closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric cars must make a noise

Master

Electric cars must make a noise

Imagine the new options catalogue. Everything from a beginners kit which includes a playing card and a clothes peg up to a personalised audio recording from your favourite celebrity making various “brrrrrrmmmm” sounds.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48815968

I've thought for some time now that someone will make a lot of money doing this. An audio system for your electric car which will be able to download any sound you'd want. V12 Ferrari to a 2CV.

Master
    This could be a lot of fun...
    That said will the uk bother with anything the Eu say now, we will make up our own ridiculous rule no doubt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does make sense at low speed, primarily for the blind, but at higher speeds there isn’t much difference.

Noise regs makes sure the engine noise from ICE vehicles can’t usually be heard above that of the tyres and wind at 20mph plus.

I’d quite happily have my van sound like a WSB 888 or 916 but I don’t think that’d go down too well!

Mind you, this won't help the stupid twits who step off curbs with their headphones on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Mind you, this won't help the stupid twits who step off curbs with their headphones on.
    Lol just choked on my tea but very true

Blog Entries
    First, what FFF said.

New Dutch law: as from July 1, it's no longer allowed to have a phone in your hand when on a bike. A 95 euro fine... Not the ear-bud ban, but it's better than nothing.

As for the electric cars: Ice cream van noises anyone?

A few years ago at the TT, watching the Zero a few of us were remarking on how much excitement and atmosphere the noise contributes to regular motorsport compared to these silent electric bikes.

I recall reminiscing about how as kids we’d cunningly tape a bit of card to our bike forks to engage with the spokes.

Cut down on emission pollution and increase noise pollution. Quality.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    I was recently told that a local surgeon ran into another person in hospital grounds with the result being a broken leg for the stroller.

:-)

B

Craftsman
    Best thing about my wife's Prius is that its good for sneaking up on people ;)

Most people know just dont look anyhow and just step out , deaf people seem to manage just fine crossing the road

Master
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, give it a couple of years and someone will suggest banning electric vehicles due to the high cost of producing, and, or, replacing the batteries, not to mention recycling the old ones.
    It's already started regarding vaping and how bad it will be for you in a few years time with all the shite that's going into your lungs, ( but that's another story ).

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It does make sense at low speed, primarily for the blind,
    For áll in fact. Electric cars have 30% more pedestrian accidents.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, give it a couple of years and someone will suggest banning electric vehicles due to the high cost of producing, and, or, replacing the batteries, not to mention recycling the old ones.
    It's already started regarding vaping and how bad it will be for you in a few years time with all the shite that's going into your lungs, ( but that's another story ).
    There's another thread about electric cars running in here and my main issue with them is Firstly cost.

Its the next big thing, save the planet, the champion of the masses yet they make them virtually financially unviable for a large proportion of the population.
    Of course there's the cheaper ones but who wants to be charging a car every 90 miles.....not me.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    There's another thread about electric cars running in here and my main issue with them is Firstly cost.
    Should that be safety? See bottom.
    It is not just more likely to clobber a pedestrian, they a re also a good deal heaver which equals more damage.

They are more dangerous and not all more environmentally friendly overall; only where they drive electrically.

The ONLY overall advantage is the higher cost. You think about it.

Watching E Formula 1 they sound like dentist's drills 😬 so I hope they don't sound like that whining row😂

Master
    Was looking over an E Tron recently (not to buy, way out of my price range) and I asked the Audi guy standing by it what noise it made at low speeds due to the new regulations and he said it just makes a humming noise, no actual ICE noise at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Should that be safety? See bottom.
    It is not just more likely to clobber a pedestrian, they a re also a good deal heaver which equals more damage.

They are more dangerous and not all more environmentally friendly overall; only where they drive electrically.

The ONLY overall advantage is the higher cost. You think about it.
    They're not more likely to clobber a pedestrian. Just because it's electric it doesn't mean it'll jump off the road and kill someone on a pavement. If it's unsafe it's due to people's stupidity and not the car.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 30th June 2019 at 17:34.

got to be done...

