closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pot smoking neighbour

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    But what is actually vile about it? It's a flower, and just smells like it, floral and pungent, it's not like it stinks of sewage or such.
    Really, sorry, but it stinks, it’s a thick, rancid smell that gets into your clothes, just like the ‘cheap’ favs everyone smokes, you know, the fake Marlboro Reds that have almost no tobacco in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    But it may (allegedly) cause you to fail a drugs test at work.
    No argument, it might be possible. But I'm questioning what is actually vile about the smell. I struggle to see how anyone would genuinely consider it vile. I can't help but think that people's opinion is influenced by it being an illegal drug. As mentioned, there are many herbs and foods etc, which are just as pungent.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    No idea, is he or his partner employed?
    One of our plant operatives was dismissed for failing a random test.
    It was subsequently proved to have been caused by breathing second hand smoke at a party, unfortunately that was no good for him as the contract had finished in the six months it took to prove it.
    Well second-hand smoke at a party is different to what might be coming in his windows.

Curious how many people hate the smell purely because it's an illegal drug. It is strong, sure, but so is rosemary,curry,bbq smoke, and so on. Its hardly an obnoxious smell.
    It’s legal here in Canada now and quite popular. Everyday when I walk from work to the train station I smell it. It smells like a skunk’s sprayed everywhere (I guess that’s where the nickname comes from) which isn’t meant to be pleasant, is it?

Master
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm not a smoker but the smell doesn't offend me in the least, it's probably safer than drinking to be fair.

That said, it's not a smell I want around my house. One of our neighbours recently moved out and started renting out their house, and a young couple moved in who are on the stuff every day. There is usually a very faint pong of the stuff past their house but what we noticed when the weather warmed up a few weeks ago was if we left the kids bedroom window open it wafted in in plumes while they were in their garden! Obviously that wasn't going to stand so I had a friendly but very firm word with them and luckily it hasn't happened again since.
    Pure guess work from this point but if there had been any conflict or they had ignored me I would have probably asked him again a little less nicely, then the next time I would have put his face through his car window. I appreciate most people are a little more tactful than me but I have very low tolerance levels when it comes to the kids. Plus I fancy my chances explaining myself to the police rather than my wife.

Craftsman
    I firmly believe that if it didn’t stink so much weed would be legal in the UK. For a non-smoker it does smell horrible, have you asked him if it’s medicinal / prescribed or not?

Smell, like taste is highly individualistic and subjective.

I can’t stand the smell of weed - to me it is sickly sweet and extremely pungent.

The smell of it makes me want to gag.
    So clever my foot fell off.

I think everyone just needs to shut up and skin up

I personally love the smell, but that might change if it was coming through the house all day, every day. One thing I do know is that my wife wouldn't stand for it.

This big, 'ard-looking geezer bloke opposite us drives a huge high loader wagon for work. He used to start it up every morning at about 6 and leave it running for half an hour before he set off. God knows why. Anyway, the diesel fumes and noise were too much for the missus so after three mornings of this she steamed outside and had a word. The bloke look terrified and it had never occurred to him that he might be waking everyone up and pumping fumes into the house. He never does it now and always says hello when we see him.

I think what I'm saying is, send the wife round

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Pure guess work from this point but if there had been any conflict or they had ignored me I would have probably asked him again a little less nicely, then the next time I would have put his face through his car window. :
    Good luck with that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    They call it 'dope' for a reason.

Dope is heroin you dafty and it's from the Dutch word 'doop' that means brown paste.

Multiple peer reviewed studies have been made showing that IQs of adult who smoke weed do not decrease at all from long term smoking.

Kids and teens obviously shouldn't smoke or take other drugs like drink and ciggies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Dope is heroin you dafty
    Growing up, I always thought JP2 was smoking a spliff.

Blog Entries
    Dope is heroin you dafty and it's from the Dutch word 'doop' that means brown paste.

Multiple peer reviewed studies have been made showing that IQs of adult who smoke weed do not decrease at all from long term smoking.

Kids and teens obviously shouldn't smoke or take other drugs like drink and ciggies.
    Not round these parts, always known as ‘smoking dope’.

I’m sure it’s a wonderful thing, and helps people to get on in life no end.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Do they have a letterbox...?

