closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex YM 40 v Rolex YM 37

Master

Rolex YM 40 v Rolex YM 37

Am thinking of buying one of these, looking at prices there is a massive difference between the two models. Is the 37mm model see as a ladies model? I have small wrists so sure it will fit fine, just wondering on the forum view. Seems perfectly acceptable for guys to wear a 36mm DJ, just wondering if people have the same view for the YM 37 with it being a sports model.

Cheers
    Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My friend has a bimetal 37mm and it looks very small compared to the 40mm when on the wrist. Did you feel your 40mm Rose Gold was too big?

Master
    My TT 40mm was a good size, no issues. I’m looking at the RG model on oyster flex, there is about a 3-4K price differential between the 37-40mm models. I think deep down I know the 37mm will be too small, it looks it even in side by side shots next to the 40mm.

Oh well, the search goes on!

You'll definitely need the 40mm Rose Gold on OF. They do feel small at 40mm compared to the SS on oyster bracelet.

Master
    40mm is probably too much of a stretch price wise. Plus if I’m spending that much there are other models I prefer such as the Pam 684.

I’ve got the 40mm everose on oysterflex and smallish wrists. The 37mm is just too small on the wrist IMHO and I went for the 40mm. It’s a hell of a watch though, just note that the oysterflex is sized to you so you potentially need a new strap (1 or both sides) if buying pre owned which isn’t cheap.

Master
    I think I’ve got to try one on at least then I’ll know for sure. I’m popping to a dealer today, will report back later.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye View Post
    Am thinking of buying one of these, looking at prices there is a massive difference between the two models. Is the 37mm model see as a ladies model? I have small wrists so sure it will fit fine, just wondering on the forum view. Seems perfectly acceptable for guys to wear a 36mm DJ, just wondering if people have the same view for the YM 37 with it being a sports model.

Cheers
    Mike

Take a walk down any street, in any town, in any day of the week and you will see lots of happy men wearing a watch below 36mm.

Don't let yourself become a sad neurotic WIS fretting over trivia.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

Don't let yourself become a sad neurotic WIS fretting over trivia.
    Excellent advice
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Grand Master
    The 37mm is geared for Ladies or Smaller Asian market and would be a trickier sell once you tire of it
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Most people will see the 37mm as a womans watch, I wouldn't buy one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    The 37mm is geared for Ladies or Smaller Asian market and would be a trickier sell once you tire of it
    This is my concern

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    How do we know that 37mm will not be fashionable in a few years time. Todays fashion is tomorrows naff.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    How do we know that 37mm will not be fashionable in a few years time. Todays fashion is tomorrows naff.
    Very true, why not invest in that market whilst its still reasonably priced
    RIAC

Master
    The golden rule....if in doubt, don’t buy. And you are in doubt.

Master
    Just tried it on...it is tiny, and I have small wrists. Bank balance is safe...for now.

Craftsman
    My father in law traded in his perfectly fine explorer for a 37mm yacht master; he’s an idiot.

Master
    What should I be looking to pay for the 40mm rose gold YM on oysterflex?

Craftsman

design

Just tried it on...it is tiny, and I have small wrists. Bank balance is safe...for now.

Some watch models can carry a scaled down version but unfortunately i do not see this for any of the Rolex sports range. The design lends itself well to 40mm but anything smaller and some would say anything larger then the aesthetics of the watch are lost in those proprtions.

Craftsman

pre owned

What should I be looking to pay for the 40mm rose gold YM on oysterflex?

The rose gold appears to sit on the pre owned market at around the £16-17k mark, with the new release white gold version currently hitting £5K over RRP at £26k at WF and our very own 100thMonkey Blowers.

Master
    Tried on the 40mm rose gold on oysterflex today...worlds apart from the 37mm one. The 40mm has a nice weight to it. Now to try and find a decently priced one!

Master
    Picked this up a few days ago...over the moon with it. Love that it has a proper double lock clasp, balances the watch off perfectly.

Surprising how understated it is, I feel it is definitely less showy compared to the two tone rose gold version I had on bracelet. The oysterflex strap and ceramic bezel give it an overall muted look.

Master
    Congratulations - looks excellent.
    Did you go for a new one or pre owned?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Congratulations - looks excellent.
    Did you go for a new one or pre owned?
    Pre-owned. Glidelock on the new ones would have been nice but get quite a decent fit with the standard size straps.

Craftsman
    I've tried the YM 37 a few times, partly as I have a small wrist, but also because the girlfriend wants one for an upcoming big birthday.

While not one for me at the price vs other contenders, it's still a handsome and rarely seen model

Just seen you went for the Rose gold, which would be my choice for the YM, stunning watch!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidsteruk View Post
    I've tried the YM 37 a few times, partly as I have a small wrist, but also because the girlfriend wants one for an upcoming big birthday.

While not one for me at the price vs other contenders, it's still a handsome and rarely seen model

Just seen you went for the Rose gold, which would be my choice for the YM, stunning watch!
    My initial choice for the rose gold was the 37mm, but when I tried it on it was way too small, and I have small wrists. The 40mm is perfect.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post

The rose gold appears to sit on the pre owned market at around the £16-17k mark, with the new release white gold version currently hitting £5K over RRP at £26k at WF and our very own 100thMonkey Blowers.
    That seems insane. These new gold/tt models will not be hard to get from an AD at list, or below... Local AD has 6 of the 126603 sitting idle in the safe, very low interest.