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    This could be a lot of fun...
    That said will the uk bother with anything the Eu say now, we will make up our own ridiculous rule no doubt

Post Brexit I'd like an audio loop of some of the most outrageous lies told by the Leave campaign so that when I am driving around the economic and political backwater the UK will become, my car is warning pedestrians with "We hold all the cards... there will be no downsides, only upsides... £350 million a week extra to the NHS... Easiest trade deal in history... in a 52 to 48 referendum result this would be unfinished business by a long way... Sunlit Uplands..."

And then, as I queue at the checkpoint to show my papers and enter a newly independent Scotland, it will automatically switch over to "If we vote to leave then I think the union will be stronger." (Michael Gove, May 2016).
    Last edited by TheFlyingBanana; 30th June 2019 at 18:22.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    They're not more likely to clobber a pedestrian.
    Statistics say they do; 30%.
    You may think otherwise but traffic code protects the pedestrians. Imo justly so because by deciding to operate a car, the driver assumes responsibilty for it´s killing potential. Sadly, too many drivers are not aware of this responsiblity.

Oh and people are the way they are; stupid. See the line above.

Statistics say they do; 30%.
    You may think otherwise but traffic code protects the pedestrians. Imo justly so because by deciding to operate a car, the driver assumes responsibilty for it´s killing potential. Sadly, too many drivers are not aware of this responsiblity.

Oh and people are the way they are; stupid. See the line above.
    Explain how they're more likely to clobber a pedestrian.

Explain how they're more likely to clobber a pedestrian.
    It’s to do with the way they can silently creep up on you if you are not paying attention and are in the wrong place (read road) at the wrong time.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The BMW 5e I had when my car went in played a engine revving sound under 5mph

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    The BMW 5e I had when my car went in played a engine revving sound under 5mph
    Some beamers have had fake engine sound playing over the stereo system's speakers for years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_sound_design
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Some beamers have had fake engine sound playing over the stereo system's speakers for years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_sound_design
    My Z4 had a sound box enhancement in the bulkhead,but not through the speakers

Easily sorted

Appropriate engine sounds broadcast at all speeds should be a no-brainer. For the safety of pedestrians and all road users.

But the noise in that clip. WTF!
    Last edited by Mouse; 30th June 2019 at 19:59.

They should go one better than Elon, never mind hidden Easter eggs and have the cars make various farting sounds at low speeds

I vote for the sound Tie Fighters make in Star Wars. Or maybe the howling made by a Stuka when it went into a steep dive. Failing that the wibble sound made by the family car on the Jetsons

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Since people like me helped to sabotage Brexit, I'd like to put on audio loop of my car a warning for pedestrians " Wir Deutschen haben alle Karten in der Hand ... es wird keine Nachteile für das föderale Europa geben, nur Vorteile ... 350 Millionen Pfund pro Woche zusätzlich für die europäischen Scheißlöcher, um ihren Lebensstandard zu verbessern ... Das Leben außerhalb der EU ist nutzlos ... in Nach einem Referendum zwischen 52 und 48 werden wir niemals die demokratische Stimme abgeben oder ehren"
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Appropriate engine sounds broadcast at all speeds should be a no-brainer. For the safety of pedestrians and all road users.

But the noise in that clip. WTF!
    I’m actually of the opinion that, other than for the blind, there should be no need for any additional sounds and that people should learn to take responsibility for their own actions and pay attention to what they are doing!

In the meantime, I’m fully aware of the fact that most people are oblivious to their surroundings and therefore take extra care when in car parks or other areas where I’m likely to encounter pedestrians.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Spoken like a true Great Brit as internationally typified by Brexit.

- - - Updated - - -

Spoken like a true Great Brit as internationally typified by Brexit.

