closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Green Flag

Master

Green Flag

Just received a renewal notice asking for 30% more than last year from the thieving parasitic scum aka Green Flag. To be fair they are probably no different from any other thieving parasitic scum aka the 'Insurance Industry'. In 4 years with them we have never called them out. How many people just bend over and take it from these profiteering pos organisations? Or do you fight and cajole for every penny?
    I've just tweeted them something similar. The response should be interesting.
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 19th July 2019 at 19:34.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Just received a renewal notice asking for 23% more than last year from the thieving parasitic scum aka Green Flag. To be fair they are probably no different from any other thieving parasitic scum aka the 'Insurance Industry'. In 4 years with them we have never called them out. How many people just bend over and take it from these profiteering pos organisations? Or do you fight and cajole for every penny?
    I've just tweeted them something similar. The response should be interesting.

I left them when my "valued customer" discount left me with a premium greater than a new punter. I pointed this out to them and they weren't interested in doing anything about it.

I was with them for 2 years.

Called them out once when my Volvo broke down on the M4.

They sent a subcontractor called 'Automania' who was almost aggressive in his attitude when he found that the motorway way patrol officers had pushed the car behind a barrier near a bridge - saying that it made his job harder. When I told him that they had done it so that my daughter and I could stay in the car due to the sub zero temperature he simple swore. After getting us to help him push the car onto the main hard shoulder he made no attempt to see what the problem was and said that he intended to put the car on the back of his lorry and take it to my house about 6 miles away. We had to look away as he lay down on the ground to attach a towing device with his head and shoulders sticking out into the inner lane of the motorway. No hi viz jacket - only a fag hanging out of his mouth.
    The cab that we got into for the trip home looked like the inside of the serial killers house in the Silence Of The Lambs and he chain smoked all of the way despite my request from him not to.

I complained to Green Flag and they didn't seem to give a damn.

Went back to the AA, paid the extra and have had excellent service on the 3 or 4 times I have used them since then.

Master
    I have been with the RAC for 37years and now have a black membership card!
    Guess what, every year I have to call them as my membership renewal is more then a new member would pay, they always reduced my renewal cost after a phone call.
    Last year I complained that the yearly ritual was ridiculous and they agreed and said they would freeze my renewal payment for two years, I have just had my renewal letter and guess what, again they have changed me more than last year!!!
    I did an on line check and it seems some policy’s have an excess attachment (£40ish) which you pay for each call out, this keeps the membership price lower and if you never/rarely call them out may be a good option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use Green Flag, albeit it's through a packaged back account with a couple of insurances bundled in. I've called them out maybe 3/4 times and it's always a sub contractor. For the most part I've been happy, but I guess it's postcode lottery to an extent if they sub contract in your area.

I'm not one for normally advocating a packaged bank account, but the insurances in mine are with the monthly cost of the account. It may be worth exploring this rather than dedicated breakdown cover in isolation.

Master
    As said some cover can be found as part of your bank account. The level of cover does vary from account to account.

When we used to take it out (now got a lease car) we'd play the annual game of cancelling and taking out a new deal via Quidco or similar. Sometimes with the RAC but normally with the AA, as when we have needed to use them the AA seemed to be more interested in solving the problem then just towing it home or to a garage.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

The same happened to me earlier in the year. Eye-watering rise. Give them a ring, stone-walled. Left. Pffttt.

What a ridiculous business model, it's not like we don't all talk nowadays. It must be a better business model than providing a reliable service at a reasonable price I suppose. The accountants win again.

Master
    Things should get better later this year as the insurance industry will not be able to differentiate between premiums for new or existing customers from September. About time, but it will mean higher premiums for new customers I think

It is the same as most other 'subscription' businesses now it seems.

Car insurance
    House insurance
    Electric supplier
    Gas supplier
    Home phone
    Mobile phone etc etc

Their whole profit model relies on customer lethargy, which works as most don't have the time or energy to renegotiate every single contract, every single year. It does grind you down as it is the same old merry-go-round annually.

I recently renewed and renegotiated my Sky home line and 8 weeks later they increased their costs, so I had to call them again to complain. It is such an utter waste of life.

It is an annoying practice and I am glad that curbs are being introduced.
    On the subject of Green Flag, I have been with them for a good few years under the auspices of the Caravan & Motorhome Club, as they are unusual in that they cover trailer problems also. The coverage is called Mayday, but it is Green Flag under another name.

