closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jaeger le Coultre questions

Jaeger le Coultre questions

I've noticed that JLC watches tend to be trickier to sell on the secondary market and retain a lot less value than (IMHO) they should. Look at that Polaris on SC for example. By any measure that's the best finished sports watch currently on SC and JLC as a whole are a definite level above Rolex and probably aren't that far off Patek (PP cases tend to be a bit more complex) so I'd be interested to get people's take on why you would pay more on the secondary market for a Rolex or Omega that's actually of a lower quality than the JLC. It's a bit like having a higher second hand price for a 5 series BMW than a Bentley.

Master
    Low brand recognition among normal people.

Parts and service not easily accessible or cheap.

Comparatively tiny pool of potential buyers.

Herd-like nature of the market.

Your assertion as to quality might also be argued.

H

More demand for Rolex and Omega I suspect. Brand perceptions and awareness play a big part too. Your car analogy is useable and highly correct actually - who wants a Bentley with all of it's associated costs and foibles when a BM will likely be the much easier car to own - hence more demand and higher price.

Basically what HM said.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Look at that Polaris on SC for example.
    A watch that its owners admire greatly and offer for sale promptly

Master
    I agree with the OP re the slight oddity of this, given JLC's pedigree and rep as the watchmaker's watchmaker etc (same also true of Zenith perhaps). I think in general, as has been said, JLC doesn't have the brand awareness of those that retain their value, and perhaps in particular (ie among WIS) there is some boycotting due to Richemont service horror stories. That's certainly my position, and the 8-yr warranty must have been launched with the intention of addressing that.

Ryan- seriously?? SMH.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    A watch that its owners admire greatly and offer for sale promptly
    Hahaha, very astute

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

I'm a big JLC fan and have owned around 5 or 6 over the years from an Amvox 1 to a Compressor Geographic to Navy Seals version.

Really liked them all and certainly felt like it was something more special on the wrist than just another generic Sub or Seamaster........but I do agree with Haywoods views and so entry price point is key so as to not take a bath. But you could argue that with many brands that don't begin with RO and end in EX.

Perhaps like IWC in recent years I've not been quite sure what part of the market they are aiming at and some of designs have been curious.

Maybe that's why they've not stayed on the wrist that long as there was always something about each model that I felt I could improve on by purchasing something else?

Oddly I really like the new Polaris range and that one on SC has been tempting me for a few weeks........though I'd prefer a longer power reserve for a contempary watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The 1363540 is incredible piece. That’s the grey face, white gold ultra thin moon.

Would love one in my colection

Master
    Where’s the evidence that they are of ‘superior quality’? I don’t believe that. Neither do I see evidence that they are better built. As for servicing...slow and unhelpful, in my experience..
    ..I had one once, but I learnt my lesson.I feel they are trading on their historic reputation. Another Richemont triumph.
    Last edited by paskinner; 27th June 2019 at 12:01.

I've noticed that JLC watches tend to be trickier to sell on the secondary market and retain a lot less value than (IMHO) they should. Look at that Polaris on SC for example. By any measure that's the best finished sports watch currently on SC and JLC as a whole are a definite level above Rolex and probably aren't that far off Patek (PP cases tend to be a bit more complex) so I'd be interested to get people's take on why you would pay more on the secondary market for a Rolex or Omega that's actually of a lower quality than the JLC. It's a bit like having a higher second hand price for a 5 series BMW than a Bentley.
    I do like some JLC watches but I am curious in what way is it the best finished sports watch on SC?

Likewise, in what sense are they a level above Rolex and not far off Patek?

Craftsman
    Should it matter what someone else thinks about the watch brand you are wearing? I don’t know much about their quality but with their recent change to extending their warranty period surely that’s a good sign that they have confidence in their watches?

I love the ultra thin master range and it’s on my list of watches to purchase in another two years hopefully.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Id argue the quality element over Rolex tbh.
    It doesnt help that JLC can be bought new for a lot less than RRP.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I do like some JLC watches but I am curious in what way is it the best finished sports watch on SC?

Likewise, in what sense are they a level above Rolex and not far off Patek?
    No probs.

