closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small to medium SUV, Merc GLA or GLC anyone got one or something better?

Blog Entries

Small to medium SUV, Merc GLA or GLC anyone got one or something better?

Looking to get something new in the new year. Anyone have any tales to tell? Any makes you have and like and why? Or another one drives a Duster perhaps
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Volvo xc40?

Looks great and is very highly rated.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Volvo xc40?

Was just going to say that.

I've had one for 16 months, great car

I take delivery of a GLC 220d Urban Edition on Friday so I'll let you know. It's going to have to go some to beat my current 2018 X3 though.

I had an Audi Q2 for a week in Munich not long ago
    Quite nice, 150bhp petrol with an excellent satnav system.
    Comfy and smooth , did 45 mpg
    When I got home I read a few write-ups that generally praised it

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    I had a GLC Coupe from new, kept it 2 years and just got rid. It was the 220d AMG version with the Premium Plus pack on it.

Very comfy, quiet, good on fuel (45 mpg average) and lots of space and nice toys. It did spend 3 months off the road though. As a new model it had teething problems, but mine had an ecu fault and Merc UK couldnt fix it. They had to send all the ecu data to Germany where a new software update was developed. I did of course get a loan car for this period. Also on these GLC models, there is a strange issue with the front wheels ‘crabbing’ when turning slowly on full lock. Google it, its a known and very common fault. Mercedes wont concede its incorrect steering geometry, but along with many others they changed all 4 tyres for free after 12 months. Go figure. Would I have another, probably not.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I have had a Peugeot 3008 1.6 petrol auto on lease for the past 11 months, nothing negative yet. Its pretty spacious and modern inside, the basic Prelude level has plenty of extras.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I take delivery of a GLC 220d Urban Edition on Friday so I'll let you know. It's going to have to go some to beat my current 2018 X3 though.
    We got exactly that in November last year and have so far done over 10,000 trouble free miles. We also tried the GLA but it felt cheap and plasticky in comparison and my 5ft tall wife looked cramped in it.

It’s definitely worth looking at the Q3/Q5 and both the Volvos too (XC40/60).

If the budget will allow, I’d be looking at the new electrics from Audi and Mercedes too (Q5e-tron? And GQC which is supposedly available later this year).

We haven't bought a new car for ages, our most recent is a 2012 X3 sport 2.0d which together with the 2001 V70 we have owned since new both have done the run from Yorkshire to Barcelona coping easily with family and luggage, and returning 40 ish mpg.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I am really pleased with the Volvo XC60 we bought a few months ago.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've been driving a few Q5's recently and have been really impressed with them.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    We got exactly that in November last year and have so far done over 10,000 trouble free miles. We also tried the GLA but it felt cheap and plasticky in comparison and my 5ft tall wife looked cramped in it.

If the budget will allow, I’d be looking at the new electrics from Audi and Mercedes too (Q5e-tron? And GQC which is supposedly available later this year).
    EQC is available to order now and starts around £66k. I was in Dresden a couple of weeks back to see/drive it.

It shares a lot of architecture with GLC.

Blog Entries
    Chris Harris car buying advice ...

https://youtu.be/728MLtVImvo

scroll to 1:15

z

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Volvo xc40?

Drove one before I bought the Jag but it seemed awfully sloppy on takeoff. Will probably have another test drive though just to be sure.

That will be interesting to hear how you compare.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I had an Audi Q2 for a week in Munich not long ago
    Quite nice, 150bhp petrol with an excellent satnav system.
    Comfy and smooth , did 45 mpg
    When I got home I read a few write-ups that generally praised it
    Was thinking of the Q2 as a possibility but when you try to configure one you get this message-
    Q2 is now subject to availability. Please speak to your local Audi Centre for pricing and stock availability matching your requirements. Please use the button below to see the latest finance offers.

The Rolex of the car world?

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    I had a GLC Coupe from new, kept it 2 years and just got rid. It was the 220d AMG version with the Premium Plus pack on it.

