closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: TZ-UK Goes to Glashutte Part 4 - A. Lange & Söhne

TZ-UK Goes to Glashutte Part 4 - A. Lange & Söhne

Part 4 of the trilogy: A. Lange & Söhne

After the visits to NOMOS and Moritz Grossmann, we returned to Dresden for a good night out, during which we were joined by two more TZ-UK members for the rest of the weekend. When we met again for breakfast on Friday morning, I was pretty excited: we were going to see the finest manufacture in Glashütte, A. Lange & Söhne.

When we arrived in Glashütte, we were welcomed in their visitor lobby and we saw a video about the company’s history, including its resurrection by Walter Lange and Günter Blümlein after German reunification. Since 2000, Lange has been a subsidiary of Richemont Group, but with substantial independence.

Unfortunately, we were not allowed to take photographs during the visit, which I find understandable both from a data protection angle for their employees as well as to protect their design from the fake industry.

We then proceeded to have a look at the various steps in their manufacturing process. First stop at the department which does the manufacturing of the chain for their fusée-and-chain transmission. This chain is an incredible piece of manufacturing art, consisting of 636 parts of microscopic size which are hand-assembled into the final chain. There are only a handful of watchmakers who are mastering this job and we were able to keep one of them from his work for a good half hour of humour-filled discussion about his incredibly fiddly task. More about the technical background here and in this fabulous video:

Then we walked over to the department where every Lange watch receives its unique hand-engraving. Their master engraver Peter Lippsch was at hand to show us how he engraves flower patterns onto the balance cock by hand. Each engraving is unique and the individual style of the various engravers is instantly recognisable to their expert eyes. Mr. Lippsch did recognise the engraving on my Lange Zeitwerk to be his own work and handed me a signed certificate confirming his work:

More info regarding the various finnissage techniques employed at Lange here.

The next step of our visit led us to the Zeitwerk department, where the world’s first and only mechanical watch with jumping numerals is produced. It was amazing to see how their development team solved the difficulties to deliver the immense force required to push the numeral disc forward every minute, resulting in a modern high-tech calibre of 415 parts. We were shown the assembly of the Zeitwerk as well as its siblings Zeitwerk Date and Zeitwerk Striking Time. Unfortunately no pictures, but I found this video on their homepage:

Before we left, they allowed one photo: a group shot, all of us clad in original Lange lab coats (which we were unfortunately not allowed to keep):

Finally, we were treated to champagne, lunch and watches. And what watches: they had laid out their entire collection on a huge board-room-type table for us to view, handle and try on as we pleased. There must have been 60 to 80 watches on the table with a value of several million pounds:

Altogether the visit to A. Lange & Söhne blew away our expectations in every aspect, for me it was the uncontested highlight of our trip.
    Last edited by Raffe; 2nd July 2019 at 08:57. Reason: typos
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Blimey, that is great hospitality by ALS! So many cool watches, anything take your fancy to add to the collection? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Blimey, that is great hospitality by ALS! So many cool watches, anything take your fancy to add to the collection? ;)
    Actually quite some...

Great hosts, ALS. Really turned it up to 11.

TZ-UK Goes to Glashutte Part 4 - A. Lange & Söhne

I agree A.Lange was the highlight, not just the watches but the hospitality as well.

A fantastic morning which begs the question how do you follow that?

Well with Glashütte Original...coming soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paw3001; 29th September 2020 at 00:28.

Absolutely. Very good hospitality, amazing access to the watchmakers, and finishing off with a look at most if not all of the current collection, including some very special pieces was just incredible.
    It's just a matter of time...

Wonderful stuff. It would be nice to be able to put names to the faces.
    Guess someone wanted to remain anonymous or is that an employee?

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Wonderful stuff. It would be nice to be able to put names to the faces.
    Guess someone wanted to remain anonymous or is that an employee?
    Yep, one of the attendends asked to keep his 'mug off the forum'.

We can play 'Guess for a fiver into the fundraiser' for the other faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    We can play 'Guess for a fiver into the fundraiser' for the other faces.
    PM Sent

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    PM Sent
    Received and still available.

Some more photos of an amazing visit!

That Zeitwerk Date suits you well. What did your wife say?

She said it was strange looking and I said well she must like it as she married me!

I think she was warming to it after that until I told her the price and then she had some choice words for me.

It is first on my list if I ever win the lotto!

Who was making a move for the remaining bonne bouche whilst everyone else was distracted?

I was rather taken with the ALS Venn Diagram model.

Not too shabby.

This is Otto.

Otto has no recollection of signing an image consent form and will be contacting his solicitors, Farter, Luck & Grossmann forthwith.

Otto's favourite was the Ab/Auf.

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

As I recall, Raffe promised to pick me up a 1815 Annual Calendar from the gift shop, but I'm sorry to say his word appears not to be his bond

Sent from my left hand using my right hand

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    As I recall, Raffe promised to pick me up a 1815 Annual Calendar from the gift shop, but I'm sorry to say his word appears not to be his bond

Sent from my left hand using my right hand
    I tried my best, negotiated like a lion but your price limit of £300 proved a bit challenging...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Who was making a move for the remaining bonne bouche whilst everyone else was distracted?

Who ever it was, you must appreciate the discreet movement... It's all in the wrist! :D

Journeyman
    Fantastic, wanted an ALS for ages but I suspect I’ll never be able to afford one :(

Quote Originally Posted by lostp View Post
    Fantastic, wanted an ALS for ages but I suspect I’ll never be able to afford one :(
    These days a precious metal Lange watch can be had for less than half the price of a steel Daytona or a sixth of the price of a steel three-hander Nautilus. Go figure.

These days a precious metal Lange watch can be had for less than half the price of a steel Daytona or a sixth of the price of a steel three-hander Nautilus. Go figure.
    That's bonkers, I know where I'd spaff my spondulicks having seen the craftsmanship in action.

I also know which Lange watch I would have as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An A. Lange & Söhne 25th Anniversary Box Set from the nifty goody bag we were given is being auctioned for the TZ-UK Fundraiser here:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...raiser-Auction

Last edited by Mr Curta; 6th July 2019 at 23:23.

Thank you for the virtual tour.

Last edited by Der Amf; 7th July 2019 at 13:31. Reason: hygiene

I’m just biding my time till Daytona prices line up with Lange chrono prices and my Daytona is off. Give it a year or two?

I honestly think that one day we will look back at some of the ALS prices and kick ourselves that we didn’t buy some more at the time - there are amazing deals of like new watches, and they really are top tier.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I’m just biding my time till Daytona prices line up with Lange chrono prices and my Daytona is off. Give it a year or two?
    Good plan.