So some examples

- beveled edges on the lugs
    - level of brushed finish and contrast with polished edges is better
    - dial finish is at another level
    - 1000 hour testing of whole watch as opposed to just the movement
    - Heritage. Rolex is a british watchmaker that moved to Switzerland and makes some iconic watches but JLC is a manufacture that provided movements to Patek, VC, AP etc

Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder and Rolex make some amazing bracelets even if the dialwork is a tad agricultural compared to the likes of GS at that price point so I fully appreciate that there are areas in which Rolex may be better also (not least value retention!).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I think one of the reason's is that most people view watches based on the rolex price point & sports watches so have no idea about JLC historic or modern . Personally I've always viewed JLC as more of a dress watch manufacture when looking at their own timepieces, they do make some great base movements for other manufacturers.

Because of this at the higher end theystill have a lot of respect but at the lower priced range they don't stand out hence.

Take away the Richemont negativity & you'd find most peoples arguments against them would still be the same as they are not a sports watch brand, Rolex is.
    Last edited by optix; 27th June 2019 at 12:21.

I really like the brand for its heritage and for me a ‘thinking man’s watch’ in not following the herd.

The thread that is running at the moment about values spoiling the hobby might form an answer to the OP. It’s a watch of a significant but not stupid cost that isn’t the ‘go to’ brand. Trying to shift anything other than PO or Rolex is a challenge ..... but that only matters if you are a flipper

Suspect the average watch buyer doesn’t realise that JLC make any models other than the Reverso. My 82 year old father in law wears his gold reverso every day and has owned it for over 20 years ..... it’s elegant and timeless and I think suits his style perfectly. He isn’t interested in resale value

I have had this model since 2005 and it’s going nowhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like JLC and will be adding one to the collection again for sure, in my humble opinion a lot of the new breed of watch enthusiasts won’t look beyond Rolex as an expensive purchase because they are more interested in the investment angle rather than any other factors.
    One problem I have found with JLC however has been very poor and expensive customer service so for me I prefer Zenith for example because you get the quality followed by excellent customer service.

Brand recognition created by superior marketing in my eyes. If you were to offer people a free watch, either a £7k Rolex or a £100k Patek, without telling them the value of each 99 out of every 100 would snatch the Rolex from you thinking they’ve got one of the best watches ever made. Sad but probably true.

Master

- Heritage. Rolex is a british watchmaker that moved to Switzerland and makes some iconic watches but JLC is a manufacture that provided movements to Patek, VC, AP etc

Is that supposed to be a joke? ‘’A British watchmaker...makes some iconic watches’’.
    You couldn’t make it up.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Is that supposed to be a joke? ‘’A British watchmaker...makes some iconic watches’’.
    You couldn’t make it up.
    Rolex was founded in London in 1905.

You couldn’t make it up.
    Please point out the factual inaccuracies.

Are you disagreeing that Rolex makes some iconic watches?

Are you disagreeing that Rolex was established in London and moved to Switzerland around 15 years after its inception?

This may help

https://m.rolex.com/about-rolex-watc...1905-1919.html
    Last edited by ryanb741; 27th June 2019 at 13:21.

Master
    You couldn’t make it up.
    No need to make it up, it’s true.

Master
    As a description of Rolex it is adequate in the way that a description of London as ‘a place in Britain’ is adequate.
    That’s ‘true’ after all. Just inadequate to the point of being misleading.
    Last edited by paskinner; 27th June 2019 at 13:23.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes, you do learn something new everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Yes, you do learn something new everyday.
    Some people refuse to... ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    Brand recognition created by superior marketing in my eyes. If you were to offer people a free watch, either a £7k Rolex or a £100k Patek, without telling them the value of each 99 out of every 100 would snatch the Rolex from you thinking they’ve got one of the best watches ever made. Sad but probably true.
    This, and also what Shalako said about investments. See loads of sales posts which is a rolex thats sat in a safe for many years, nothing wrong is this and people have made nice bit of profit but this has got to the state now where all people want is a rolex and mostly to make a quick flip for profit, why else would you buy a watch and leave it in a safe!

Personally JLC make far superior movements than Rolex and by a long way, the designs are much nicer especially from a few years ago - the Navy seals in the SC for example is much nicer than any sub. JLC much like Zenith are far better watches IMO just don't have that hysteria / sheep mentality about them like a SS rolex does.

Master
    - Heritage. Rolex is a british watchmaker that moved to Switzerland to avoid paying taxes and makes some iconic watches but JLC is a manufacture that provided movements to Patek, VC, AP etc
    A slight addition
    As a description of Rolex it is adequate in the way that a description of London as ‘a place in Britain’ is adequate.
    That’s ‘true’ after all. Just inadequate to the point of being misleading.
    How are the facts misleading?

