closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Small to medium SUV, Merc GLA or GLC anyone got one or something better?

Journeyman

Small to medium SUV, Merc GLA or GLC anyone got one or something better?

I know I’ve already gone on about Salary Sacrifice leasing in earlier posts but it’s about to become even more of a no brainer...

Changes to the BiK rules mean that come April I’ll be driving a Tesla Model X for just under a grand a month inclusive of insurance, servicing, glass cover, tyre cover etc. etc. 12k Miles a year no deposit:

And when you consider that this is £1k a month pre tax so I’ll be saving 42% on it, it’s an absolute steal.

I work in this field sort of and any employer, even self employed providing you pay yourself through PAYE can take advantage of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ellgal; 3rd October 2019 at 08:34.

Regarding tax benefits, I'm self employed and for anything over 130g/km C02, 30% is immediately disallowed as a tax deduction. When I was considering my next lease the GLC 220d (and 250d) was under 130 but for whatever reason it is now quite a bit over 130. This is annoying as I can only claim a maximum of 70% of the costs of the vehicle against tax. Have manufacturers been forced to re test co2 emissions after the vw scandal?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    You have experience in both cars, they don't. I'd just ignore it. Pointless. It's like arguing over how many mm a watch is. Yes something might be 42mm but it's entirely normal and possible that the same watch could wear more like a 39mm or 40mm. You can't just go on the car website and bark out specs, it's silly.

As mentioned I also have a glc and sure with seats down the boot is great but as a normal boot it's pathetic considering the size of the car.
    er i have experience of both as well, discerned no real difference and lo and behold when i checked it there isnt any, if you lose a little one way obviously you can it another, it makes up the same cubic volume. The size is the size, its not an abstract thing.

What size boot would you expect considering its the same as every other car in its class basically or bigger than some.

i dont even know why im replying, i couldnt care less, but we have gone from saying the x3's boot is miles bigger to it feels a bit bigger.

Craftsman

medium SUV

I have a Subaru Forester XT. Bought new 3.5 years ago.

They have now discontinued this turbo version.

Fast, comfortable and reliable.

It's a keeper for me.

I thought I'd update this thread as I have now had my GLC Coupe 300d AMG Premium Plus for a couple of weeks now.

As some may recall, I took this deal without having a chance to even sit in one after I was let down on the Jaguar iPace I had done all the paperwork for and been told was available, and then told with little time to sort an alternative, that they had run out...

Anyhow, I've taken this Merc on a two year lease with full servicing and maintenance included.

To be honest, my initial impressions on delivery were very mixed. It is considerably smaller than the Touareg it replaces (but then I did want something more economical and enviro-friendly as this is primarily a commuting car). I was concerned at the size of the boot, until I realised that it has a false floor that has a lot more storage hidden under it - and this actually works very well and prevents all the usual crap I have in my boot from rolling around. It also keeps the main boot space clear.

The seats are quite a lot firmer than I was expecting - much more like the sports seats in my Maserati.

The interior is nice, and very stylish, but initially felt a little cheaper in terms of materials than the VW.

I also felt the seating position was much lower than I expected (a lot more car like), until I realised the delivery driver had set the seat to the lowest setting - adjusting this up helped enormously and gave a much more SUV driving position.

Ok, so now two weeks on.

The car has grown on me as I have got used to it. There is literally tons of tech on board, and it is reasonably easy to use. The ambient lighting system is very cool and was a big hit with the kids. The digital dash works well, and is extremely sharp, as is the large multi-media screen.

The voice command system works fairly well, and the sound system is very good - clear and rich. The hands-free phone clarity is the best I have heard on anything. The best gadget is the augmented reality sat-nav - this is very clever indeed and really does work fantastically well. The reversing camera, hidden under the rear badge is crystal clear and stays 100% clean (always an irritation on my Touareg). I like the fact it also has all-round sensors (a lot don't), and the park assist works fairly well although I doubt I'll ever use this much.

So what is it like to drive?

This is perhaps the aspect that has impressed me the most. It is quite firm, in any driving mode, but I don't mind that. It is pretty quick - and the engine delivers really rapid 30-50 and 30-70 acceleration. It is a very response car, and actually extremely chuckable - the handling is sharp and accurate. It doesn't feel like mid to large SUV to me, in fact it feels more like a large hot hatchback.

Economy seems to be averaging about mid 30's - which is ok, and a lot better than the 23mpg I was getting from the Touareg.

