closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Coffee. Aeropress or not?

Master

Coffee. Aeropress or not?

I’ve had an Aeropress for years. Taken it away with me on occasion, but it’s mostly used at home. Sadly the cap appears to have gone in the bin so what’s left is rather useless.

I don’t travel with work that much these days (working from home a lot more too) and I’m wondering what simple coffee making kit might replace my Aeropress, or if I should simply buy another (or the cap of course if it’s available).

Note - I’d happily replace it with a bigger non travel friendly alternative but the wife’s dead against clutter on the worktops and I prefer arguing about other things than “that bloody coffee machine” so it would still have to be fairly compact.

Always been happy with The Aeropress but equally still get a better coffee when going to a decent coffee shop. And if you’ve ever experienced knocking over an inverted one before you’ve put the cap and filter on, you’ll know it’s not perfect.

I tend to use decent beans and still have the manual grinder that I quite enjoy using as part of the experience. Ultimately though I just want to be able to make a nice black coffee...

Any thoughts these days?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

A cap for the normal Aeropress is £6 from https://www.aeropress.co.uk/collections/shop (don't know if it fits the travel version).

In normal, non-inverted mode, if you put the plunger in to form an airtight seal, but don't plunge it, your coffee will sit and brew without dripping into the cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
    I’ve had an Aeropress for years. Taken it away with me on occasion, but it’s mostly used at home. Sadly the cap appears to have gone in the bin so what’s left is rather useless.

I don’t travel with work that much these days (working from home a lot more too) and I’m wondering what simple coffee making kit might replace my Aeropress, or if I should simply buy another (or the cap of course if it’s available).

Note - I’d happily replace it with a bigger non travel friendly alternative but the wife’s dead against clutter on the worktops and I prefer arguing about other things than “that bloody coffee machine” so it would still have to be fairly compact.

Always been happy with The Aeropress but equally still get a better coffee when going to a decent coffee shop. And if you’ve ever experienced knocking over an inverted one before you’ve put the cap and filter on, you’ll know it’s not perfect.

I tend to use decent beans and still have the manual grinder that I quite enjoy using as part of the experience. Ultimately though I just want to be able to make a nice black coffee...

Any thoughts these days?

I realised recently I was doing it wrong and putting in too much water. I grind my own coffee (with a hand grinder) and fill it about halfway, stir for 30 seconds and plunge. Water that's boiled and been left 30 seconds. I've also played around with the coarseness setting on my grinder to adjust the flavour. Unless you've done so already maybe replace the cap and play around with how you make it?
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I realised recently I was doing it wrong and putting in too much water. I grind my own coffee (with a hand grinder) and fill it about halfway, stir for 30 seconds and plunge. Water that's boiled and been left 30 seconds. I've also played around with the coarseness setting on my grinder to adjust the flavour. Unless you've done so already maybe replace the cap and play around with how you make it?
    Oh dear I've just realised I've been preparing it wrong too! I fill up almost to the brim but will try halfway. I have the Aeroccino so had been pretty happy with my cuppa.

If anyone has any good techniques - do share!

To the OP, I don't think there is a better alternative for the quality/routine/budget unless you go up to a Gaggia

Master
    Classic. I love how we’re all making it a little wrong.

Ordering a new cap once in the office...

I use a level scoop of coffee. I half fill the tube with water, give it about 10 stirs, put the plunger in and leave for up to a minute before plunging. I haven't really noticed a difference between hot and boiling water.

I drink coffee like a real man, without milk or sugar . What I have found is that the 'liquor' tastes better if drunk unadulterated, though I top up with hot water to make a full mug.

What I haven't tried is two scoops and a tube full of water. I'm going to try that right now.

