closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: TZ-UK Goes to Glashütte Part 5 – Glashütte Original

TZ-UK Goes to Glashütte Part 5 – Glashütte Original

TZ-UK Goes to Glashütte Part 5 – Glashütte Original

So, after we had finished our wonderful champagne lunch at A. Lange and Söhne, our thoughts turned to, how do you follow that? Well, with a trip to Glashütte Original, of course!

Whilst ALS is part of Richemont and visits are by invitation only, GO are part of Swatch and are more open to visits. However, we were asked if there were any GO owners in our group and luckily, we had two who then had to register their watches on the GO website before our booking was agreed!

We were met in the reception by our lovely hostess who seem a little shocked and a little intimidated that we had just come from ALS! In the GO lobby they had a large array of watches which you could view but unfortunately, we were not able to try them on or even handle them.

We also learned that Friday afternoon is not the best time to visit as many of the staff leave early on Friday…the lucky devils! You could see that GO is much more geared up for visitors because all the workstations are behind glass observation windows as you walked around an inner perimeter that looked out over the lobby. It gave a bit of a surreal ‘zoo’ like feel as we walked around and peered through the windows to watch the skeleton staff at work whilst they tried to hide from a bunch of gawking watch nerds! So, we never had the chance to talk to any of the employees or watchmakers as we worked our way up the 3 floors.

Whilst this may sound a little negative it isn’t meant to be as the tour had a lot to live up to after ALS and GO was very interesting and our hostess was very knowledgeable and gave us lots of in-depth information from all the stages of what it takes to make a GO so special and certainly makes me appreciate mine even more. In fact, at each workstation there were displays of each of the relevant processes showing how each component comes into being and is finished. So even if the watch makers were not there we could see what would have been happening and what they would have been working on.

However, the highlight of the tour was when we got a chance to try our hand at watch making and trying to:

•Bevel edges of a balance cock

•Screw in 18 screws to the balance wheel – Impossible!!!

•Polished a swan neck

•Blued some screws by hand

This was great fun and showed just how patient and skilled the GO watch makers are especially regarding the balance wheel where the record for them inserting all 18 screws is around 5 minutes and whereas only one of our group managed to get just 1 screw inserted in that time. We have a long way to before we will be offered jobs methinks!

Finally, our tour came to an end and we met back in the lobby/reception and GO kindly gave use a bag of lovely swag! We were able to keep our passes, the screws that we had blued and then received a large bag full of brochures and a massively heavy hardbacked slipped cased book all about the GO manufacture which we then found in the museum on the next day for sale…I think we were very impressed and shocked with GO’s generosity.

Then we escaped to a local cafe to await our trip up to the Wempe observatory later that evening

Last edited by paw3001; 2nd July 2019 at 14:04.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    ... and whereas only one of our group managed to get just 1 screw inserted in that time...
    I think we can put on the record who that was.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I think we can put on the record who that was.
    Sorry I can’t remember who it was ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting hands on experience with some tools was one of the highlights of the entire trip for me, and it transformed what could have been a fairly dry tour into something memorable and unique. To be able to leave with a screw blued by our own hands was a lovely touch.

Master
    Love seeing the photos of what looked an amazing trip & combined with experiences. Intrigued as to who is who in the photos tho!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing those great posts.

Now I waiting for TZ-UK Goes to Glashütte Part 6 - The Barber Shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
    Thanks for sharing those great posts.

Now I waiting for TZ-UK Goes to Glashütte Part 6 - The Barber Shop.
    No, you got that wrong. The Barber shop episode is part 5.4 - part 6 is about the lost watch of the Klingon commander.

Master
    Great pics and write up, thanks to all for your time in putting that together.
    Last edited by pembers; 5th July 2019 at 22:12.

Even I can’t remember what Part 7 is suppose to be?

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Even I can’t remember what Part 7 is suppose to be?

Part 7 is about the trip to the petrol station to buy beer when the hotel bar closed early. Awaiting completion by Omegamanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Part 7 is about the trip to the petrol station to buy beer when the hotel bar closed early. Awaiting completion by Omegamanic.
    The debauchery and riot that degenerated into may be a tale best left untold.

Who is producing the Lebowski annex?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    The debauchery and riot that degenerated into may be a tale best left untold.

Who is producing the Lebowski annex?
    Soundood?