closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend me an air rifle please

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Encouraging people who probably have never shot before to start considering buying air weapons to control vermin/pests thinking they are easy to become proficient with is just silly.
    Agreed, squirrels are tough buggers, anything but a clean head-shot takes practice and as has been said the experience to adjust for windage and elevation, they maybe pests but the objective is a clean humane dispatch.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I have a second hand BSA super10 that is perfect for vermin control. It’s incredible accurate with a Hawkes scope, and an FX foot pump takes the hassle out of recharging . Regarding accuracy, use a bipod or a shooting stick to ensure you have a stable platform, I’ve got this one for standing shooting:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nitehawk-Ad...x=niteh&sr=1-5

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Agreed, squirrels are tough buggers, anything but a clean head-shot takes practice and as has been said the experience to adjust for windage and elevation, they maybe pests but the objective is a clean humane dispatch.
    This.

I’ll leave it here and let the experts continue with their advice.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 30th June 2019 at 09:12.

Craftsman
    Agree about the practice (and the bipod for a full sized rifle -- less necessary with a "bull-pup").

I have a springer from Weihrauch, and two PCPs from FX (Cutlas and Wildcat (FAC)) -- all .22. Delighted with both FX models.

Other tip -- cheap pellets are less consistent. I have standardised on Air Arms.
    Last edited by Yokel; 1st July 2019 at 09:14.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Do you eat them?
    As a 12 year old I was given a very tasty stew whilst staying with friends in Switzerland, it turned out to be squirrel stew!

Quote Originally Posted by browjam View Post
    Do you eat them?
    As a 12 year old I was given a very tasty stew whilst staying with friends in Switzerland, it turned out to be squirrel stew!
    I last had squirrel stew about a month ago,

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    My pound coin size grouping was a minimum before even considering firing at anything living.
    You say hitting a pea sized target at 40 yards would be achievable by most. Having seen a lot of people shooting I don’t think that would be true. Most would have little idea to begin with.
    Having a race car doesn’t make you a racing driver, the same applies.
    Encouraging people who probably have never shot before to start considering buying air weapons to control vermin/pests thinking they are easy to become proficient with is just silly.
    You seem to have completely misunderstood my post. I was not encouraging anything of the sort, and was just pointing out that pound sized grouping with a PCP would suggest the shooter is anything but competent or ready to hunt, and that's completely ignoring the other factors involved.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    ^^ That looks interesting. What's the general consensus on pellet - 22 or 177 ?
    This argument has been going on for years!!!! .22 better stopping power, .177 higher velocity, flatter trajectory so more accurate, so better pellet placement, I use to hunt very successfully with a .177 and saw no reason to change, having said that both calibre's have there own merits

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    ^^ That looks interesting. What's the general consensus on pellet - 22 or 177 ?
    This argument has been going on for years!!!! .22 better stopping power, .177 higher velocity, flatter trajectory so more accurate, so better pellet placement, I use to hunt very successfully with a .177 and saw no reason to change, having said that both calibre's have there own merits

Master
    Just a note about pellet size as hunting rifles isn't my area of expertise...

You've been given the issues with both .177 (too likely to penetrate) and .22 (trajectory not as flat, so more likely to miss if range isn't correctly calibrated) so if you see a good price on a used .20 rifle it could be the best of both worlds.

Less pellet selection, yes, but plenty of choice for what you need.

I'd also argue that pellets are so cheap, you should be buying the best. And be sure of hitting what your aiming at - cheap SMK (etc) pellets will be all over the place

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by browjam View Post
    Do you eat them?
    Does it taste like chicken. If my little Westi could talk she would tell me, as she has killed two young ones that had strayed into the garden,and could not get to the safety of the trees in time

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Does it taste like chicken. If my little Westi could talk she would tell me, as she has killed two young ones that had strayed into the garden,and could not get to the safety of the trees in time
    More like rabbit but then rabbit tastes a bit like chicken, very little meat on squirrels.

