closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: TZ-UK Goes to Glashütte Part 3 - Moritz Grossmann

TZ-UK Goes to Glashütte Part 3 - Moritz Grossmann

TZ-UK Goes to Glashütte Part 3 - Moritz Grossmann

Like all good trilogies the narrative of our visit to Glashütte is late in production, in more than three parts, and starts somewhere in the middle. My contribution to this disjointed tale follows.

As further episodes are added a much clearer impression of the trip will certainly emerge. Links will be placed here.

A massive shout out of thanks to the organisers who worked so hard to make this work, and to those whose collection opened some doors - you know who you are

M

Links:

TZ-UK Goes to Glashütte Part 2 - NOMOS

TZ-UK Goes to Glashütte Part 3 - Moritz Grossmann (you are here)

TZ-UK Goes to Glashutte Part 4 - A. Lange & Söhne

TZ-UK Goes to Glashütte Part 5 – Glashütte Original

TZ-UK goes to Glashütte part 6 - Wempe Observatory (the Jerome K Jerome moment)

TZ-UK Goes to Glashutte Part 8 - Uhrenmuseum Glashütte
    Last edited by Mr Curta; 2nd July 2019 at 00:13.

Part 3 - Moritz Grossmann

Moving on from relatively staid NOMOS, we headed up the hill to enjoy an entirely different experience.

Pausing to admire the image of Carl Moritz Grossmann on a commemorative plaque we all agreed that he was a strikingly handsome fellow.

Moritz Grossmann literally look down on the other manufacturers at Glashütte. The edifice opposite is Glashütte Original (of blued screws fame), with the headquarters of A. Lange & Söhne in the more traditional building just next door. The delivery truck at NOMOS can be seen to be having difficulty accessing the loading platform due to the inconsiderate parking of certain visitors.

It transpired that the tour at Moritz Grossmann was to be in German. Fortunately I achieved CSE Grade 3 in 1985 and have retained in memory most of what I learnt then, as you will probably be able to tell from my commentary.

This area is used for preparing fresh sweet treats to accompany the coffee during well earned breaks. The morning Eierschecke is almost ready. Ever attentive to detail, the result will be measured and examined by microscope to ensure that it meets demanding quality standards.

This device is used for injecting raisins into Stollen to provide an exact and uniform distribution.

Moritz Grossmann are innovators in the field of mechanically produced abstract art. By attaching colouring pens to the upper part of the machine and a canvas to the plinth, a clever algorithm results in aesthetically pleasing results as can be seen hanging on the wall in the background.

Another side product are high quality open razors constructed to a closely guarded secret design. Bearded gentlemen are employed to inspect and test each hand finished instrument. Due to the nature of the work this fellow will be taking the next four weeks as paid leave.

Here we see the pencil sharpening department. The emphasis is on quality rather than quantity, otherwise it would be a pointless endeavour.

This artisan is operating an automated hand moisturising machine, provided to ensure that employees digits are always in supreme condition.

We are all most impressed with the results.

Staff are encouraged to pursue their own interests. Those supple hands help our moisturising friend with his hobby of sleight of hand. Here a Euro coin has vanished right before our eyes, ta-da.

When he’s not doing magic tricks he puts a clever swirly pattern onto the toothy bits.

You need steady hands when making hands. This lady is very proud of hers, not even the slightest shake.

If you don’t have steady hands then you might stab yourself in the finger with those little pointy bits.

As many as three watches are produced annually. We finished our tour in the conference room for a hands on experience of the impressive workmanship. Designs are best described as eclectic.

It was a most enjoyable visit. Apologies for any errors in my translation, the German speakers in our group will be able to correct anything that I’ve interpreted incorrectly.

Last edited by Mr Curta; 30th June 2019 at 10:51.

Oh, that was lovely 🖤

Thanks for that Matthew - some nice humour and agree MG seem to make an eclectic mix of watches. I look forward to the rest of the series

Can you please post links to the first two parts.

Craftsman
    Wonderful photos, and illuminating commentary.

I two weeks time I am also scheduled to visit the Grossmann manufactory. I am the owner of two of the things, and hope to pick up a third whilst I am there. I also own three GOs and a Nomos, so I'm sure you will pick up my enthusiasm for the little Saxon village.
    [Those familiar with Glashütte will notice that there is no ALS in my collection. Whilst I think ALS workmanship is probably on a par with Grossmann, unfortunately, none of their products "touch my soul".]