Master
    Here's the winning recipe from last years' world championships:

CAROLINA GARAY, USA
    Winner: 2018 World AeroPress Championship
    Coffee: Mugaya AA
    Origin: Kirinyaga, Kenya
    Roaster: Single O
    Importer: Cafe Imports

Brewer position: Inverted
    Filter type: Paper filter
    Filter prep: Rinsed with hot water

Coffee weight: 34.9g
    Grinder: Mahlkonig EK43S
    Grind size: [fine] 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [coarse]
    Water weight: 200g
    Type of water: Filtered water by Brita
    Temperature: 85℃

• Set your water temperature at 85℃.
    • Prepare your filter paper and grind your coffee.
    • Pour 100g of water for 30 sec.
    • Stir vigorously but carefully with wooden pair of chopsticks for 30 sec.
    • Put the filter cap on, flip the AeroPress and press into a glass server for 30 sec.
    • Do not preheat your serving vessel.
    • Top up your brew with 60g of 85℃ water and 40g of room temperature water.

More recipes here:
    https://www.worldaeropresschampionship.com/recipes

Incredible how people really take their aeropress seriously. If you're interested, there's regional competitions leading to the world finals in London this year!

If the OP still wants a viable alternative...I suggest that he does a search on 'Hario v60'. So easy to use and to dispose of the grounds.

I have an Aeropress and a Sage Duo Temp Pro and grind beans with a Sage Smart Grinder Pro. I use the Aeropress when I want a larger coffee. Like you I fill it up to the 4 cup level (inverted). I’m going to try using less water and topping off.

I also have a Sage Smart Kettle so can chose the water temperature I use too. I normally use 95C but will give 85C a try after seeing that recipe.

For some variety I also have Bialetti 2 and 6 cup moka pots. These are great for a smooth morning coffee.

Master

QUOTE=PickleB;5141005]If the OP still wants a viable alternative...I suggest that he does a search on 'Hario v60'. So easy to use and to dispose of the grounds.[/QUOTE]

Thanks PickleB

I’m going to replace the missing cap.

I think that Aeropress caps must be like biros, quietly sliiping away through wormholes in space when your back is turned.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wow - Just clicked on to the inverted method, will give that a try.

Regarding the half fill, I found that if I filled the water to the top it would produce a more bitter brew.

Blog Entries
    Too messy and fiddly- end result was bad so gave it away on here…

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    For some variety I also have Bialetti 2 and 6 cup moka pots. These are great for a smooth morning coffee.
    We use one too for our morning coffee (Aldi's Columbian) ready in no time on the induction hob. Tastes great.

Hello

I love my Aeropress but try an Oomph these are pretty cool with similar results.

https://the-oomph.com/

Best,

Ben

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Too messy and fiddly- end result was bad so gave it away on here…
    Me too, use a stove top now and very happy.

Grand Master
    I’m a big aeropress fan

Recently stopped out using paper for the steel mesh reusable insert and one it a lot better (re easier and same taste)

My method is boil water and leave 30-45 seconds.
    Upside down method with around 2 scoops of fresh ground coffee and filled halfway
    10 second stir, 30 seconds rest then super slow plunge
    RIAC

Grand Master
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I’m a big aeropress fan

Recently stopped out using paper for the steel mesh reusable insert and one it a lot better (re easier and same taste)

My method is boil water and leave 30-45 seconds.
    Upside down method with around 2 scoops of fresh ground coffee and filled halfway
    10 second stir, 30 seconds rest then super slow plunge
    I read with the metal filters it allows alot more of the grinds through than the paper filter. Have you found that?

My method is basically the same but I only use one scoop of beans that are ground and put in my press and then top of with hot water in the cup.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Oh dear I've just realised I've been preparing it wrong too! I fill up almost to the brim but will try halfway. I have the Aeroccino so had been pretty happy with my cuppa.

If anyone has any good techniques - do share!

To the OP, I don't think there is a better alternative for the quality/routine/budget unless you go up to a Gaggia

My Gaggia has been in the loft since I got an Aeropress for travel. The single advantage to the Gaggia is being able to froth the milk properly by ear. After a little experimentation, microwaving to the right temperature followed by a brisk whip with a fork for a few seconds is distressingly identical for far less faff.

