closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ming Abyss Concept Watch

Ming Abyss Concept Watch

New watch from Ming, the 18.01 - a diver's watch albeit a rather niche (and expensive) watch. From what I can tell, this was an experimental design that wouldn't be making it into production and so offered as a 10 series 'concept' series. A steel watch rated to 1250m, proportions are rather reasonable at 40mm and 14mm thickness. All 10 sold out in a quarter of an hour, so despite the relatively high price of 6500CHF, definitely found a group of watch lovers who get the whole over engineering. The star of the show has to be the bezel, and I hope that does make it to any further dive watch that Ming make. Some pics and check out that lume!!!!

https://ming.watch/collections/homep...-abyss-concept

Master
    Like a Spartan steinhart ocean 2.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    And that went quick.. all sold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    A diver's watch where you have to take a guess at the actual time?

I think it's a nice conceptual take on a divers watch, I was looking at them earlier this morning on instagram.

The only thing i don't like (applies to all Ming's) is the signature lug design, tapered to the strap rather than flared would look alot cleaner in my mind.
    Flip side of that without that lug design, the case would loose something, and become too pebble like.

The lume looks like fun though.

My only thought - thank God it is not in black. Otherwise, I would be sad to have missed it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
    Good point

Each to his own and all that, but although undoubtedly well engineered, it looks like a slightly naff unfinished watch to my eye.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Bezel looks a bit clunky to me, and on a 40mm watch I guess the dial will seem pretty small because of it

Like the concept and look, but I think 42mm would be much better size for that bracelet, now, those lugs, I just don’t know really but they are different and do compliment the case shape.
    Really like the dark dial and stark contrast of the lume, colour is good but maybe black would look absolutely killer.

I like all the Ming designs but it would irritate me not knowing where the minute indices are. Bad enough when even a few are obscured by text but he never has any!

Quote Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
    A fair point - I think this is maybe one reason why this has worked as a concept and not as a serial watch. However you do have so on the bezel (well for 15 mins anyway), possibly enough for a dive scenario, I dunno. Owning 2 of Ming's watches, its not such an issue for daily use

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    I think it's a nice conceptual take on a divers watch, I was looking at them earlier this morning on instagram.

The only thing i don't like (applies to all Ming's) is the signature lug design, tapered to the strap rather than flared would look alot cleaner in my mind.
    Flip side of that without that lug design, the case would loose something, and become too pebble like.

The lume looks like fun though.
    I can see what you mean with going inwards - the flared lugs gives some um 'flare' to the watch. Personally love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Like the concept and look, but I think 42mm would be much better size for that bracelet, now, those lugs, I just don’t know really but they are different and do compliment the case shape.
    Really like the dark dial and stark contrast of the lume, colour is good but maybe black would look absolutely killer.
    Personally agree, potentially 42mm is a better size with that bezel. I'll reaffirm, that bezel looks the bees knees, I absolutely love it and hope there is a serial diver at some point (and cheaper too...) with the same being used. Black is also a good shout too - the absolute stark contrast would be amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I like all the Ming designs but it would irritate me not knowing where the minute indices are. Bad enough when even a few are obscured by text but he never has any!
    You get used to it - but if you have a bit of an OCD, you never will. Ming's designs are not for everyone, not by a long shot but if you 'get' it there is some great joy to behold in the watches!

I like the bezel and hands but the rest leaves me cold. I do admire the design theme that runs through all his watches even if it's not for me.

Craftsman
    I think the design is just too bland

It would probably be more accurate to describe it as a 'desk' divers watch, like so many built to withstand incredible depths and unlikely to ever go near a bowl of soapy water.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Minger not for me

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    It would probably be more accurate to describe it as a 'desk' divers watch, like so many built to withstand incredible depths and unlikely to ever go near a bowl of soapy water.
    lets hope that at least one makes it into the ocean - I’d like to know how it performs relative to others. Though I agree unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolthai32 View Post
    Minger not for me
    I accept some of British culture infers the use of ‘minger’ but please remember it is a common enough name in Asia and can cause offence.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    lets hope that at least one makes it into the ocean - I’d like to know how it performs relative to others. Though I agree unlikely.

I accept some of British culture infers the use of ‘minger’ but please remember it is a common enough name in Asia and can cause offence.

Cmon, don't be silly...

I like it. It has a particular aesthetic. More artistic than industrial.

Looks like it'll wear very small with that tiny dial (which may be a good thing). Not a fan of the busy bracelet, but perhaps it'll work with the rather reduced clutter face.