Very comfy, quiet, good on fuel (45 mpg average) and lots of space and nice toys. It did spend 3 months off the road though. As a new model it had teething problems, but mine had an ecu fault and Merc UK couldnt fix it. They had to send all the ecu data to Germany where a new software update was developed. I did of course get a loan car for this period. Also on these GLC models, there is a strange issue with the front wheels ‘crabbing’ when turning slowly on full lock. Google it, its a known and very common fault. Mercedes wont concede its incorrect steering geometry, but along with many others they changed all 4 tyres for free after 12 months. Go figure. Would I have another, probably not.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Interesting, have to see if things have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzyblackbeard View Post
    I have had a Peugeot 3008 1.6 petrol auto on lease for the past 11 months, nothing negative yet. Its pretty spacious and modern inside, the basic Prelude level has plenty of extras.
    I've seen a few in car parks and must admit like the look of them. Might have to have a nose in one!

The GLA was one I liked the idea of but will have to see it in real life I think to appreciate the size.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    We haven't bought a new car for ages, our most recent is a 2012 X3 sport 2.0d which together with the 2001 V70 we have owned since new both have done the run from Yorkshire to Barcelona coping easily with family and luggage, and returning 40 ish mpg.
    X3 is capable, but a bit predictable perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoon7 View Post
    I am really pleased with the Volvo XC60 we bought a few months ago.
    Will have to look at the 60 as well as the xc40 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I've been driving a few Q5's recently and have been really impressed with them.
    Q5 might be just a bit bigger than we need, but will take a look when at Audi.

Thanks for all the insightful replies guys, it's good to get someone else perspective sometimes.

Master
    3 months into Macan s ownership and am impressed every day by the capabilities of the vehicle. It feels hewn from a solid block of oyster steel, electronics are faultless and swirchgear feels positive. A huge step up from the JLR/Audi/Volvo herd.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Skoda Karoq gets good reviews. It’s an Audi/VW underneath. Just picked up one on a cheap 2 year lease - seems very good so far.

Pete

Not me , but my best mate bought a GLC . I know it was one of the higher end models but I can’t confirm which one because it’s been at Mercedes more than at his house. He has had no end of problems with it.
    Windows and sunroof opening whilst parked up , alarm going off overnight for no reason but it got too much when the tailgate opened whilst driving back from Lyme Park on the A6 with his granddaughter in the back .
    He had a Mercedes technician out numerous times who admitted he was baffled and it was “ quite common”
    I haven’t spoken to him for a week or two but I darent mention the car . He’s threatened to drive it through the showroom window. 😂
    To cap it all, Mercedes have been less than helpful to put it mildly. Last I heard it was in the hands of his solicitor.
    Certainly put me off them anyway .

GLC220d AMG Premium here, first service this week at 4,600 miles. Zero issues and couldn’t be happier, fab thing.

Came via DriveTheDeal for £33.5k who were £2k cheaper than anywhere else and represents around £10k off RRP. Utter bargain IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    We haven't bought a new car for ages, our most recent is a 2012 X3 sport 2.0d
    Ditto. Just paid my balloon, because it's on 55k miles and there nothing wrong with a 2012 car.

Cream leather and panoramic sunroof. Drives beautifully. 40mpg. Gets us out of the snow (Scorpion Verde all season tyres) space for everything. Costs little to service (non BMW) Lots of cheap parts out there. Quiet. Reliable. Safe.

My last BMW made it to 123,000 miles.......

Master
    My mate got a gla and it’s a nice car but feels quite small. I test drove the glc and new x3 and personally much preferred the x3, which is what I went for. I went for the 3.0l which is quick but the 2.0l is a good speed too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Took delivery of our GLC 250 Petrol two months ago, it’s really comfortable well built, zero issues to date. It’s really quick for an SUV 220bhp ride is superb on the motorway. Drive it hard and it’s thirsty. Overall much better then the Evoque

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    GLC220d AMG Premium here, first service this week at 4,600 miles. Zero issues and couldn’t be happier, fab thing.