It maybe a very short description, broad strokes, without any details, nevertheless the comment is factually correct.

Again a chap here that has owned 10 plus JLC over the last 10 years or so but completely gave up on the brand in 2014 and this is why.

I have sent many items to the service centre including IWC and on every occasion bar perhaps one the watch had to go back and often multiple times. This was for paid work not just warranty work. The only time the job was done right was when it went to the factory and that took a long time.

Furthermore, I used to like the watches they made. Pre 2012 I think we got great sports watches with chunky cases. Then the compressor range was discontinued Inc the diver watches and replaced with a bunch of boring slimmed down delicate cased same old same old crap that we have now. Completely yawn worthy.

I recently considered buying a four of used richemont watches that needed TLC so I called my old contacts I had as t the service centre ( I was on first name terms with all of them for a few years) and guess what Greg Morton has moved to Rolex, Lisa Byles is now some senior marketing big wig and Linda Castle well her email bounced back saying I wasn't authorised to send her emails. So I called the boutique no answer. Called the concierge and be barely understood English and was as helpful as a chocolate teapot. So, I just gave up.

As for quality, JLC are a movement manufacturer first and foremost and a very successful one. Their technical ability is undoubted. I found their watches well made and finished but no better than other brands at the same price point i.e. Rolex and even omega in some instances.

Their star has faded and it's a tragic shame. Ruined by richemont some would say. It makes sense as IWC also haven't produced anything I'm interested in for a while either...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
    Again a chap here that has owned 10 plus JLC over the last 10 years or so but completely gave up on the brand in 2014 and this is why.

I have sent many items to the service centre including IWC and on every occasion bar perhaps one the watch had to go back and often multiple times. This was for paid work not just warranty work. The only time the job was done right was when it went to the factory and that took a long time.

Furthermore, I used to like the watches they made. Pre 2012 I think we got great sports watches with chunky cases. Then the compressor range was discontinued Inc the diver watches and replaced with a bunch of boring slimmed down delicate cased same old same old crap that we have now. Completely yawn worthy.

I recently considered buying a four of used richemont watches that needed TLC so I called my old contacts I had as t the service centre ( I was on first name terms with all of them for a few years) and guess what Greg Morton has moved to Rolex, Lisa Byles is now some senior marketing big wig and Linda Castle well her email bounced back saying I wasn't authorised to send her emails. So I called the boutique no answer. Called the concierge and be barely understood English and was as helpful as a chocolate teapot. So, I just gave up.

As for quality, JLC are a movement manufacturer first and foremost and a very successful one. Their technical ability is undoubted. I found their watches well made and finished but no better than other brands at the same price point i.e. Rolex and even omega in some instances.

Their star has faded and it's a tragic shame. Ruined by richemont some would say. It makes sense as IWC also haven't produced anything I'm interested in for a while either...
    Both brands ruined under the baleful ownership of Richemont.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
    Good post, and that's the nub of it for me. I can accept mechanical watches going wrong, but I can't cope with poor service when they do. I've had very good service from Rolex, Omega, and Zenith, poor after-care from Breitling, and read lots of stories like this re JLC. In consequence I'll cheerfully buy more Rolex, Omega, and Zenith (if I can afford to); won't buy any more Breitling (and am looking to let one go), and wouldn't buy a JLC.

Master
    I was put off by tales of servicing woe, but lusted after the Deep Sea. Couldn't be happier!

One point not mentioned so far is that JLeC excel at smaller numbers of more complicated movements whereas Rolex excel at producing larger numbers of simple movements. More people seem to prefer simple watches IMHO.

I agree with the other comments about JLeC having superior quality, branding issues, service perception etc. I’d add that you don’t have to have them serviced by the maker.

I love my Deepsea Legend. A proper divers watch with a compression case and mechanical alarm. Plus it's only one of 959 ever made.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    The Polaris is a terrific watch and probably the best finished of any watch I have owned. The rubber strap is light years better than any I have tried previously.

For me, I admit I am a flipper by nature and wanted to get a specific watch which had come up and quite rare. I don't have the funds presently to buy without selling.

The watch does wear larger than 42 due to the dial size and my OCD kicked in. If it was a 40 it would be perfect.

I have had lots and lots of interest particularly trades but nothing yet for me to part with the Polaris. This time of year money is tight and a few very desirable and keenly priced watches on SC have not sold.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    The Polaris is a terrific watch and probably the best finished of any watch I have owned. The rubber strap is light years better than any I have tried previously.