The headlights are very impressive, and it does feel very safe and planted in heavy rain and when you hit large puddles and standing water.

It does look smart, and I think the best view of it is from the rear.

Overall, it is clearly a good car. Does it excite me like the iPace would have - probably not. But then when I go to change this in just under two years, there will be more fully electric options on the market I'll look at.

I would recommend one of these, but do go and try one first (unlike me) and check it feels right for you.

Hope that helps anyone considering one!
    So clever my foot fell off.

Blog Entries
    It seems as though there are some good prices around for the GLC at the moment, with discounts of up to £8k or more from list prices. I was intending to wait until the 20 plate in March, but some of them are very tempting. Is there any advantage to waiting and having a 20 plate instead of a 69 plate?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    It seems as though there are some good prices around for the GLC at the moment, with discounts of up to £8k or more from list prices. I was intending to wait until the 20 plate in March, but some of them are very tempting. Is there any advantage to waiting and having a 20 plate instead of a 69 plate?
    About £500 of residual value.

I would also add, after having had it about a month now, the multibeam headlight system is very clever and excellent - quite remarkable tech really that I've not had to this extent on a car before.

Performance-wise the car is genuinely quick - there is never any shortage of power from any speed to any speed. Handling-wise I do like it - very chuckable and agile, but the ride is pretty firm, even on the comfort settings. I don't mind this, but it is definitely more "sporty" in feel than the Touareg it replaces. I can't sense a great deal of difference between the different dynamic settings to be honest - Sport+ does noticeably sharpen up the ratios and damping, but what the difference is between just Sport and Sport + I have no idea.

The SAT Nav and voice control works very well - the augmented reality really is superb. I first had voice control back in about 2002 on a Jaguar S-Type R, and it didn't work very well. Every car I've had since that was similarly equipped I've never used it as it has been ropey - this is the first time I've found it genuinely useful and worth using.

Stereo is excellent, and MBUX system generally very good, but I don't use the track pad on the centre console, I find using the mini pad on the steering wheel much easier.

Small to medium SUV, Merc GLA or GLC anyone got one or something better?

I believe Sport + is = Sport with no electronic driving assistance (ESP, Traction control...)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I believe Sport + is = Sport with no electronic driving assistance (ESP, Traction control...)

A google has found this:

https://www.inchcape.co.uk/blog/tips...des-explained/

Ok, sorry. I believe this is what Sport + is on my BMW so I (hastily) generalised.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    I looked around as I wanted to replace a Yeti

Have a look at the current X1 - (the recent Sept update is only minor cosmetic)

The X1 is now almost as big inside as the current X3

I picked up an ex BMW staff car from a BMW dealer for 30%+ below list - Xdrive 2 litre 150bhp Diesel, M Sport, 8 speed Auto with sports mode, plus leather and a few other bits and pieces - 11 months old, under 4,000 miles and just as new - paid £23,500

MPG is really good and 150bhp is enough with the 8 Speed Auto box

I'm very impressed with the car for what it is, (and more to the point my wife really likes it) - lots of room, decent performance and economy, it is a well built, quality car.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Ok, sorry. I believe this is what Sport + is on my BMW so I (hastily) generalised.
    Don't apologise - it spurred me to stop being lazy and take some positive action to find out!

Blog Entries
    Well, having tried to order a GLC for March, it seems it probably isn't going to happen. Apparently they aren't scheduled to build any in the colour and spec I want! Apparently I can order one in the colour and spec I want, but mid January I might find out that it will only be available in a different colour. Also the dealers seem a bit put out that I don't want to take out a finance deal or PCP!

Hey ho, Jaguar F-Pace it might be then!

Take the deposit contribution from getting a PCP then cancel the finance after delivery.

Blog Entries
    Take the deposit contribution from getting a PCP then cancel the finance after delivery.
    Perhaps but they still can’t say they can get the car I want for March!

Blog Entries
    Well, it was good advice in the end.

Having given up on getting the Mercedes I wanted for March, ordered an F Pace today with the 240hp diesel. Dealer contribution of £1500 by taking finance for £10000 of the price. Can pay off the balance after a couple of payments and job done. Was almost tempted by a deal on an I Pace, which had only a couple of hundred miles as the customer just couldn't get on with the car. But still not convinced all electric is the way to go yet. Maybe in a couple of years time.

Journeyman
    Lovely car the f pace I had a disco sport and always listed after one but the deals weren’t right when I got the X3