closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fire door (front door) for flat?

Craftsman

Fire door (front door) for flat?

My sister in England has been going on about buying a fire door (front door) for her flat for a year. It's doing my head in!

Where's the best place to go a for a fire door built to the latest code? She wants something white with a bit of glazing. She's talking about spending £1250, down from £1500. Is this right?

Any ideas gratefully appreciated. She lives on The Wirral.

I’ve been shopping for fire doors for my apartment on the IoM lately. I came across a supplier in Yorkshire called Emerald Doors- their prices seem keener than anywhere else I’ve found and their range is huge.

HTH.

Master

We supply aluminium bifolds and composite doors, have you got a design that your looking for specifically, I’m sure I can sort something out for you.

Updated....
    Just spoken to our main leaf supplier and there’s a new code legislation coming in around October so any door purchased before that will probably not be in code after that.
    Something to do with grenfeld the fire regs have been put under scrutiny and now we’re waiting for amendments, and new fire testing,this is what I have been told it’s not something I deal with day in day out.

Also if the door has to have paperwork there has to be a certain fire door cert, the fitter has to have a certain qualification to sign the door off, but again I don’t know the circumstances of requirements.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fordystar; 8th July 2019 at 12:16.

When shopping for an unglazed one in SE London I found a very posh firm wanting £1300, and a scruffy shop in Penge willing to do it for £700. The latter did what I wanted it to - shut up the owners of my building, who were objecting to the door I had - but I'm sure the posh door would have been a significantly superior product.

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    As mentioned below do bear in mind that any fire door is only as good as its' installation. There are numerous ways to make a mess of the install that totally negate the factory rating of the door assembly - this was one of the Grenfell findings. Even under current regs you want it installed and certified strictly in accordance with the door's factory test conditions by someone with FIRAS or BM Trada credentials, and you should be left with paperwork certifying both the factory testing of the door set, including all ironmongery, and a certificate/inspection report regarding the installation.

You particularly need to watch out for things like letter plates - if the door was factory tested without one then it cant have one installed later and still be a certified fire door unless the test records say otherwise.

Master
    Curious

Is a fire door with glazing inherently less fire safe than a solid fire door? i.e glass blows out/melts first.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    Curious

Is a fire door with glazing inherently less fire safe than a solid fire door? i.e glass blows out/melts first.
    No. Fire doors (with or without glass) are tested to meet certain performance criteria (time ratings for integrity and/or insulation normally). So long as the doorset is manufactured and installed correctly it will give the performance it is certified to give, which is all that really matters. It's perfectly possibly (albeit rather expensive) to have a 100% glass door that provides full fire performance.

Normal glass as a material actually has a pretty high melting point. and fire rated glass is even better, certainly in comparison to things like brass (screws), aluminium or die-cast (additional locks often added to fire doors) and it's quite close to steel - It's far from the weakest link in a fire door assembly.

In some ways having glass is a benefit, particularly to the fire fighters who can see what's happening on the other side of the door before they risk opening it.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    Curious

Edited
    Answered superbly above.

Craftsman
    I'm finding it an interesting subject, even being on the other side of the planet.

She told me that the government said there will be no new rules coming out and the installer does not have to be certified. This is based on calls to the department in London.

Conversely, at the same time she is being told by retailers that manufacturers have stopped manufacturing for now because they are waiting for some new rules. Plus, the installer needs to have some certification.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    When shopping for an unglazed one in SE London I found a very posh firm wanting £1300, and a scruffy shop in Penge willing to do it for £700. The latter did what I wanted it to - shut up the owners of my building, who were objecting to the door I had - but I'm sure the posh door would have been a significantly superior product.
    Could you share the details? I’m in SE19 and at some point I want a new door for my flat in a block of 14. The previous managing agents wanted to do the doors for the leaseholders and a mains fire alarm system, then it all went quiet and the new managing agents sent a note about having current spec fire alarms etc but at our own cost and fitting (which I prefer) and no mention of mains powered or threat of inspection or certification.
    That said I would like an up to date door anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Could you share the details?
    The shop was diagonally opposite The Pawleyne Arms iirc, and well SExx it was - eg cash only

It's worth noting that a fire door alone will not be certified unless supplied with a door frame tested with it (unless the rules have changed since I last fitted them)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by m4ckg View Post
    It's worth noting that a fire door alone will not be certified unless supplied with a door frame tested with it (unless the rules have changed since I last fitted them)
    Quite right. Door leaf, frame/lining, hinges, latch, closer, intumescent and smoke seals all have to be present and correct in accordance with the factory test documentation. If any one of them is wrong or missing the door assembly will not do it’s job, as the lost souls of Grenfell found to their cost. It’s very simple really - fire doors are key to fire safety and they have to be working correctly - I would emplore everyone to do it right and don’t skimp; a few hundred quid saved could cost you dear.

I remember attending a passive fire safety course a few months after the Grenfell tragedy. The chap delivering the course expressed his shock that the 30minute fire doors (Flat entrance doors) had lasted 15 mins before failing; scarily he was actually shocked that they had lasted that long (he was expecting failure after 5mins) given when the building was constructed - chilling...
    Last edited by Mr Nuttington; 8th July 2019 at 22:51. Reason: Typo correction

I’d like to know where they get there prices from £1300 and £700 ,you can pick a door up for £50

Why do you need a fire door as a front door? I'm a site facilities manager for a public building adhering to very tight regulations. The front door will be a fire exit but doesn't need to be a fire door unless you are trying to stop the spread of fire from an adjacent building into your building/property.

Added: Ok, so it's a flat with a front door leading to an enclosed communal area, got it. Yes, those prices seem about right. We've spent tens of thousands on fire doors recently.
    Last edited by catch21; 9th July 2019 at 07:43.