Nothing but praise for them.
    Last edited by unclealec; 5th July 2019 at 10:42.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Things should get better later this year as the insurance industry will not be able to differentiate between premiums for new or existing customers from September. About time, but it will mean higher premiums for new customers I think
    Yes, this just means that prices will go up for everyone and negotiatability will reduce. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by dizz View Post
    I have been with the RAC for 37years and now have a black membership card!
    Guess what, every year I have to call them as my membership renewal is more then a new member would pay, they always reduced my renewal cost after a phone call.
    Last year I complained that the yearly ritual was ridiculous and they agreed and said they would freeze my renewal payment for two years, I have just had my renewal letter and guess what, again they have changed me more than last year!!!
    I did an on line check and it seems some policy’s have an excess attachment (£40ish) which you pay for each call out, this keeps the membership price lower and if you never/rarely call them out may be a good option.

I go through the same routine with the RAC every year. Phone them up, complain, and they always come back with a cheaper quote than their renewal notice says, and inevitably even cheaper than the previous year! They seem to think they’re doing me a favour, but I ask them, if they can find me a better price then why not just do it in the first place and save all this!?

Actually, I think I enjoy this little annual dance...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post

Car insurance
    House insurance
    Electric supplier
    Gas supplier
    Home phone
    Mobile phone etc etc
    Breakdown cover via my Lloyds account so no worries there. Insurance for the 996 is through Sheila's Wheel (I know) and the renewal just came through, £15 lower than last year at around £230. No complaints from me and won't bother to shop around (but I have a strange urge to buy some shoes).

I use AutoAid (as recommended by MoneySavingExpert)

Our overall top pick is AutoAid for the price and the great feedback it receives. The cost for the year is £59.99.

• It insures the person, so you'll be covered in any eligible vehicle you're driving at the time of the breakdown. The vehicle must have up-to-date tax and a valid MOT.
    • Free cover for a husband, wife, civil partner or common-law partner. You'll need to provide proof of the relationship within seven days, eg, both names on a utility bill, shared ownership of residential property or joint lease or rental agreement.
    • It provides onward transport. Most budget policies only allow the car to be fixed at the roadside or towed to a garage. With AutoAid, you'll get transport to your chosen destination for up to six people.
    • Home breakdown cover, limited to £65 per call-out. It pays for labour and recovery, but not parts. The £65 limit is usually enough to cover the call-out fee and any basic labour charge.

Master
    Recently renewed our Green Flag cover, renewal popped through the post, up on last year so I checked online, 18 quid cheaper via their website so I called them, helpful lass on the line juggled the way I had listed the cars and saved me money, now it’s us that are covered not the cars, result, rarely do renewals not require a call to get the best price.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Recently renewed our Green Flag cover, renewal popped through the post, up on last year so I checked online, 18 quid cheaper via their website so I called them, helpful lass on the line juggled the way I had listed the cars and saved me money, now it’s us that are covered not the cars, result, rarely do renewals not require a call to get the best price.
    It can definitely depend who answers the phone! Should be a no brainer for them to offer you the new customer rate.

Actually, thinking about it, the first time GF did it to me, I applied as a new customer via TopCashBack and got a "Win/win"!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post

Car insurance
    House insurance
    Electric supplier
    Gas supplier
    Home phone
    Mobile phone etc etc

Their whole profit model relies on customer lethargy, which works as most don't have the time or energy to renegotiate every single contract, every single year. It does grind you down as it is the same old merry-go-round annually.

I recently renewed and renegotiated my Sky home line and 8 weeks later they increased their costs, so I had to call them again to complain. It is such an utter waste of life.
    This is so true.
    They all seem to operate the same way. It's the apathetic auto-renewal types who have ruined it for the rest of us. I shall have the same goat-dance with my broadband shortly. In fact some advice about that would be useful if anyone is in the process of switching.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pinpull View Post
    I go through the same routine with the RAC every year. Phone them up, complain, and they always come back with a cheaper quote than their renewal notice says, and inevitably even cheaper than the previous year! They seem to think they’re doing me a favour, but I ask them, if they can find me a better price then why not just do it in the first place and save all this!?

Actually, I think I enjoy this little annual dance...