I’m actually of the opinion that, other than for the blind, there should be no need for any additional sounds and that people should learn to take responsibility for their own actions and pay attention to what they are doing!

In the meantime, I’m fully aware of the fact that most people are oblivious to their surroundings and therefore take extra care when in car parks or other areas where I’m likely to encounter pedestrians.
    So you've never used sound as a tool to warn you of danger from other traffic when driving/riding/cycling. Er.....ok.

So you've never used sound as a tool to warn you of danger from other traffic when driving/riding/cycling. Er.....ok.
    I never said that but I’ve never driven everywhere with my hand on the horn either!

Banned
    Blog Entries

The rights of safety of pedestraians and other less well armoured, less mechanised users of the public space weighs heaviest.
    The default is being a pedestrian and when you decide to use a car, you take responsibility for the potential lethality of it. E-vehjicles being heavier makes them potentially móre lethal and them moving about in stealth mode does not help.

About that paying attention to what you are doing; a large part of the spacial awareness is sound. Cyclist p.e. are not allowed to have music in both ears for the same reason that e-cars should not drive around in stealth mode.

Master
    I’d like to propose a large V8 combustion engine for the sound effect. What’s not to like?

The rights of safety of pedestraians and other less well armoured, less mechanised users of the public space weighs heaviest.
    The default is being a pedestrian and when you decide to use a car, you take responsibility for the potential lethality of it. E-vehjicles being heavier makes them potentially móre lethal and them moving about in stealth mode does not help.
    With rights there should also be responsibilities. Pedestrians need to learn that in potentially dangerous situations, they should be extra vigilant. I’m not saying that a motorist doesn’t have a duty of care but it’s wrong to always make the motorist the guilty party.

About that paying attention to what you are doing; a large part of the spacial awareness is sound. Cyclist p.e. are not allowed to have music in both ears for the same reason that e-cars should not drive around in stealth mode.
    E-cars don’t drive in stealth mode, they just drive normally. They just happen to be particularly quiet at low speeds. At normal road speeds, they make as much sound as any other vehicle.

The irony that successive governments down the years have sought to vilify vehicles that make too much noise and are now doing the same to vehicles that don’t make enough noise, is not list on me.

Doesnt make them any more dangerous though Cilla. The car is still a car, unless it's got some design fault that makes them more susceptible to mounting curbs? My point was, as Dave just said people should stop looking at their phones and wake up to what's around them.

I never said that but I’ve never driven everywhere with my hand on the horn either!
    Can I invite you to India where most cars have a horn off button rather than on

Well I hope they don't sound like Formula E cars that whine like dentist's drills 😲

That wasn't my point tbh. We'll agree to differ, as I will with various other posters re this topic. No worries.

That wasn't my point tbh. We'll agree to differ, as I will with various other posters re this topic. No worries.
    That’s fine with me. We all have our own opinions of where the boundary lies between our own and the state’s responsibilities to ensure our welfare.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mazda 787b sound for me please

I've decided I am going with the Knight Rider "Wooh wooh" sound, regardless of what car I have it on.

And the horn will be a sample of the first few bars of the theme tune.

And buses too.

The mind boggles. Or is that bubbles?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...hit-wrong-note

I’m picturing buses playing “The March of the Valkyries” as per the helicopters in Apocalypse Now!

When commuting by motorbike through central London I used to rev loudly to stop cretins gazing into their mobile phones from walking out right in front of me. Silent cars and bikes will mean carnage

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    First, what FFF said.
    Jd to have a phone in your hand when on a bike. A 95 euro fine... Not the ear-bud ban, but it's better than nothing.

As for the electric cars: Ice cream van noises anyone?
    If I had an RPG the bstrd that 'popeyes' his way up the street would be toast!
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Cut down on emission pollution and increase noise pollution. Quality.
    I don’t think the plan to make electric cars louder than combustion engined vehicles, just noisy to a similar level.