Came via DriveTheDeal for £33.5k who were £2k cheaper than anywhere else and represents around £10k off RRP. Utter bargain IMO.
    Agree same model from August 2018 9700 on the clock and no issues does what it says on the tin.

I have the BMW X1 X20d Sport on a great lease deal, it’s a great car, well sized and nice and nippy when it needs to be, like it that much I may buy it from the lease company when the deal finishes...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The new Toyota RAV4 self charging hybrid seems to be getting rave reviews. No personal experience but just offering an alternative idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    GLC 250d premium AMG here. 20 months in and 25k miles. No issues going strong.

Note on crabbing. I knew it was there but didn't bother me. We have the 20 inch wheels and I believe it is more noticeable on those.

When it went in for service I raised it and told them I heard there was a fix. They implemented the fix FOC which now is not new tyres but a change to a couple of the suspension components. Cannot remember exactly what but it has definitely done the trick. So if you get one new I am sure it will have the modified parts already. If it is used you can have it done FOC.

Good luck with whatever you go for.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Re. crabbing, I do a slow full-lock turn onto tar coming out my garage and get just a minor skip which virtually any car does in those conditions; nothing at all like the evidence videos so they must’ve implemented a fix.

Craftsman
    I quite like the look at the GLC too. Can’t decide between that or maybe the XC40, X3, E-Pace or RR evoque. Would love an X3 M40i although that doesn’t answer your question!

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Re. crabbing, I do a slow full-lock turn onto tar coming out my garage and get just a minor skip which virtually any car does in those conditions; nothing at all like the evidence videos so they must’ve implemented a fix.
    I'm pretty sure my X3 does this too!

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    I have the BMW X1 X20d Sport on a great lease deal, it’s a great car, well sized and nice and nippy when it needs to be, like it that much I may buy it from the lease company when the deal finishes...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I had an X1 18d Sport auto in black for 4 months. It looked amazing. I much prefer the Sport wheels and body over the M Sport models. The X1 is the only model in the BMW line up that looks worse in M Sport trim imo. Anyway, the X1 is a fabulous car. Well built and spec'd and great to drive. The 150 hp 18d could do with a little more ooomph so I'd go 20d next time. OP should definitely shortlist the X1 20d in Sport trim.

Journeyman
    As mentioned on the recent Range Rover thread, I was recently in the market for a mid size SUV. Ended up getting my wife a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV because I’m bang on a tax threshold so via salsac the ULEV meant I was saving a fortune even if it is a massively overpriced (close to 50 bags at list), dull family wagon.

Did a fair bit of research. What I found out though was that the residuals for the Velar and Macan are expected to be so great that lease costs are lower than you’d think, especially if you don’t do many miles.

If you’re able to go salsac and can do electric, I reckon the I-pace is a no brainer.

If you’re buying, whether new or used, the X3 would be my choice as a great all rounder. Or as has been said earlier, for a smaller option the XC40 is a brilliant little machine.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Not me , but my best mate bought a GLC . I know it was one of the higher end models but I can’t confirm which one because it’s been at Mercedes more than at his house. He has had no end of problems with it.
    Windows and sunroof opening whilst parked up , alarm going off overnight for no reason but it got too much when the tailgate opened whilst driving back from Lyme Park on the A6 with his granddaughter in the back .
    He had a Mercedes technician out numerous times who admitted he was baffled and it was “ quite common”
    I haven’t spoken to him for a week or two but I darent mention the car . He’s threatened to drive it through the showroom window. 
    To cap it all, Mercedes have been less than helpful to put it mildly. Last I heard it was in the hands of his solicitor.
    Interesting story, and I’ve never heard of that in 3 and a half years working for Mercedes-Benz!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    I quite like the look at the GLC too. Can’t decide between that or maybe the XC40, X3, E-Pace or RR evoque. Would love an X3 M40i although that doesn’t answer your question!
    Have the E-Pace at present, and had the Evoque before that. We were thinking of staying with JLR but a to of their cost options are standard on other makes so looking around. The Merc looks like a good option tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    3 months into Macan s ownership and am impressed every day by the capabilities of the vehicle. It feels hewn from a solid block of oyster steel, electronics are faultless and swirchgear feels positive. A huge step up from the JLR/Audi/Volvo herd.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    I keep getting drawn to these though its the GTS that gets my interest, from what i've read it feels a completely different car to the S but I'm sure the S is more than capable for a everyday car. My inner boyracer just likes the sound of the GTS but I guess in the real world the GTS is a bit over kill though it does get air ride suspension though I think where the S doesn't. Anyway they're out my price range at the moment so its all pipe dreams.