Ha! ...got through to the help line and was told my RAC premium is still frozen from last year and the letter I received was incorrect and that they were aware that the wrong letters were going out to customers.
    Had a nice chat with the helpline chap and pointed out I wasn’t spared my yearly phone call that freezing my policy was supposed to do and as such could he freeze it for another year and spare me the call next year, he laughed and said .....‘well I haven’t been told I can’t, so yes I will’, ...result! (I won’t hold my breath though)

Quote Originally Posted by dizz View Post
    Ha! ...got through to the help line and was told my RAC premium is still frozen from last year and the letter I received was incorrect and that they were aware that the wrong letters were going out to customers.
    Had a nice chat with the helpline chap and pointed out I wasn’t spared my yearly phone call that freezing my policy was supposed to do and as such could he freeze it for another year and spare me the call next year, he laughed and said .....‘well I haven’t been told I can’t, so yes I will’, ...result! (I won’t hold my breath though)

Excellent result!

But of course, the ‘wrong letters’ were going out to the customers, and just as well you called! Cough ...

Master
    I’ve been with Start Rescue for years, and used them a couple of times once for a breakdown and the other for a recovery.

Can’t complain at all. Yes they use local breakdown/recovery firms, but then so do Green Flag so I figured I’d take my chances and pay a lot less in the meantime.

They seem to score pretty well in the response times measures compared to some anyway.

Master
    After my tweet Green Flagellists are now trying to offer me a lower cover for a (obviously) reduced price. I am sticking to my plan and insisting on same cover same price or I'll roast them on SM. I've already got a lower quote elsewhere but they've got-my-goat now.

Master

Update

Green Flag
    Verified account

@GreenFlagUK
    Replying to @HarrySmith
    Morning Harry, I'm sorry we haven't been competitive this time around, and I'd be happy to check this for you. So I can, please can you message me your full name, and are you the policyholder? Thanks, Dan
    Actually the policy is under the name of Linda

Green Flag
    OK, no worries. I'll just take some of Linda's details and check the price. What's the first line of her address, postcode, and DOB please? Also, please can you confirm your full name too? Amy

Jul 8
    Harry Smith
    If you cannot offer to renew at same terms and price as last year(after another CLAIM FREE year I might add) then we have nothing to discuss. I have absolutely no intention of being extorted by another 23% for the same product I rarely use.

Green Flag
    I understand, I'll be able to check the price for you. So I'm able to do this, please can you tell me your full name? Chloe

Jul 8
    Harry Smith
    and I am also on the policy

Green Flag
    Perfect. So I'm able to check the policy for you, I just need to ask a few questions. Changes to the terms and conditions are outlined in your important information leaflet. Is anything incorrect on your renewal documents, or has anything changed in the last 12 months? Chloe

Jul 8
    Harry Smith
    Everything exactly the same

Green Flag
    Thanks for waiting and confirming this. I can see my colleague has previously reduced the level of cover, and brought the price to £133.28. We've been able to apply a discount, and I can get it down to £106.40. Would you be happy to go ahead at this price? Amy

Jul 8
    Harry Smith
    So why should I have my cover reduced just to pay less? That get's me nowhere. If you are refusing to give me the same cover at the same rate as last year then say so and I will buy elsewhere but be assured I will make this plain on Twitter and fb.

Green Flag
    I can see that your cover was reduced when you spoke with my colleague on 1 July. If you'd like to keep the same level of cover you had previously, which was recovery plus. The price would be £183.68, however, we can apply a discount to bring the price to £146.94, to keep the same cover as you had before. Would you like to go ahead with this price at all? Thanks, Aston

12h 10 hours ago
    Harry Smith
    So, I am still being expected to pay more than the £143.36 I paid last year even though another year has passed and we have not made a claim. If you can discount to £146.94 why not just make it £143.36 and then I will go ahead? Or is it company policy never to give the customer exactly what they want. We have 2 good cars that are still under warranty and the other is low milage anyway so why not be decent about this and have our money for nothing again this year?

Green Flag
    I’m sorry we weren’t more competitive this time around. There are lots of different rating factors which are taken into account before offering a price however, I'm unable to discuss the specifics as this is company sensitive information. I appreciate it's frustrating when your price isn't what you were hoping for, and if there was anything more that could be done, we certainly would. Please can you let me know what you’d like to do? Chloe

2h 37 minutes ago
    Harry Smith
    So, you lose another customer for £3.58? What a great way to run a business. Maybe if you gave a reasonable renewal price in the first place this would not have been an issue. I can guarantee one thing, this will cost your company more than my premium. You show contempt for your customers by your indiscriminate and wholly disingenuous manipulation of figures.