For me, I admit I am a flipper by nature and wanted to get a specific watch which had come up and quite rare. I don't have the funds presently to buy without selling.

The watch does wear larger than 42 due to the dial size and my OCD kicked in. If it was a 40 it would be perfect.

I have had lots and lots of interest particularly trades but nothing yet for me to part with the Polaris. This time of year money is tight and a few very desirable and keenly priced watches on SC have not sold.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Your Polaris is a gorgeous piece!

Can they not be serviced by independents? I remember reading here somewhere form one of our watch repairers that the reverso movement is quite a straightforward movement to service.

Master
    It’s because the average non WIS cannot even pronounce the brand!

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I’d add that you don’t have to have them serviced by the maker.
    This!!!
    My watchmaker does all the Jlc movements..even the Chrono retrograde which is not the easiest one!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunsung View Post
    It’s because the average non WIS cannot even pronounce the brand!
    It’s one of them JeJer LeCoutr watches, in it? As they say in the Dordogne's !

Master
    All about the servicing for me

Master
    One of the things about Jaeger imo . Is that yes I know they’ve produced serious dive watches in the past and the dirty dozen but they then stayed super traditional with small dress watches common to 40’s , 50’s , 60’’s. Nothing wrong with that but when the rise of steel sports really took off it left a number of brands fighting for a smaller space. AP was an obvious case in point, who then managed to save themselves with the Royal Oak.
    I’d happily by a Reverso at some point but if it’s steel sports which is my choice 98% of the time. I turn to Omega and for others it’s Rolex, Breitling etc. A Navy Seals JLC looks fantastic but I can’t help thinking it’s like a Cartier Diver. However good it is. There’s always the Sub or Seamaster as the block in the way.

The Master Control Date has caught my eye. I think even more so the previous 37mm.

Does anybody own a current or earlier model?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    AP was an obvious case in point, who then managed to save themselves with the Royal Oak.
    The irony being that without JLeC’s movements there would not have been a Royal Oak. The fact that AP were able to charge 2-3x as much as JLeC for watches based on the same movement, makes your point I guess.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    I really like the brand for its heritage and for me a ‘thinking man’s watch’ in not following the herd.

The thread that is running at the moment about values spoiling the hobby might form an answer to the OP. It’s a watch of a significant but not stupid cost that isn’t the ‘go to’ brand. Trying to shift anything other than PO or Rolex is a challenge ..... but that only matters if you are a flipper

Suspect the average watch buyer doesn’t realise that JLC make any models other than the Reverso. My 82 year old father in law wears his gold reverso every day and has owned it for over 20 years ..... it’s elegant and timeless and I think suits his style perfectly. He isn’t interested in resale value

I have had this model since 2005 and it’s going nowhere.

Yep, I have the exact same watch. It's very special because there's nothing out there quite like it.

I also don't understand why JLC stops designing asymmetric dials, they are masters at it.

Master
    I literally haven't considered JLC after reading a tranche of negative customer service stories a while back. Then again I don't like the Reverso so I'm clearly not JLC inclined!

To be honest the problem with the Polaris is that it's just a bit boring. I've found a lot of their sports watches a bit flat in the flesh. The finishing etc is ok and all, but value for money is a bit poor IMO.

For me they play in a similar category as Glashütte Original, except GO make much more interesting watches. That's the crux for me, JLC leave me uninspired and cold.

Master
    Having only owned one (MC Diving GMT 46mm) it definitely made me into a fan of the brand. The finishing was incredible and the vulcanised bracelet and deployant were the best I have ever seen. I would love one of these in the future; who else does a 9 hand watch with a classic look, at this quality for such a low price?
    https://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/eu/...c/1428421.html

They’re not better than Rolex. Just different.

This one’s a cracking watch for all sorts of reasons. It’s very pretty, very easy to live with and decent value for a PC.

Craftsman
    No probs.

So some examples

- beveled edges on the lugs
    - level of brushed finish and contrast with polished edges is better
    - dial finish is at another level
    - 1000 hour testing of whole watch as opposed to just the movement

Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder and Rolex make some amazing bracelets even if the dialwork is a tad agricultural compared to the likes of GS at that price point so I fully appreciate that there are areas in which Rolex may be better also (not least value retention!).

Shameless plug perhaps, but the finest finished sports watch on SC is my Breguet by a country mile ;)

Craftsman
    Also just as hard to sell, I might add!