closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A13a central minute chrono, auto version , review on W&W

Craftsman

A13a central minute chrono, auto version , review on W&W

I know there are a few of us on here with the quartz version, here’s the up coming auto version. it looks fantastic!
    No price yet, watch not yet finalised.

https://wornandwound.com/first-look-...ack-functions/

I have the quartz version and would be up for one of those, I reckon
    Thanks for the link

The Damasko DC80 with the 7750 central minute totalizer is 13.9mm thick...

The DD module version is 16.3mm. I think it is way too thick!

the 16.3mm thick is a shame but i'll still be keen to see pricing. good on him for going again too.

Craftsman
    The Sinn ezm1 and new 1.1 are 16.5mm so no I don’t think it’s too thick.

I find it interesting that Sinn and Damasko spent a long time building new in house movements when they clearly could have gone the route Paolo has.
    Last edited by David@; 29th June 2019 at 09:50.

Quote Originally Posted by David@ View Post
    yea, i was thinking about my old EZM1 and it didn't seem that thick, it was Ti and 40mm so that may have something to do with it.
    interested to see where the $ ends up as i was going to have my Quartz changed to a lefty but i may just hold out for the auto and have both options :)

Paolo has been consulting with some original A-13A owners (myslef included) for a long time now on the development of this watch. He has put an immense amount of effort into it, and is to be applauded for his tenacity and attention to detail.
    He has incorporated a lot of the feedback that the quartz version owners have offered (clear examples being massively improved lume, lug holes, and hand counterpoise reduction).
    I like the new stepped pushers, and the lefty design.
    And I have total sympathy with him that the only movement option open to him is the DD module option, because it does affect the case design and height.

As a keen Lemania 5100 fan who still owns several examples, and as an A-13A owner already, I may not be buying Paolo's new model, but I wish him every success with it, he totally deserves to succeed.
    I will follow this with interest, and be fascinated to see where the price ends up.
    The current Damasko (DC80 central minute) offering with their movement has really blown Sinn's pricing out of the water. Jura's cheapest SZ01-powered watch is £4068. Damasko's with their version of the movement is €2680.

I am also very keen for him to develop an A13-A2=3 keeping the quartz movement, as I feel there are improvements to be made there. I am sure that will come with time.

Dave

Master
    Really like it and in particular, the left handed design. Good luck to him on getting it to market.

Very interesting, the only thing stopping me buying one so far has been my fairly irrational abhorrence for quartz tickers.
    This could be the watch that brings me back, I have been falling out of love with the whole thing and thinking of liquidating much of my collection.

Craftsman
    Lefty is the way to go , mine is ...

Quote Originally Posted by deerworrier View Post
    yea, i was thinking about my old EZM1 and it didn't seem that thick, it was Ti and 40mm so that may have something to do with it.
    interested to see where the $ ends up as i was going to have my Quartz changed to a lefty but i may just hold out for the auto and have both options :)

Craftsman
    Fab I was looking at this a few days back after a recommendation from the forum but like some did not fancy the quartz content which is a shame as it looks a refreshing pilot design and love the story behind it.

Would be very interested in this development and with flyback to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Crazytrain View Post
    Very interesting, the only thing stopping me buying one so far has been my fairly irrational abhorrence for quartz tickers.
    This could be the watch that brings me back, I have been falling out of love with the whole thing and thinking of liquidating much of my collection.
    I too have sold a good many lately....
    I think you’d really like the quartz A13-a
    It’s one I’m pretty certain to keep as its value to me is way higher than the asking price
    Quality is great too! And looks great on a black and yellow Hirsch ayrton

Master
    I’ve been tempted by a quartz version several times, but have yet to take the plunge. This one could convince me to buy, but I fear the price will be too high for me. Personally, the automatic, but with right handed crown and pushers, would be best combination.

Quote Originally Posted by David@ View Post

I find it interesting that Sinn and Damasko spent a long time building new in house movements when they clearly could have gone the route Paolo has.
    The Sinn and Damasko are worked 7750s and not new movements. The DD modules have long term issues... but some people like them.

You will always be better off with integrated chronos than with modular ones, as there is a lot less to go wrong.
    Last edited by abraxas; 30th June 2019 at 09:29.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    The Sinn and Damasko are worked 7750s and not new movements. The DD modules have long term issues... but some people like them.

You will always be better off with with integrated chronos than with modular ones, as there is a lot less to go wrong.

Yes, but these have the issue that they're ETA movements, which whilst brilliant in quality and manufacture are likely to suffer from ETA restrictions at some stage. Setilla make the SW500, which is an equal quality direct replacement for the ETA 7750, but at the moment they only make the base architecture version.

I think the A13A is as perfect as the pilots watch genre can be and I fully understand the problems with a mechanical movement moving all its functions onto onto the main sweep hand (and having both day and date displays) as I've been working it for a while now. Fully integrated solutions exist that can bring the overall height down, but boy are they expensive to commission.

With the success of the quartz... the next step should have been a PVD version with a sapphire crystal.

The next step I had hoped for was a rotating bezel (probably internal), but as seen above, there are those that were never in the market for the original because it was quartz, so Paolo's move makes sense.

Dave

Craftsman
    Indeed but Paolo is not really in this to make a watch brand , he wanted the watch for himself , including the auto.
    That’s what makes this really great, he’s not trying to please a market. So I wouldn’t hold your breath for a pvd version or bezel etc.

Master
    Great to have a mechanical version of the 13......but I can't do 'lefties', it's a killer for me. Great watch nontheless.

Craftsman
    Lovely looking watch, but it's just a bit too fat!