closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: It's not only the Defenders!

It's not only the Defenders!

Some of you will remember my post a few weeks back about the Defender with the rear cross member corrosion.
    Well here we are again but this time a D2!
    This car is a 2004 which is virtually a run out model but sadly the rot has well and truly gotten hold.
    Most of the time with these vehicles the rear chassis legs blow out from the inside.....design fault which lets water in and sits at the lowest point. This one was very different with the normal areas perfectly ok but rotten behind the suspension air sacks.
    Slightly more complicated job than the Defender due to the suspension configuration but vastly easier to gain access and take apart. There's a huge amount of these being scrapped for this reason however theres also loads out there with this time bomb waiting to happen. The pics........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Makes a mockery of the image that is portrayed for such vehicles. Great for your business though

Blog Entries
    Is it really the D2 or (also) neglect by the owner. That rust didn't appear overnight.

Menno

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    That rust didn't appear overnight.Menno
    It’s a Landrover so it could have done🤪🤪

A chap I know has one of the last defenders off the line.. stored in a heated garage and never used....0 miles on the clock... it’s going rusty and has developed an oil link whilst just sitting there.

Master
    I had a 2010 Defender 90 XS CSW which I used throughout the year. First thing I did was to clean the chassis and coat it with Dinitrol (like waxoyl but much better). It stayed pretty much rust free until I sold it last year.

Left alone they will slowly rust away.

Blog Entries
    Dinitrol is good stuff. Having said that... some Dinitrol adepts just have everything covered by the stuff with the rust under the wax. Some shops state: "Yeah, when covered with Dinitrol there's no way the rust will go on; there's no 'air' under the Dinitrol..."

Furthermore, I'm a great fan of Mike Sander's anti-rust products http://www.mike-sander.de (with an English page as well). Even the local Dinitrol workshop admits that Sander's products are at least as good as Dinitrol's.

Menno

Master
    Great post, thanks FFF, much appreciated.

B

Craftsman
    The cost of this chassis repair must surely write an 04 D2 off? I wouldn’t take this on in my workshop even if the customer was happy to pay,it’s surely not a viable proposition? Fair play to you though - that is not a pleasant job by any means and you seem to like getting stuck in to em mate!ps- I assume Land Cruiser is a dirty word in your area??
    Last edited by meridian; 27th June 2019 at 08:23. Reason: Addition

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    It’s a Landrover so it could have done浪浪

A chap I know has one of the last defenders off the line.. stored in a heated garage and never used....0 miles on the clock... it’s going rusty and has developed an oil link whilst just sitting there.
    I'm not surprised about the oil leak, cars need to be used, seals and bushes will be going hard, oils congealing, it's a terrible way to treat a car.

Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    The cost of this chassis repair must surely write an 04 D2 off? I wouldn’t take this on in my workshop even if the customer was happy to pay,it’s surely not a viable proposition? Fair play to you though - that is not a pleasant job by any means and you seem to like getting stuck in to em mate!ps- I assume Land Cruiser is a dirty word in your area??
    Before carrying out any such work we always check the car over to make sure it mechanically and financially viable. This customer was given the vehicle and it’s stands him at nothing so he reasoned it was worth it to get a few years use.
    We find it very difficult sometimes carrying out repairs where the repair costs more than the vehicle is worth and so would always advise against it..... some customers however don’t take advise and blindly continue with their vehicles, devil you know scenario

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Dinitrol is good stuff. Having said that... some Dinitrol adepts just have everything covered by the stuff with the rust under the wax. Some shops state: "Yeah, when covered with Dinitrol there's no way the rust will go on; there's no 'air' under the Dinitrol..."

Furthermore, I'm a great fan of Mike Sander's anti-rust products http://www.mike-sander.de (with an English page as well). Even the local Dinitrol workshop admits that Sander's products are at least as good as Dinitrol's.

Menno
    Have you heard of bilt-hamber? Their rust removal, conversion and waxes seem to have a good following in th UK.
    https://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion...st-treatments/
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 27th June 2019 at 12:32. Reason: There, their, they’re

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Before carrying out any such work we always check the car over to make sure it mechanically and financially viable. This customer was given the vehicle and it’s stands him at nothing so he reasoned it was worth it to get a few years use.
    We find it very difficult sometimes carrying out repairs where the repair costs more than the vehicle is worth and so would always advise against it..... some customers however don’t take advise and blindly continue with their vehicles, devil you know scenario
    What sort of order of cost are we talking about for that level of repair? (I appreciate that you may not want to be specific of course!)

My old D3 always cost me an eye-watering amount of money to have repaired, serviced, whatever really, however basic the item was so I dread to think what this chaps bill will amount to.

Master
    Weren't the insides of the chassis members Waxoyled (or equivalent) in the factory? I got my Fiesta done when I bought it new thirty years ago so I would have expected this sort of vehicle to have it done as standard.

I was unfortunate enough to unwittingly buy not one but two defenders that had been dumped in the sea to launch boats. Guess what happened to the rear cross-members.