When’s the GLB available Rick?

Being closer in size to the E Pace, it may also be a suitable option.

Master
    Lexus UX, NX and RX are very capable SUV's - even have some off road capability if you don't expect too much.
    Lease prices are always stratospheric so they make far better used buys where their reliability makes them a bit of a no brainer unless you do mega miles (buy a diesel) or want mega power (buy an m, amg or s/rs)

Porsche Macan. I really like mine. Zero issues in 9 months, serene driving, a carpet of air.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Interesting story, and I’ve never heard of that in 3 and a half years working for Mercedes-Benz!
    Hi mate
    Happy to pass on details if you’re interested.
    I’m sure he’d appreciate all the help he can get

GLC makes me think of Ken Livingstone and the Greater London Council, so for that reason, I'm out.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    I haven’t spoken to him for a week or two but I darent mention the car . He’s threatened to drive it through the showroom window. 
    That must have been a Friday night car, built by a guy on his own in the Factory late at night.

Journeyman
    Been looking at the Alfa Stelvio four leaf, pretty good deals about... any experience out there?

I picked up my brand new GLC 220d Urban Edition today. I've done about 100 miles in it and my initial thoughts are...... that my BMW X3 was a truly fantastic car!

Very quick first impressions comparing it to my outgoing 2018 X3 2.0i auto M Sport. On every level, the BMW feels better built. The switch gears and fascia are noticeably flimsier in the GLC and the doors don't shut as well in the Merc. This isn't to say that the Merc isn't well built, it is, but not quite as well built as the BMW which is on another level.

The interior of the BMW is a much nicer place to be. The Merc seems a little bland inside but to be fair, there is quite a difference in OTR price between the two (about £5k I think) so it may not be an entirely fair comparison. The BMW had ambient lighting and a 10.5 inch touch screen and part digital dashboard. No such toys in the Merc. The BMW has all round parking sensors but amazingly the Merc has none so I'll need to be careful negotiating the school car parks (though like the BMW it does have a reversing camera). The iDrive system and SatNav in the BMW is first class and a brilliantly intuitive masterclass in design. The Merc by comparison has a lowly Garmin satnav on a much smaller screen and the whole entertainment system feels a faff to use. Admittedly I've been used to BMW for the last three cars so I need to give it some time to get used to the Merc interior and ents system.

Where the vehicles are on a par is in ride quality (not bad) and also the auto box. Both autos feel silky smooth so far. The Merc looks breathtaking to my eyes. It's in obsidian black (very dark with a metallic sheen) with 20" wheels and high gloss black detailing (Night Pack) and it looks the business (if slightly mid tier drug dealer).

Where the Merc does beat the BMW is in the business of driving. The BMW always felt big and to some degree it felt like it drove you. The Merc feels more compact and direct - a 'part of you' if that makes sense.

The seats in the Merc are more comfortable and BIG props to Merc for their man made cruelty free leather. They are indistinguishable from the BMW seats that use real animal hide.

It's early days and I was initially put off by the dip in build quality and ergonomics of the interior compared to the class leading BMW but the Merc is growing on me even over the relatively short first journey. I can update my thoughts after a few weeks of driving if anyone is interested!

Blog Entries
    I picked up my brand new GLC 220d Urban Edition today. I've done about 100 miles in it and my initial thoughts are...... that my BMW X3 was a truly fantastic car!

