closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Scout World Jamboree US Dollars

Scout World Jamboree US Dollars

Looking for forum advice, my son is 15 and has been selected to attend the work scout jamboree this summer in West Virginia. We have packed everything but are now being told we need to look into safe ways of him having Dollars over there. One option mentioned was a mix of cash and a fairFX card? He will also need a small amount $50 Canadian too.

What are the best options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hide the money inside his packet of soap.....no one will ever look there.

Master
    FairFX works well, our county leaders are issued with FairFX cards for the WSJ, I've opted to take part in another international trip with our county and we will also be using FairFX

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    FairFX works well, our county leaders are issued with FairFX cards for the WSJ, I've opted to take part in another international trip with our county and we will also be using FairFX

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Awesome thank you

When our son went on his first solo trip abroad I set up a joint CaxtonFX card, which I believe is similar. The big advantage as far as I was concerned being the ability for me to top it up remotely for him in the event of any unforeseen circumstances.

Craftsman
    Have you got a Monzo card? Easy way to control, see, lock and top up spend. Maybe a backup option?

Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Have you got a Monzo card? Easy way to control, see, lock and top up spend. Maybe a backup option?
    We haven’t though I guess they are not hard to set up? We still have a few week before he leaves

Master
    Similar to Monzo is Starling.

We use it whenever & wherever we go abroad and top-up the balance with sterling from whichever of our accounts we choose instantaneously via BACS - there is no need to select a currency for use. There are no fees whatsoever and it uses the interbank exchange rate. The app also gives you the ability to freeze the card should you misplace it.

In short it's FANTASTIC!

likewise Revolut, Transferwise cards

I have only used but can recommend FairFX. It is pre-loaded so you (and he) knows exactly how many dollars he has to spend (and can check the balance easily enough). Plus as mentioned if the money doesn't last as long as planned you can top up remotely.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Precisely what my son has in Dubai this month…. We loaded it up and he’s got it when he needs it out for cash or general purchase…. It’s not his name (he’s only 16) but, it hasn’t caused an issue…