Master
    Forgot to say, if you join a local field target club, they often have spare guns to borrow/hire/buy and folks will instruct you in safe and accurate shooting in a friendly and professional environment. I learned more in my first session than in years of "plinking"!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    I have issues with squirrels. Would it be illegal to buy an air rifle for controlling those? They are grey squirrel, and there is a small woodland at the back of the garden. I've tried traps, and even electrocuting the bstards but they are too clever by half, they see me coming and stick their little middle fingers up at me and run off laughing.......
    They appear to be all over the place in Kent. Fine until they get in you property!

Master
    And please take very very great care if you do get one: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-48839849

Get a decent slingshot and some 16mm ball bearings. Honest it will definitely do what you need it to. And about 30 quid will get you setup. Thank me later.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    And please take very very great care if you do get one: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-48839849
    Not being flippant but I assume you agree the same advice should be given to anyone who buys a car?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The old man should have got a longer sentence, bloody fool, an illegal airgun and no gun safety whatsoever, first rule of handling pistols rifles bows etc, don't point it at anything you don't want to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    The old man should have got a longer sentence, bloody fool, an illegal airgun and no gun safety whatsoever, first rule of handling pistols rifles bows etc, don't point it at anything you don't want to kill.
    And don't store the fecking thing loaded!
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Back to the OP question. As mentioned above the Gamo Phox is a great starter point and often sold as a kit with scope and a stirrup pump and even a tin of pellets :-)

https://www.theairguncentre.com/phox-mk2

If this is simple local pest control then it's daft spending more money. The Phox is fine for pigeons and squirrels up to 30 yards. My advice though is buy a pack or targets and a simple holder and an extra tin of pellets and do some serious trial shots zeroing at 10, 20, 30 yards until you can consistently get the bull. If you aim for the chest of a pigeon then that's quite a large target area. Don't bother with head shots... their heads twitch all over and unless you are lucky I think the chance of a head shot is quite low, BTDT! Squirrels are easier IMHO because they tend to stand there looking around so you have longer to aim. My preference for up to 30yards would be a 0.22 for more knock down oomph but, I'm sure, others will have their own opinions on that subject ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Not being flippant but I assume you agree the same advice should be given to anyone who buys a car?
    I would if they'd never owned a car before, as my father did for me the day I passed my test. I would also argue that most people would recognise that a car has potential to be lethal whereas the perception by many, is that an air rifle would not be lethal to humans.

I would if they'd never owned a car before, as my father did for me the day I passed my test. I would also argue that most people would recognise that a car has potential to be lethal whereas the perception by many, is that an air rifle would not be lethal to humans.
    Fair comment Sir. I think that unfortunately too many people think that a motor vehicle is a perfectly ordinary and everyday thing and that it is their absolute right to own and operate one, without any thought as to the death and injury that can result from careless or reckless use of the vehicle.

Blog Entries
    I have a number of air rifles, pcp and CO2, these have little or no recoil. My FX Verminator has a baffled barrel but I have also fitted a moderator so this rifle is silent,
    - this rifle and kit though would be over budget. I also have a Sig Sauer MCX and a Sig Sauer MPX, both CO2.
    The key points to remember (sorry if I’m teaching you to suck eggs) are that with ‘springers’ the recoil occurs before the pellet leaves the barrel, telescopic/optical sights do not make you a good shot, they amplify mistakes - practise and knowing your rifle makes you a good shot. CO2 capsule weapons (large or small capsule) give very different results depending on temperature, the colder the ambient temperature the lower the power drops. A good option may be something like a Sig Sauer MPX which is CO2, and buy a PCP conversion kit so you get both options (I have done this). The Sig is good fun too as it has a true semi automatic function, I have a .177 and use RWS hollow point pellets. At the ranges you are talking about stopping power will not be an issue, some people have commented that the trigger can feel heavy but I do not notice that.
    Finally, reiterating what others, and I, have said previously practise until you can consistently get 2cm groupings as it is not fair on whatever you shoot if you only wing it.