closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Internet "Powerline" adapters

Master

Internet "Powerline" adapters

Probably an idiot question but I know nothing about electrics.

I've seen TP Link TL-PA7010 adapters on offer at Sainsbury's and thought I might give them a try to improve wifi speeds away from the router.

Is the electrical wiring in my house a single "network" for this purpose? Was going to get a set for me (3 storey town house built about 20 years ago) and a set for my brother (old big detached 2 storey house).

Any advice gratefully received.

I have a TP-Link 500Mbps setup running a stand-alone network between my shed and the house. Works great for my needs, though performance does obviously depend on how much traffic you're putting through it.

The model you suggest has double that, so should be really good. In fact, I might just upgrade!

Craftsman
    They work great yes, I've had one years.
    Router is in corner front ground floor of house, CCTV set up top floor diagonally at back, could never get decent speed there, these cured it.
    I've now moved on to one with WiFi (because I now use a laptop up there as well) so the power line adapter at rear of house now also throws out a WiFi signal which covers the rest of the house the router doesn't reach.
    Works very well, not quite up to speeds of direct lead to power line, but not far off.

Blog Entries
    I use TP Link 500 Mbps - connected to my Virgin superhub & an Apple Airport Express on the other end.
    I aloocated the airport express the same SSID - so it's appears to be one Wifi network wherever you are in the house.
    Works well - until the hub developed a fault... but that was replaced & all good again now.

z

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I have a TP-Link 500Mbps setup running a stand-alone network between my shed and the house. Works great for my needs, though performance does obviously depend on how much traffic you're putting through it.

The model you suggest has double that, so should be really good. In fact, I might just upgrade!

Thanks.

They are £18, reduced to clear so I had better get down there!!

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Thanks.

They are £18, reduced to clear so I had better get down there!!
    No worries. They are good bits of kit. Never had an issue with my set-up, it's been totally reliable since I bought it - too many years to count!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    I've now moved on to one with WiFi
    Ah! I think that might be the catch. I was thinking that these were both an extender for "wired" devices but also gave a WiFi signal!

Master
    If you have a second router you could connect it to one end of the powerline connection to extend your WiFi reach - needs a bit of config on the router but easy enough to do (there's probably a how-to on YouTube). I've done this myself in my garage.

Ah! I think that might be the catch. I was thinking that these were both an extender for "wired" devices but also gave a WiFi signal!
    The model/system I use and the one you've suggested are indeed wired. Sorry if I mistook you're requirements

As monogroover says, it can be done but you'll need yet another bit of kit!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    The model/system I use and the one you've suggested are indeed wired. Sorry if I mistook you're requirements

As monogroover says, it can be done but you'll need yet another bit of kit!
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    If you have a second router you could connect it to one end of the powerline connection to extend your WiFi reach - needs a bit of config on the router but easy enough to do (there's probably a how-to on YouTube). I've done this myself in my garage.

Thanks chaps. I wasn't clear in what I was after, to be fair! Having looked at the TP-Link site, there are models that provide both wired and WiFi - just not as cheap as the Sainsbury's offer!

I have a set of these if you're interested?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    I have a set of these if you're interested?
    Definitely if they do WiFi!

So the small one plugs into the router and then the 3 "satellites" give a WiFi signal?

How have you found them reliability wise? I just want something to plug in and forget about!

Have you upgraded?

Powerline is great if you're on the same breaker circuit (same ring) but has anyone tried them on a different ring, i.e. through two breakers? When I did it didn't work. (To be fair that was on a spur out to a granny annex, i.e. breaker, breaker, spur, breaker.)

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Powerline is great if you're on the same breaker circuit (same ring) but has anyone tried them on a different ring, i.e. through two breakers? When I did it didn't work. (To be fair that was on a spur out to a granny annex, i.e. breaker, breaker, spur, breaker.)
    I'm no electrician so not sure if this is what you mean?;

One TP is connected into my house mains, the other is in my shed, on the circuit of another RCD unit. Works fine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Ah yes, I got waylaid!

That was my question. How do I know what is on the same ring? For a 3 storey modern house, would it be one ring?

Ah yes, I got waylaid!

That was my question. How do I know what is on the same ring? For a 3 storey modern house, would it be one ring?
    Switch the breakers in the fusebox and see what goes off. Good to know anyway, ideally they're labelled.

Definitely if they do WiFi!

So the small one plugs into the router and then the 3 "satellites" give a WiFi signal?

How have you found them reliability wise? I just want something to plug in and forget about!

Have you upgraded?
    They are excellent but I've just got tired new bt smart hub 2 so have mesh WiFi discs now. The power line was really good. They do need reconnecting if the router is rebooted but it's really easy. I'll pm you.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    They are excellent but I've just got tired new bt smart hub 2 so have mesh WiFi discs now. The power line was really good. They do need reconnecting if the router is rebooted but it's really easy. I'll pm you.

Cheers!