Very quick first impressions comparing it to my outgoing 2018 X3 2.0i auto M Sport. On every level, the BMW feels better built. The switch gears and fascia are noticeably flimsier in the GLC and the doors don't shut as well in the Merc. This isn't to say that the Merc isn't well built, it is, but not quite as well built as the BMW which is on another level.

The interior of the BMW is a much nicer place to be. The Merc seems a little bland inside but to be fair, there is quite a difference in OTR price between the two (about £5k I think) so it may not be an entirely fair comparison. The BMW had ambient lighting and a 10.5 inch touch screen and part digital dashboard. No such toys in the Merc. The BMW has all round parking sensors but amazingly the Merc has none so I'll need to be careful negotiating the school car parks (though like the BMW it does have a reversing camera). The iDrive system and SatNav in the BMW is first class and a brilliantly intuitive masterclass in design. The Merc by comparison has a lowly Garmin satnav on a much smaller screen and the whole entertainment system feels a faff to use. Admittedly I've been used to BMW for the last three cars so I need to give it some time to get used to the Merc interior and ents system.

Where the vehicles are on a par is in ride quality (not bad) and also the auto box. Both autos feel silky smooth so far. The Merc looks breathtaking to my eyes. It's in obsidian black (very dark with a metallic sheen) with 20" wheels and high gloss black detailing (Night Pack) and it looks the business (if slightly mid tier drug dealer).

Where the Merc does beat the BMW is in the business of driving. The BMW always felt big and to some degree it felt like it drove you. The Merc feels more compact and direct - a 'part of you' if that makes sense.

The seats in the Merc are more comfortable and BIG props to Merc for their man made cruelty free leather. They are indistinguishable from the BMW seats that use real animal hide.

It's early days and I was initially put off by the dip in build quality and ergonomics of the interior compared to the class leading BMW but the Merc is growing on me even over the relatively short first journey. I can update my thoughts after a few weeks of driving if anyone is interested!
    Thanks, thats a great real world review. I would certainly be interested in your thoughts as your ownership progressed. Interesting that the Merc is improving in your eyes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeeboy View Post
    Been looking at the Alfa Stelvio four leaf, pretty good deals about... any experience out there?

Been looking at the Stelvio, pricy if you want to get the toys standard with other makes. A drivers car by all accounts though.

The Merc by comparison has a lowly Garmin satnav on a much smaller screen and the whole entertainment system feels a faff to use. Admittedly I've been used to BMW for the last three cars so I need to give it some time to get used to the Merc interior and ents system.
    Forget the satnav, just plug your phone in and use Waze.

The Merc satnav seems to like to take you the long way round!

Blog Entries

You should try the JLR satnav!
    Always wants to go down dirt tracks instead of main roads. 😂

The BMW seemed to do that too once or twice, as well as taking me down dirt tracks that were technically public highway but practically nearly impossible to squeeze through. My girlfriend keeps pimping Waze. I had a bad experience with Waze a few years back, around 2009 ish, but it sounds like it's much improved since then. Is it really better than Google Maps?

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    You should try the JLR satnav!
    Always wants to go down dirt tracks instead of main roads.
    Well that’s understandable!

Not quite as refined or premium maybe as the German brands, but I've got a Mazda CX5 and I love it. Went for one with all the extras so it's really comfortable, reliable and excellent to drive. I like the look too, quite sleek in comparison to some of the boxier rivals.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Curious as to what you think on this. Is the bad service down the the franchise group or the OEM? Bit of both?

FWIW I have a GLC and I quite like it. Infotainment sucks and the air vents don't seem to like any phone holder but generally speaking very nice car. Mine is a 16 plate so not the new MBUX system.

Would find it very hard to compare a GLA to the GLC. Very different cars let alone very different price.

Master

The GLC does not have parking sensors?? Are you sure?
    When we spec'd ours I did not tick a box for them and we do have them. I was fairly sure they are standard. Unless things have changed and you now have to tick a box. We did go for the 360 camera too. I would be astonished if your brand new GLC doesn't have them!!