All vehicles need to be properly prepared for storage and need a certain amount of keep-alive maintenance. Driving a vehicle into storage and just leaving it there is asking for it and I can't imagine that's happened to one of the last defenders off the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    What sort of order of cost are we talking about for that level of repair? (I appreciate that you may not want to be specific of course!)

My old D3 always cost me an eye-watering amount of money to have repaired, serviced, whatever really, however basic the item was so I dread to think what this chaps bill will amount to.
    It was estimated at about £1300 however it's likely to end up around £1400-1500.
    Very difficult to price this precisely before it's stripped due to obvious reasons.

Craftsman
    Hi again FFF, I if it stands him in 2k in reasonable order and he has work for it I guess it’s not too bad. Trouble is it’s all the “while it’s stripped stuff” that runs away isn’t it? Full brake pipe rerun,axle bushes,should we change the airbags or do a spring conversion? And on it goes. Good luck to you tho it’s not your decision it’s the owners isn’t it. Out of interest do you buy partial chassis or fabricate your own?

Hi again FFF, I if it stands him in 2k in reasonable order and he has work for it I guess it’s not too bad. Trouble is it’s all the “while it’s stripped stuff” that runs away isn’t it? Full brake pipe rerun,axle bushes,should we change the airbags or do a spring conversion? And on it goes. Good luck to you tho it’s not your decision it’s the owners isn’t it. Out of interest do you buy partial chassis or fabricate your own?

We check over the vehicle to make sure theres nothing obvious that needs doing before the decision to continue is made. There's no way we would only look at the chassis whilst doing this and quote £1300 and then turn round and say oh by the way it also needs XXXXXXX and it'll cost an extra XXXXX
    This actually does need brake pipes which are an absolute doddle whilst out, all the suspension bushes are ok and can be reused. The price for pipes is factored in, it's the stuff you can't see that's not obvious before stripping that can increase the price. For instance we could spend an hour getting 1 seized bolt out which we simply wouldn't know beforehand.
    Thankfully we know the cars, know the issues and we'd always give the customer our opinion before starting anything like this. If they choose to ignore your best advise then that isn't our fault.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 27th June 2019 at 19:19.

Craftsman
    Fair enough F,I wasn’t judging anyone just an interested fellow mechanic. Good luck with the mig in this heat,

Fair enough F,I wasn’t judging anyone just an interested fellow mechanic. Good luck with the mig in this heat,
    Yeh no worries, I didn't read it any other way. Cheers

Master
    It was estimated at about £1300 however it's likely to end up around £1400-1500.
    Very difficult to price this precisely before it's stripped due to obvious reasons.
    As a long time owner of older land rovers of various models that seems very fair to me. These things aren’t always driven by economics though. I have spent much more than my RRC is worth in repairs in the last two years and it’s just dropped a cylinder liner (3.9v8) so the block is out and off to Turner Engineering for some work. Probably another £3k by the it’s back in but I’m missing the old dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    As a long time owner of older land rovers of various models that seems very fair to me. These things aren’t always driven by economics though. I have spent much more than my RRC is worth in repairs in the last two years and it’s just dropped a cylinder liner (3.9v8) so the block is out and off to Turner Engineering for some work. Probably another £3k by the it’s back in but I’m missing the old dog.
    Youre 100% correct, the love of the vehicle also plays a big part especially where some Land Rovers are concerned. I don't think there's many Vehicle out there (mass) where people are prepared to spend so much to keep them running.

Thank you.
    That seems quite reasonable to me!

Every single thing I had done to my old D3 had a minimum £1k bill. They are big, heavy, expensive cars so come with the expenses to suit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    What's this a RRC causing problems and costing money. That never happens does it FFF?
    Are having top hat liners put in Gurmot?
    The thing is they are quite nice to drive even if they throw up a few issues on occasion (ok most months).
    David

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    What's this a RRC causing problems and costing money. That never happens does it FFF?
    The thing is they are quite nice to drive even if they throw up a few issues on occasion (ok most months).
    David
    In all fairness if you take away the latest engine issue then it really hasn't been that bad. It's only really wear and tear items and the odd oil leak which can happening to anything. We look after many more newer vehicles that are far more problematic that your RRC

After much sweating and swearing finally got the chassis in this afternoon.

Craftsman
    Dinitroled my Defender from new (2013) an recoated last year, no issues

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    David
    Yes, top hat liners by Turner Engineering. Missing the old girl - have to drive to 996 every day.

For instance we could spend an hour getting 1 seized bolt out which we simply wouldn't know beforehand.
    The story of my life in diy car/bike work, right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Have you heard of bilt-hamber? Their rust removal, conversion and waxes seem to have a good following in th UK.
    https://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion...st-treatments/
    I'm a big fan, used their products on many cars and bikes over the years.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    That new chassis looks great. Must have been a tough job, working 'over your head', offering up all the pieces and get them aligned as well.

Menno