Master
    Go to a good independent; you can order a gold model....any model...although you will usually now face a wait of several months. Rolex UK no longer seem to hold much stock, they order from Geneva according to demand. Hence the wait. Although, sometimes, not often, you might get lucky and find just what you want, in stock.
    Usually though, a bit of patience will get you what you want. Especially from an independent who had a more direct incentive.....I’ve never yet paid retail for gold, although discounts are shrinking, and I’d never, never, pay a premium from a grey supplier.

Lovely watch, more pictures when you get a chance would be great

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt.D View Post

+1 that’s a Beauty.

Master
    I am a bit of a YM fan, previously had a TT White dial YM which I loved and foolishly traded for a PAM. Currently have a SS YM2.
    Tried on the new 42mm WG YM and was totally blown away. Amazing piece, but impending house move is sucking up all my capital so I will have to wait.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master

Some pics from earlier today. Loving this watch!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I wish those inside “flaps” on the Oysterflex were not there. Makes the watch feel top heavy. Otherwise, a lovely piece.

Craftsman
    The 40mm Yachtmaster already wears small compared to a SubC, so the 37mm just looks tiny as men's watch.

On the other hand this rose gold Yachtmaster is really a beauty.

Sent from my SM-G975F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dabear View Post
    The 40mm Yachtmaster already wears small compared to a SubC, so the 37mm just looks tiny as men's watch.

On the other hand this rose gold Yachtmaster is really a beauty.

Sent from my SM-G975F using TZ-UK mobile app
    The 40mm would wear small compared to the thicker and clunkier designed SubC.

Depending on wrist size the 37mm might work, most DJs are 36mm, but there still could be that niggling feeling “I bought the cheap one, instead of the proper one”

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    I wish those inside “flaps” on the Oysterflex were not there. Makes the watch feel top heavy. Otherwise, a lovely piece.
    Interesting. Michael, how does yours wear? Did you get yours with the correct (for you) sized strap lengths? Apologies if you’ve covered this already.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Personally I think the flaps elevate the strap and acts as a cushion as your wrists shrinks/swells as the weather changes. Without it it would certainly be harder to get a fit that would be comfortable in all weather conditions.

Master
    Interesting. Michael, how does yours wear? Did you get yours with the correct (for you) sized strap lengths? Apologies if you’ve covered this already.

Mine came on the standard size straps and I have the clasp adjusted to the smallest setting and it fits fine. When picking up my Tudor from Rolex St James I did try a smaller strap on one side with clasp fitted to the largest setting and there was no noticeable difference. With the clasp in the middle setting it was too tight.

Happy with how it wears with the flaps padding out nicely when wrist is smaller in cooler weather and cushioning when the wrist swells in warmer weather.

Craftsman

One to have.

Picked this up a few days ago...over the moon with it. Love that it has a proper double lock clasp, balances the watch off perfectly.

Surprising how understated it is, I feel it is definitely less showy compared to the two tone rose gold version I had on bracelet. The oysterflex strap and ceramic bezel give it an overall muted look.

With the release of the 42mm 226659 Yachtmaster I was interested to see if that release would have an impact on the desirability of the 116655 but appears that the 116655 is the one to have.

The usual secondary dealers have the new 42mm in stock with about a 30% over RRP at close on £28k but no takers and plenty of new unworn on chrono 24 with similar inflated prices. Appears that the secondary market has got this one wrong and the demand for the 42mm is not there. The 40mm Gold is one of the best Rolex issued release ever and can understand why it leaves the new 42mm unwanted.

Good to see the Secondary dealers getting stiffed on the 42mm with no takers for their inflated greed.

Craftsman
    This is my concern

I was in Canary Wharf on Thursday - the WoS Switzerland in he underground mall near Canada square has a 37mm YM in the window. I see you’re in London, might be worth a call and a visit?

Master
    Gold Rolex models should have the matching gold bracelet. Gold and rubber is not a good combination....a cynical move by Rokex to create a new ‘price point’. In the long term, these probably won;t do well among used buyers. I’d avoid.

Craftsman

Rolex YM 40 v Rolex YM 37

On the issue of gold with rubber ... I really like the gold Daytona’s on rubber oysterflex , think they have a really different look to the bracelet ( in a good way)

Also can’t deny this everrose YM also looks great
    Last edited by hot66; 1st September 2019 at 11:17.

Master
    I had rose gold and croc on my Skydweller, but changed to a rubber B which I preferred. Full gold would have been too much bling for me

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Gold Rolex models should have the matching gold bracelet. Gold and rubber is not a good combination....a cynical move by Rokex to create a new ‘price point’. In the long term, these probably won;t do well among used buyers. I’d avoid.
    Obviously opinions differ but I quite like my RG YM on rubber...tones down the watch and makes it stealthy. Years back I used to have a yellow gold GMTIIC which was sooo blingy I was also conscious of wearing it, the YM on oysterflex I worry about less so.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I would have to agree with this in terms of look wise, nothing against rubber straps , think they go well with certain models , but rose gold and gold for me have always been "showy" watches and need matching bracelet to complete the look.
    Lovely watch though