closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car - removing paint transfer

Craftsman

Car - removing paint transfer

Some annoying so and so has scraped past my parked car. Looks like they were driving a white vehicle as I now have some white paint that's transferred onto my car. Fortunately, it is quite a small area - say 7cm x 3cm and it doesn't look my car's paint is damaged - I can see the white paint sticking on top of my original paint.

I've seen some videos on youtube of people using WD40 to remove this kind of thing. Also been recommended T-cut, an Autoglym scratch removal kit and a 3M rubbing compound - all of which I'm pretty wary of... Any suggestions from the TZ collective?

Thanks!

Master
    Any car polish with some cut in it (i.e. not just wax), failing that t-cut or similar.

Autoglym scratch remover.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Polishing compound or scratch remover should be fine. Rubbing compound is typically a bit more abrasive and you want to use the least abrasive compound that removes the marks. Try to use a broad stroke (palm) and light pressure rather than rubbing harder on a smaller area (fingertips) as the latter is more likely to leave you with marks that then require further polishing.

WD40 might be worth a go though if you're going to have to buy other things anyway. Car paint is pretty tough and sees exposure to much worse than a spot of WD40.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What type of paint is your car - solid or does it have a clear top coat? How old and what make is your car?

Craftsman
    Before getting the big guns out try Autoglym Super Resin polish. It's amazing what that can do on its own and will be kinder if you can get away with it.

I wouldn't use T Cut, it's harsh & you may take off more than you want.

WD40 might be worth a go.

Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post

WD40 might be worth a go.
    This, add a little brasso if it doesn't start to shift it.

Master
    merquiars D300 and a DA or by hand, then a finishing wax, apply vigorously and sparingly then leave to dry and buff off and regularly select a clean side on your towel.

Better to take a small amount with many passes than go berserk and cause a problem.

Journeyman
    I've used farecla G3 pro scratch remover, which works really well. Can get it from Halfords if you're in a rush! After using, apply some wax to protect the paintwork.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    This, add a little brasso if it doesn't start to shift it.
    If I could suggest SILVO it is just that little less harsh than Brasso - I use it a lot on the car park stripes on my wifes car.

B

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    merquiars D300 and a DA or by hand, then a finishing wax, apply vigorously and sparingly then leave to dry and buff off and regularly select a clean side on your towel.

Better to take a small amount with many passes than go berserk and cause a problem.
    That's also my choice of tools for the OP's situation, as well as for general improvement of paintwork.

I give my cars an annual compound & polish with a Merguiar's and it pays handsome dividends.

Extreme example (aided with a bit of wet & dry):

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.