Will add to my own "pigrimage to Glashütte" thread (of last October) on my return.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Can you please post links to the first two parts.
    Patience you must have...

3/10. See me.

Sent through the ether by magic

Wonderful delivery. Needs more Kuchen however.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Patience you must have...
    OK. Great write-up by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by howie77 View Post
    Wonderful delivery. Needs more Kuchen however.
    It needs more cowbell.

(If it makes no sense, utube it.)

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    It needs more cowbell.

(If it makes no sense, utube it.)

Master
    Thanks for the write up Matthew, who knew that all this went on behind. I bet each company has its own secret stollen recipe.

Just want to pull you up on one point. The machine you say is for injecting raisins in to the stollen looks, to my untrained eye, more like a machine for injecting the rum in to the raisins prior to their injection into the stollen. I could be wrong, it was a long time ago since I last witnessed it and the technology has probably changed a lot.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    The machine you say is for injecting raisins in to the stollen looks, to my untrained eye, more like a machine for injecting the rum in to the raisins prior to their injection into the stollen.
    Moritz Grossman are traditionalists in this area and greatly prefer graduated maceration. This is a two day process which takes place largely in the cylindrical chamber on the workbench. The stereomicroscope and other test equipment are used to assess alcohol absorption levels prior to loading into the injector.

Best write-up of the excursion... that GCSE has held you in excellent stead!

What a tremendous trip.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Best write-up of the excursion... that GCSE has held you in excellent stead!

What a tremendous trip.
    You haven't seen parts one, five and seven yet...
    Last edited by Raffe; 30th June 2019 at 23:39. Reason: had to count once more... :smug:
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

This thread makes absolutely no sense to me........in a good way

Das sind mehr fragen als antworten ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Das sind mehr fragen als antworten ;-)
    I think you are quite right, frozen desserts do seem to taste better in warm weather.

Master
    Moritz Grossman are traditionalists in this area and greatly prefer graduated maceration. This is a two day process which takes place largely in the cylindrical chamber on the workbench. The stereomicroscope and other test equipment are used to assess alcohol absorption levels prior to loading into the injector.

My mistake, I had confused the LMX module on the Tornos for something it wasn't. As you say, they are quite the traditionalists if they are still using the manual graduated maceration technique. After Dr Mazerat unveiled the autorosinerumeinsprtizenmaschine (which automatically matches the required rum content to the sugar and moisture content of each raisin) on the 25th of December 1969 Stollen manufacturers began to abandon the graduated technique for this faster, cheaper and (arguably) more accurate process. This paved the way for the Stollen revolution of the 70's. Glad to see the old ways still being practised.

Out of curiosity which timepiece do they use to time the maceration process?

I have sent my typed up contribution for GO attached to a friendly snail and it must have at least reached the end of my road.

I expect it to reach Eddie for uploading to the Forum by 2035!

Ok I’m inspired by these fantastic writes and will tie myself to the PC for the write up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In pursuit of Stollen perfection.

Thanks for this!

One visit, along with the Nomos trip that I wish I had been able to travel earlier for - looks like very good access to most parts of their production too.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    One visit, along with the Nomos trip that I wish I had been able to travel earlier for - looks like very good access to most parts of their production too.
    It was impressive that you managed to reach us at all given the convoluted route and tight transfers!

MG was the only manufacturer that permitted us to take photographs amongst the craftsmen and artisans, and I can only apologise to them for what I've done with that trust.

Craftsman
    MG was the only manufacturer that permitted us to take photographs amongst the craftsmen and artisans, and I can only apologise to them for what I've done with that trust.
    MG people certainly read some forums. I have received compliments from them (and TBH factual corrections) with regard to my posts about them in the past.
    Interesting to see if the TZ visit is mentioned when i'm there in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for posting this, very enjoyable thread. Look forward to clicking on the other links now.

One of us liked it so much at Grossmann that he tried to have himself locked inside the building over night, but the security people paid attention and he was discovered.

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

A jolly reunion meeting took place tonight. Great to see everybody.

It's just a matter of time...

And with a few very welcome interlopers to boot.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Heart felt thanks for obscuring my lock-down hairstyle behind that traffic cone.

Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post
    Heart felt thanks for obscuring my lock-down hairstyle behind that traffic cone.
    I actually had it on top like a hat first, but then thought better.