade to fix a problem that virgin knew about for 2 odd years.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Is yours Virgin Cable or ADSL Dudley?
    Good question - think its cable

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I’ve had a superhub3 for a few years now, didn’t work that well until around the beginning of this year I think when they finally released a firmware upgrade to fix a problem that virgin knew about for 2 odd years.
    They said it was released in March this year, I guess it’s flannel then

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    They said it was released in March this year, I guess it’s flannel then
    Unless there is an updated version then it does sound like flannel as I’ve had mine for around 2 years now.

Also if you were experiencing drop outs etc then changing the modem won’t fix the issues unless they are strictly related to wireless.

In the router before you logon on have a look at the upstream and downstream stats and post them here as that might indicate any connection problems.

Had massive problems with my superhub3. 3 new hubs 2 tech visits and still could not sort it. Mostly the apple products where struggling with really bad connections and low speeds . After lots of searching and trial and error I performed a few tweaks that have made it stable.
    I logged on to the router and turned there optimization setting off. Then set the channel on 5g to a manual one. Change the password for the 5g channel to a different one that the 2g.
    If I lose power I have to reset these setting but now the service is what I pay for.

Blog Entries
    Wait for the nice gentleman from 'BT Openreach' to call you and tel you how slow your broadband speed is. 'Cos he can see how slow your internet is......innit...
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

What I did was set the superhub to modem mode - and then plugged in my router of choice to manage
    my network ( google wifi )

no further issues with the hub getting the full 368mb download.

cheers

matt

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    What I did was set the superhub to modem mode - and then plugged in my router of choice to manage
    my network ( google wifi )

no further issues with the hub getting the full 368mb download.

cheers

matt
    I did the same, Superhub 3 is notoriously bad on WiFi, I put it in modem mode and have 3 x TP-Link Deco M5 units acting as mesh routers, my speeds measured at the router are 516mb download and 30mb upload, never get any drop-outs or dead spots.

I've had the Hub3 for ages and never had any issues, but then again I put it straight into modem mode so I can control the security settings that I want.

Fish

No virgin for me for a couple of days, this was their pit this morning

How much is everyone else paying for Virgin broadband? The contract I originally signed up was under £30 with 100mb but now the fixed rate is finished they're asking for £55 the robbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    How much is everyone else paying for Virgin broadband? The contract I originally signed up was under £30 with 100mb but now the fixed rate is finished they're asking for £55 the robbers.
    £33, they pushed ours up to £55 a short while ago, but we threatened to leave

Mine is 29 for home phone and 100mb broadband, my prices also went up but I had a few conversations with retentions who put me onto the £29 deal for the next 12 months, they also gave me one-off credits of 32 and 20 to bring the price down a bit.

Thanks guys. I'll threaten them and go back to Talk-talk if they don't fold.

I'm getting 100 MB/S plus with phone (which I deliberately don't use) for £27 pcm. Had I signed up without the phone it would have been £35 pcm.
    Shall look out for their latest deal when it comes up for renewal next February.

Thanks guys. I'll threaten them and go back to Talk-talk if they don't fold.
    You CANNOT be friggin' serious ??? That's who I left !!

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    You CANNOT be friggin' serious ???
    You are John McEnroe and I claim my £5.

That £27 deal is for new customers and is the one that I was aiming for but they said no way, new customers only. Can’t wait for the new regs to kick in whereby they can’t limit deals to new/old etc.

I'm getting 100 MB/S plus with phone (which I deliberately don't use) for £27 pcm. Had I signed up without the phone it would have been £35 pcm.
    Shall look out for their latest deal when it comes up for renewal next February.

You CANNOT be friggin' serious ??? That's who I left !!
    Well, that worked, back down to £32 for full package including TV, phone and 100mb
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 8th July 2019 at 13:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Good question - think its cable
    You're in Bassett aren't you ? I'm not sure if this applies to the outer suburbs, but on my side of town it's a combination of fibre optic and copper cable.

I don't know if you're aware of the history, but it's here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swindon_Cable

In a nutshell, in Swindon, Virgin Media broadband uses some of the old Swindon Cable TV network.
    My Virgin Media fast fibre broadband was technically mis-sold to me as 'fibre broadband right to your door'.
    It's fibre broadband to the green junction box at the end of our street (about 100 yards away). From there it's copper cable to the house.
    When they first installed mine, they couldn't reach the contracted 100 MB/s speed (let alone the 'super fast' 200 MB/s option).
    Initially I was getting only 22 or 23 MB/s, so they had to run a new cable. That's when I found out it was actually copper.

