closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Burglar alarms

Journeyman

Burglar alarms

I'd like to install my own alarm system but have no experience of what's out there. Not looking to spend too much (£300 max). Any recommendations? Not fussed whether it's the latest smart ones or the traditional wired. Thanks.

Master
    hi,i fitted a yale wireless system about ten years ago,been no problem at all apart from the obvious battery changes.seems much better than my neighbours expensive wired and maintained and monitored system which seems to go off once a fortnight for no apparent reason ,when he has to come home from work to check it, he is not amused
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 29th June 2019 at 08:17. Reason: sspelin

I second the Yale. Had a Samsung smart things alarm before that and I used to get tonnes of false alarms. The Yales do the job and I've never had a false alarm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I ended up buying a Texecom Richochet system- heads and shoulders above the Yale system, little tricky to configure but texecom support first class.
    Last edited by Rob153; 29th June 2019 at 12:02.

Check out the Risco self install ones.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Check out the Risco self install ones.
    We’ve got a RISCO wireless, not £300 I’m afraid but great alarm system. Support line is superb

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jakesblue View Post
    I second the Yale. Had a Samsung smart things alarm before that and I used to get tonnes of false alarms. The Yales do the job and I've never had a false alarm.

I third the Yale. Piece of cake to install, even I did it without any hassle and it's been totally reliabe. No false alarms so go for it.

Looking at the Yale systems - presuming the detectors use batteries, how long to they last?

Journeyman
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! It looks like the yale system is the one to go for

Craftsman
    Texecom is one of the best alarms on the market and to be honest not rocket science to fit, even the smart system.

As a basic system I had a texecom verities R8 for over 10 years. You can purchase everything for under £200 plus fit yourself.
    Think I've had a couple of false alarms in the 10 years.
    Yale is ok but for me a total DIY fit.
    Don't get me wrong will do the the job but not a professional system.

Master
    I bought a Texecom but had it fitted due to it replacing and old hard wired system. Some of the wires weren't working so half of it is hard wired and the other half wireless. Excellent system and the app offers good functionality too.

Craftsman
    I second texecom....... Had it fitted last year and had the additional app module fitted this year (not in stock at the time). So far so good.

I have the complete wireless system. It cost, supply and fit, 4 wall sensors and 3 door sensors with the wireless unit...... £750 ish.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Yale wireless Smart-home which has been in two years and been faultless.

iOS app is great also.

Pitch

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Yale wireless Smart-home which has been in two years and been faultless.

iOS app is great also.

Pitch
    I was tempted by this but I use android and heard that the app is terrible!

Craftsman
    I have the Yale system and it’s been faultless, I’m sure it’s not as advanced as some but my belief is they will get in what ever system you have, but it’s a deterrent and it’s a doddle to fit

I have added to mine over the time I have had it and the app it excellent

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironmonk3y View Post
    I was tempted by this but I use android and heard that the app is terrible!
    I have the Yale smart alarm and Android app, works fine for me.
    It won't win any design awards for sure but it's reliable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

How much is the Yale system and is it easy to install? There seem to be a few variants, which is the right one to get?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    How much is the Yale system and is it easy to install? There seem to be a few variants, which is the right one to get?
    From my research, they range from £100 upwards. The most basic gives you one wireless motion sensor, a keypad, external siren and one door or window sensor. The more expensive ones give you more motion sensors, key fob for activating alarm, fobs for deactivating (rather than using keypad)and pet friendly sensors (if you find that useful). That will set you back around £300. The smart one with the app is £200. You can always buy more accessories at a later date but they can be pricey.

I'm still deciding which one to get.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by domwells View Post
    I have the Yale smart alarm and Android app, works fine for me.
    It won't win any design awards for sure but it's reliable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    That's good to know, thanks!

Craftsman
    Pyronix Enforcer is great- self installed with app. PM me of you need more info cost around 450 from memory

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmonk3y View Post
    From my research, they range from £100 upwards. The most basic gives you one wireless motion sensor, a keypad, external siren and one door or window sensor. The more expensive ones give you more motion sensors, key fob for activating alarm, fobs for deactivating (rather than using keypad)and pet friendly sensors (if you find that useful). That will set you back around £300. The smart one with the app is £200. You can always buy more accessories at a later date but they can be pricey.

I'm still deciding which one to get.
    Thanks. The fobs always seem like a terrible idea, like writing your pin on the back of your credit card assuming you keep the fob with your house keys.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name

Burglar alarms

Don’t know if this help if you wants a Yale system

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/yal...-alarm-3257587
    Last edited by bomberman; 5th July 2019 at 06:16.

Thanks. The fobs always seem like a terrible idea, like writing your pin on the back of your credit card assuming you keep the fob with your house keys.
    I have a Honeywell system with fobs. In their defence it means I can give to people to let themselves in without providing the code and if I wish I can disable an individual fob (provided I maintain a list of who has which fob) . As well as being handy for friends is also useful for neighbours (keyholders as is monitored) as they don't need to know a code.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I have a Honeywell system with fobs. In their defence it means I can give to people to let themselves in without providing the code and if I wish I can disable an individual fob (provided I maintain a list of who has which fob) . As well as being handy for friends is also useful for neighbours (keyholders as is monitored) as they don't need to know a code.
    Yup I get it, it's definitely more convenient but just not more secure!

I found five strange as well and purposely disable that bit in my alarm. Most people do have the fob with their home keys so if you lost them and assuming that the person finding them knows where you live then it’s an open invite, sort off.

My alarm installer pointed out that you could configure the fobs so that you still needed to enter a PIN, what’s the point of the fob in that case?

I worked with a guy who’s daughter used to go out with an ADT installer.
    My colleague managed to get about a dozen dummy boxes off him.
    Screw one over your own alarm box or just put it on the wall and give the appearance
    Of having a monitored alarm.
    As has been said, an alarm is only a deterrent but an apparently monitored system is better deterrent than not.

Take a look at the price of dummy ADT boxes on eBay.