closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: David Chase working on a Sopranos prequel. To be aired in September

Blog Entries

David Chase working on a Sopranos prequel. To be aired in September

Today's NBC interview with the former cast of the Sopranos revealed (for me) the fact that David Chase, the original creator of the Sopranos is working on a prequel. The Many Saints of Newark. The movie is set in the mid-60s. Leading character is Gandolfini's son. He just looks like his father and according to people he can walk and talk just like his dad.

IMDB has a short 'what we know so far' video on their website.

Menno

Master
    Blog Entries
    That could be good.

Craftsman
    I follow a couple of Sopranos FB pages and there’s a fair bit of info on there about this.

https://www.facebook.com/TheSopranosMembersOnly/

Yea I'd love that too

As a huge fan of The Sopranos I have slightly mixed feelings about this, but then again if it's not up to scratch it can be treated as a stand-alone creation anyway, so perhaps it doesn't matter too much.

I presume Jon Bernthal, Corey Stoll & Vera Farmigia will portray Johnny-Boy, Junior & Livia Soprano respectively, which I suspect will turn-out to be excellent casting if so. Add in Ray Liotta & Alessandro Nivola, and things are shaping-up nicely.

Brave on many levels to cast James Gandolfini's son as the young Tony - I must admit to being unfamiliar with his acting, but I have 'The Deuce' recorded so I'll perhaps watch that soon to get more of a measure of him.

Master
    Sounds good to me.

There wasn't really any way they could go but backwards with this, unless they wanted to undo the "die he/didn't he" tension from the marmite fade-to-black finale. Of course, with the death of James Gandolfini they would now have been forced into writing in the death of Tony Soprano.

I like the way they have spun it; that this was the classic era for style and the defining age of the American Mafia. I've dug through a few stills online and it looks super cool... the Sopranos lot were all a bunch of leisure-wear adorned slobs in comparison.

These prequels and spin offs are ok in my book. I really enjoyed the Sons of Anarchy one despite a bit of resistance from the critics, and I will most definitely be tuning into this. If nothing else Jon Bernthal is always fantastic to watch.

Will this be a film or a series? Hopefully a series. Definitely excited to watch it as I liked the 60s flashback scenes with a young Junior.

Oh and Tony definitely died in the last episode, see the sequence of camera shots and then the black screen from Tony's perspective.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Oh and Tony definitely died in the last episode, see the sequence of camera shots and then the black screen from Tony's perspective.

I don't think that's correct... hence the ambiguity I suppose, everyone can make up their own mind. The only chap who could have shed any light on it has refused to give a definitive answer. The closest he ever got was an interview where he suggested Tony survived that night in the diner but not for much longer after that, his card was marked.

Interestingly the original ending was going to be TS driving to a meet with Johnny Sack in New York. As he drove through the Lincoln Tunnel the light gradually faded, and the screen remained black. That might have been a bit more definitive, even tossed around as "the death scene" although we never see the final act.

Blog Entries
    It will never have the makings of a Gomorra athlete

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    To move forward without it going to melancholy would be to just write him out like they did Tom Hagen ( in 3) or say he passed away as he did in real life. Many fans could get on-board I think with that as he died of a heart attack just incorporating into Tony's character could be fitting and onwards .

On a side tangent , Gomorra doesn't seem to suffer from that main character death blow that affects the fans or series. Many great characters such as Don Pietro , Ciro de Marzio have been 'retired' amongst tons of sub plot characters and yet the show always manages to find a new anti hero to root for or some tragic plot device to move forward with.

I'm astounded at the development of the Patrizia character.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Will this be a film or a series? Hopefully a series. Definitely excited to watch it as I liked the 60s flashback scenes with a young Junior.

I loved the whole 60's vibe. The Johnny boy era was great and the actor is pretty good. He turned up in Carlitos way as a made guy also . Hope they re incorporate him . The Ade Edmondson Junior double from the 60's looks cool also .

Ha yes that's what I thought too!

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    I don't think that's correct... hence the ambiguity I suppose, everyone can make up their own mind. The only chap who could have shed any light on it has refused to give a definitive answer. The closest he ever got was an interview where he suggested Tony survived that night in the diner but not for much longer after that, his card was marked.

Interestingly the original ending was going to be TS driving to a meet with Johnny Sack in New York. As he drove through the Lincoln Tunnel the light gradually faded, and the screen remained black. That might have been a bit more definitive, even tossed around as "the death scene" although we never see the final act.
    Don't think that would have been as gripping. The way I saw it, each time the camera switched to showing what Tony saw when he was looking at the door to see Meadow come in; so the last time it switched to his perspective it went black, as he got shot in the head by someone coming out from the toilet (there were a few candidates going in I think). Fits with Tony's warning throughout that you never see it coming... Much stronger than showing his body and the family screaming although as you say also its strength is that it's not definitive and you can interpret it as you like.

Heard about this some time ago, hope it turns out well.

Personally I think a '60's set show would be great, I always enjoyed the flashback Johnny boy sequences.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    Release of 'Many Saint...' is scheduled for September 2020.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Release of 'Many Saint...' is scheduled for September 2020.
    Ach, we could all be dead by then... :-(