And metal filters need to be burned clean on the stove every couple of months or they block up. Paper is better, but marginally. I use both.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I read with the metal filters it allows alot more of the grinds through than the paper filter. Have you found that?

My method is basically the same but I only use one scoop of beans that are ground and put in my press and then top of with hot water in the cup.
    I grind off slightly larger, usually use around a 10 setting but with metal I increase to 12 on my Encore Grinder
    RIAC

Paper filters also take out certain oily, cholesterol raising components.

May or not be a problem to the coffee drinker.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I grind off slightly larger, usually use around a 10 setting but with metal I increase to 12 on my Encore Grinder
    I use 12 too with my Virtuoso, assume it's comparable as both Baratza. Haven't experimented though.

Master

It certainly doesn’t filter to the same degree as a paper filter. Still preferable in my opinion, and as has been pointed out, you can adjust the size of the grind.

That’s the reason I discovered the inverted method, as the first time I used it it “leaked” coffee through before it had had a chance to brew.

Master
    Oh, and like a BIC pen lid, the cap has turned up and I am now drinking a fine cup of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
    It certainly doesn’t filter to the same degree as a paper filter. Still preferable in my opinion, and as has been pointed out, you can adjust the size of the grind.

That’s the reason I discovered the inverted method, as the first time I used it it “leaked” coffee through before it had had a chance to brew.

Ok thanks. Still got a bag and half of papers to get through yet but may look into a metal filter

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    My Gaggia has been in the loft since I got an Aeropress for travel. The single advantage to the Gaggia is being able to froth the milk properly by ear. After a little experimentation, microwaving to the right temperature followed by a brisk whip with a fork for a few seconds is distressingly identical for far less faff.

And metal filters need to be burned clean on the stove every couple of months or they block up. Paper is better, but marginally. I use both.
    That’s interesting about burn cleaning metal filters.

I’ve tried 2-3 different metal filters for a V60 drip and found that after a few uses they always clogged up.

No amount of cleaning them made any real difference, in the end they were ‘recycled’ and I went back to paper.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by timor54 View Post
    That’s interesting about burn cleaning metal filters.

I’ve tried 2-3 different metal filters for a V60 drip and found that after a few uses they always clogged up.

No amount of cleaning them made any real difference, in the end they were ‘recycled’ and I went back to paper.
    That one in my picture above must of made at least 400 cups with just a rinse and all fine
    RIAC

Journeyman
    https://www.baltzersens.co.uk/baltze...v60-aeropress/

From a cafe near me in case you’re interested.

Me? I’m happy with a French press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I used to use an aero press. Since trying a Hario V60 with paper filters it's been rather gathering dust...
    I grind the coffee very fine; less is needed for the Hario, and the flavour is more subtle (and the caffeine level much higher!).
    It's 'fundamentally' a matter of taste.

Best wishes,

AP.

Has anyone tried the Aeropress Brew Recipe Dice (link)?

Here's what they're all about:

A bit of a thread revival for this review:

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post

The steam wand on my Gaggia has packed up, so I heat up milk in a pan and put it in a caffitiere . Half a dozen pumps on the plunger and it’s texture seems almost identical to the steam wand

Quote Originally Posted by para-dox View Post
    The steam wand on my Gaggia has packed up, so I heat up milk in a pan and put it in a caffitiere . Half a dozen pumps on the plunger and it’s texture seems almost identical to the steam wand
    See also 'How to Steam Milk Without an Espresso Maker' two thirds of the way down this page....link.

Could be an easy fix, if it’s just the wand that’s playing up, less straightforward if it can’t generate steam any more. What are the symptoms?

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    See also 'How to Steam Milk Without an Espresso Maker' two thirds of the way down this page....link.
    Thanks nice for the link, interesting read. Gonna give the jar and microwave method a go

Perfect opportunity to change to a Rancillo

I'm using one on my pimped up Gaggia Classic, a great entry level into espresso making

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    I've used my Aeropress most days for 15+ years. Still going strong and makes brilliant coffee.

I used one for 10 years, inverted method

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk