closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cloud photo storage - any recommendations?

Cloud photo storage - any recommendations?

Looking for cloud photo storage just in case my external HD goes pop.

I've got over 75GB of pics and I'm predominantly a mac user apart from my android phone. My criteria are as follows in no particular order:

Looking for an app and desktop system that allows for easy uploads from apple photo.
    An easy/logical interface would be appreciated.
    Not looking for any additional retouching/editing functions.
    I rarely use Raw files but the ability to store them would be good for future use.
    Ideally I don't want a system that has a file size limit or resizes my images.
    Not really interested in storing movies.

iCloud would seem the convenient option but I'm looking into other alternatives. Oh and I'm an Amazon Prime member and Amazon Photo's has unlimited free storage from what I've read. I also use Photobucket for hosting my images but for how much longer is debatable.

Any recommendations would be appreciated, thanks for reading.

Gary

I have my files in triplicate on external hard drives. The cloud is effectively a huge external hard drive beyond your control and I have nothing at all stored or backed up there. But that's me, old fashioned in the digital age!

Apprentice
    I too am a bit old fashioned and dont want my photos stored on someone elses drive online.

I have a Synology NAS, (Network Attached Storage) It is connected to my own wireless network, has security built in and can be in the loft or garage. It provides easy, relatively quick access.
    I also backup to an external drive regularly.

Apprentice
    Entered in error
    Last edited by redkite; 6th July 2019 at 09:49. Reason: Duplicate

Master
    Surrey, UK. Odiáxere or somewhere in-between
    Blog Entries
    Jumping in here - not watch related so I guess ok!

Microsoft Cloud
    Google Cloud
    Amazon Cloud

Are the biggest players in the cloud storage environment - all have different price plans (google gives you 2TB free if you give them all your data - so they can scan all your photos with auto-face recognition and location tabs!)

Apple iCloud may be the simplest - 200GB for £2.49/month or 2TB for £6.99/month - seamless interface with all apple devices - saved me having to restore all my photos and they are kept in cloud storage - lot safer than on spinning disks that can go up in flames - best option is to backup locally and remotely of course - a 2TB USB 3.0 external drive is cheap these days - just remember to back it up - cloud storage will auto backup if you want.

I use smugmug for photo hosting - have done for years and never had issues. (www.smugmug.com)

All the best

Martyn

I have my photos on a local hard drive (twice), a local NAS, and on Flickr Pro.

Personally I like Flickr Pro, and don’t begrudge paying for it.

Master
    I have Computer, which backs up to NAS, which I back up to a portable hard drive that sits locked in my work office.

If you are looking for a solution to just view in the cloud, Google Photos is free and unlimited but will compress.

If you are looking for a proper backup (and view) at Hi Res Dropbox Pro or OneDrive

Thanks all.

I went for Amazon Photos in the end, primarily because it doesn't compress images and unlimited storage is free for Prime members.

Last week I uploaded over 30,000 images and, although it took some time, there were no issues. The hardest part was finding my images in apple photos, as they're buried away in sub files in the program. Apple's filing and infrastructure used to be so clean and logical but they seem to be making it as hard as possible for people to switch or use multiple formats. Protecting their interests I guess but it's very annoying.

So far I'm impressed with Amazon Photos, pretty strong people and location recognition and a good simple interface. I bought a new photo printer last week, so will have hours of fun printing out family pictures and some of my photographic endeavours.

Thanks again,

Gary

Journeyman
    Im using Backblaze. A great cloud back up/storage but i also have 2 separate drives which back up my imac so i have several options if anything happens to my pc

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Thanks all.

I went for Amazon Photos in the end, primarily because it doesn't compress images and unlimited storage is free for Prime members.

Last week I uploaded over 30,000 images and, although it took some time, there were no issues. The hardest part was finding my images in apple photos, as they're buried away in sub files in the program. Apple's filing and infrastructure used to be so clean and logical but they seem to be making it as hard as possible for people to switch or use multiple formats. Protecting their interests I guess but it's very annoying.

So far I'm impressed with Amazon Photos, pretty strong people and location recognition and a good simple interface. I bought a new photo printer last week, so will have hours of fun printing out family pictures and some of my photographic endeavours.

Thanks again,

Gary
    I have recently started using Amazon Photos and so far I've been impressed with it too.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.