closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric cars must make a noise

I had a succession of Lexus Hybrids, I used to drive me mad when people walked behind them whilst I was reversing out of parking spaces, I now drive a fairly loud Mercedes and they still do it, proving conclusively that it isn't the cars, people are just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Mazda 787b sound for me please
    Good call, alternating with something with a flat-plane crank V8, and a loop of Jeremy Clarkson ranting about cyclists.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Well I just lost a rather expensive bet.
    I just bought a nice house, a real forever home, but beside a busy 30mph road. I wagered that within 10 years, the passing traffic would be getting quieter.

I say keep e-cars quiet. The population needs a trim, a little Darwinian thinning of those most absorbed by their mobiles wouldn't be a bad thing on the national scale.

The sound of a playing card folded around the front forks of your bike, being held in place by a clothes peg and chattering off the spokes.....

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    The sound of a playing card folded around the front forks of your bike, being held in place by a clothes peg and chattering off the spokes.....
    Does it say something about our relative social classes that whilst you were given playing cards to use, my mates and I were doing exactly the same thing with beer mats?

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    A few years ago at the TT, watching the Zero a few of us were remarking on how much excitement and atmosphere the noise contributes to regular motorsport compared to these silent electric bikes.

I recall reminiscing about how as kids we’d cunningly tape a bit of card to our bike forks to engage with the spokes.
    True.

I started watching the VW thing do its lap of the Nurburgring, but gave up after a few minutes.

Fast, sure, but dull with no sound.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Statistics say they do; 30%.
    You may think otherwise but traffic code protects the pedestrians. Imo justly so because by deciding to operate a car, the driver assumes responsibilty for it´s killing potential. Sadly, too many drivers are not aware of this responsiblity.

Oh and people are the way they are; stupid. See the line above.
    Although the law does put responsibility on the motorist, I think it’s a culture thing, people just aren’t fully switched on to silent cars and the amount of twerps who don’t look is daft, get a dash cam, my friend managed to use it as proof a runner just pelted out from parked cars giving him nowhere to go but hit him, bloke had headphones in and did not even look, even when he came round he threw a round of expletives at him despite the fact he stopped, got a blanket round the chap and called the ambulance! Tried suing him to boot... the front some people have, in the end the runner had to cough up for car repairs! Also the fact he only fractured a wrist with a few cuts and bruises was a lucky escape
    Mental isn’t it but that’s what happened on a busy Cambridge Street

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a toyota hybrid and at low speeds is on the battery of course, quiet but does make whining noises which can be imperceptible to some I guess...

the amount of old (and one occasion a young chap with earphones on) that were jaywalking about the local supermarket car-park and then freaked out as I drove by them keeps on going up

One elderly lady accused me of racing past her too closely (i was crawling along, I guess the sudden appearance of my car out of the corner of her eye freaked her out a bit)

the young guy appeared out of nowhere - I had parked up and gotten out and he came over shouting at me and accusing me of trying to run him over deliberately.
    I vaguely remember driving past him meandering around looking for a parking space in the car-park a few minutes earlier. Myself and my passengers where flummoxed.
    When I politely offered we go and mediate the situation with the security guard and cameras and or police, whilst highlighting he had his earphones in and was walking not on a pedestrian walkway he scarpered away.

Darwinism seems great in principle but I don't want to be personally dealing with killing off people unnecessarily on an ever increasing basis.

Banned
    Blog Entries

To misquote Ralph Nader, e-cars are extra unsafe at low speed.

Fact is that people, including motorists, behave equally stupid at times.
    Second fact is that for modern man it is not the default to be tuned in to silent threats.
    Lastly the motorist is responsible for driving a motorised vehicle.
    Combine the three and the driver of a silent car has a problem but them being equelly human as pedestrians forces the law makers to come up with this regulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSAW3cHPA0I
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 2nd July 2019 at 12:31.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    Does it say something about our relative social classes that whilst you were given playing cards to use, my mates and I were doing exactly the same thing with beer mats?
    Not really, I seem to recall they were Happy Family cards and was too young to go into pubs........

Master
    Statistically are Deaf People (is that the politically correct term?) more likely to be hit by ICE cars?

Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    Statistically are Deaf People (is that the politically correct term?) more likely to be hit by ICE cars?
    You can call 'em what ever you like. They can't hear you. :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    If you were proper posh you'd have Spokey Dokeys out of a Kellogg's Cornflakes box

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    If you were proper posh you'd have Spokey Dokeys out of a Kellogg's Cornflakes box
    In a Yorkshire accent "luxury, we used to dream of Kellogg's Cornflake boxes "

Master
    Ice lolly sticks are the best bicycle wheel plectrum.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    I have a toyota hybrid and at low speeds is on the battery of course, quiet but does make whining noises which can be imperceptible to some I guess...
    My wifes Prius makes a whining sound , usually its just me ! Joking aside the Prius in the US has sound box that makes a noise below I think 16 mph , a few videos on youtube . I must admit enjoying sneaking up on people with it usually in car parks but most people seem to become braindead after parking their cars and becoming a pedestrian

Master
    I personally don’t like the low whiny sound most make, so a C63 rumble appeals to my inner child.

Sadly, at some point someone will come up with a sound box that makes the pop bang sounds that the yoof of today seem to love so much though.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    I must admit enjoying sneaking up on people with it
    Hope you can take it if one kicks a nice dent in your door in a reflex response.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Hope you can take it if one kicks a nice dent in your door in a reflex response.
    So you think that’s an excusable response for not paying attention to your surroundings?