Incidentally, Virgin Media's fibre distribution hub / control centre is the old Radio Rentals / Swindon Cable building on the Hawksworth Industrial Estate - corner of Newcombe Drive and James Watt Close.

You're in Bassett aren't you ? I'm not sure if this applies to the outer suburbs, but on my side of town it's a combination of fibre optic and copper cable.

I don't know if you're aware of the history, but it's here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swindon_Cable

In a nutshell, in Swindon, Virgin Media broadband uses some of the old Swindon Cable TV network.
    My Virgin Media fast fibre broadband was technically mis-sold to me as 'fibre broadband right to your door'.
    It's fibre broadband to the green junction box at the end of our street (about 100 yards away). From there it's copper cable to the house.
    When they first installed mine, they couldn't reach the contracted 100 MB/s speed (let alone the 'super fast' 200 MB/s option).
    Initially I was getting only 22 or 23 MB/s, so they had to run a new cable. That's when I found out it was actually copper.

Incidentally, Virgin Media's fibre distribution hub / control centre is the old Radio Rentals / Swindon Cable building on the Hawksworth Industrial Estate - corner of Newcombe Drive and James Watt Close.
    We had swindon cable in Bassett and so suspect it’s probably the same for us. I knew that it was fibre to the box but I assume it was just copper to the house and the join was in the box in the front path.
    Bad really when you consider the age of the Swindon cable network

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    My Virgin coax into my house (20 years old cable) easily supports my 500mb plus broadband. Remember that the copper used by BT and other suppliers can be 50 year old ‘bell wire’ from your nearest telegraph pole.

Master
    Virgin digging up our pavements outside today so expecting a knock at the door soon, if I swop Sky for Virgin for tv and do phone/broadband what deal should I look for? Ta.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Virgin digging up our pavements outside today so expecting a knock at the door soon, if I swop Sky for Virgin for tv and do phone/broadband what deal should I look for? Ta.
    Do you want Sky Sports, Cinema & BT Sport?

Master
    Na, the sports I watch are on Premier sports package £99.00 a year, we have Sky+ HD on the entertainment? pack, it's about £46 a month, phone/broadband from someone else at about another £30, didn't realise it was that much, don't watch the tv much apart from the above sports pack.
    Might need to have words with the gaffer.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Na, the sports I watch are on Premier sports package £99.00 a year, we have Sky+ HD on the entertainment? pack, it's about £46 a month, phone/broadband from someone else at about another £30, didn't realise it was that much, don't watch the tv much apart from the above sports pack.
    Might need to have words with the gaffer.
    I have the full works with Virgin @ £99 per month
    500mb Broadband
    Line Rental landline anytime calls inc Mobiles
    200 + TV Channels
    Sky Sports & Cinema HD
    BT Sports 4K
    Mobile Sim, unlimited data, calls & texts
    2 x TiVo boxes (all repairs & replacements free)

Well, that worked, back down to £32 for full package including TV, phone and 100mb
    Well that's better than my deal which is £45 a month, Broadband and landline (which I don't use but was told it would be cheaper with) - speed is 200Mbps down and 10Mbps up. The last time I complained about the poor speed, they provided a new SuperHub and ramped the speed up to 200 from the nominal 60 but actual 20. I do download multi-gig installation files and large video clips for work, so am a captive to Virgin, as the other local providers cannot match that speed.

Mines 53 a month just for broadband... and just had the email saying its going up in Sept by 3.50

cheers

matt

Craftsman
    Yes I've just received a letter saying please give us more money...think I might have to complain see if they will back down.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie215 View Post
    Yes I've just received a letter saying please give us more money...think I might have to complain see if they will back down.
    Definitely ring them, they almost always reduce your monthly payment if you push them politely.

Being polite is the key and if you don’t get any traction when you call, thank them, hang up and call back in a few days time. To get my current deal took 3 calls, the first 2 were insistent that there was nothing that they could do.

We were with virgin, it worked well, we had a super hub 3, we moved to sky/bt 2,5 years ago, I had a call from them offering me a special deal which turned out to be £4 a month more than I thought we were paying, it turned out that they had increased the direct debit twice without notifying us, so check your bank statements carefully if with Virgin.