Blog Entries
    No argument, it might be possible. But I'm questioning what is actually vile about the smell. I struggle to see how anyone would genuinely consider it vile. I can't help but think that people's opinion is influenced by it being an illegal drug. As mentioned, there are many herbs and foods etc, which are just as pungent.
    I don’t like the smell of Martini, cider, lavender and fish. They are probably legal. Some others might like them.
    I like the smell of Castrol R, others might find it obnoxious.
    It’s a subjective thing, people’s tastes differ.

Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    Do they have a letterbox...?
    Just what I was thinking

Funnily enough... since it’s been legalized in Canada you actually don’t smell it as often as you used to if out in the town or st a concert. I guess people go to the venues and events to enjoy what is on offer now given they can smoke up at home.

Ask him if they could smoke out the back or buy yourself a room air-condition unit.

Master
    As others have pointed out, if you suspect any of them are driving while high the police will very much be interested.

Thanks for all your comments, even though some are a bit leftfield? I'll probably have a chat when I see him next in the garden. I use CBD paste so understand the benefits of hemp, but of course I don't get the high. I puffed a bit of weed back in the 70's, but I think the strength of the drugs these days is completely different.
    I'm sure we will work it out, smoking is a vile anti social behaviour. We all understand the risks these days ... I'm just surprised so many still choose to dally with their health. All to their own

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Funnily enough... since it’s been legalized in Canada you actually don’t smell it as often as you used to if out in the town or st a concert. I guess people go to the venues and events to enjoy what is on offer now given they can smoke up at home.
    and edibles/vaping, no need to light up.

Journeyman
    Why should people have to put up with the stink of pot? I wouldn't either. So guess I must be a 'pompous pratt' as well.
    Why should I have to put up with the stink of curry one of my neighbors is Asian ?. I really don't mind it at all . Just making the point. Would rather smell the weed though. Perhaps they should ask there Neighbour for a spliff each and chill out !

And many other medical studies are showing strong links to an increase in mental health issues and cognitive function.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paul staines View Post
    Why should I have to put up with the stink of curry one of my neighbors is Asian ?. I really don't mind it at all . Just making the point. Would rather smell the weed though. Perhaps they should ask there Neighbour for a spliff each and chill out !
    I eat curry and I’m not Asian. I like curry and it’s legal.
    I don’t like cannabis or it’s smell and it’s illegal.
    Why should someone take drugs just to fit in with the neighbours?
    Well officer the neighbours were doing it so I thought I’d better join in!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    And many other medical studies are showing strong links to an increase in mental health issues and cognitive function.
    Very much agree with that. A friend of mine has seriously jiggered his brain up with cannabis. Two serious car crashes, he can go to the cinema, come out and can't remember what the film was even called! 😲

Being illegal is irrelevant if the law isn’t interested so just down to courtesy to neighbours like any other annoyance (smell, noise or whatever).

OP, you and I are in an identical situation, other than that I cannot identify who the culprit is so proceeding is rather more challening.

Every time we get the smell wafting through (five times yesterday, and I was only here in the morning and evening!) a different property's window is open, and a different garden is occupied. It's possible multiple homes are smoking it, greatly reducing the likelihood of it being stopped.

I understand why the police will not get involved - there is no indication currently of dealing or production, and due to rather low funding levels they have more pressing matters to deal with than some home weed smokers.

If I find a remedy I'll be sure to let you know! At least you have identified who is causing the smell, so that's step one.

Grand Master
    As Wildheart says, since the 90’s a sort of weed “arms race” has seriously upped the strength from when I was in my 20’s and may or may not have smoked a few toots. I often smell it walking about and it’s gone from a pleasant herbal smell to a very pungent overpowering one in most cases, there is a small park near a mates house and you can smell the local teens spliffing up even though they are about 100 yards away. We used to use patchouli oil to cover the whiff which is probably worse though😜
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

True that, the commercially popular skunky derived stuff honks.

When I smell it from my neighbours, my first thought is "lucky bastards - can you get me some?"

Communal, city living is full of minor annoyances; dogs howling for absent owners, loud Harley-Davidsons motorbikes, people using the bottle bank at midnight, bad guitar playing, neighbours rowing at full volume, neighbours shagging, the drunk up the stair flinging his empties into the garden below, people cooking something that smells like petrol and so on and so on.

It could be worse but good luck with speaking to them Paul, if you do go round for a word. Let's hope you can come to a friendly and neighbourly accommodation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Yes those studies were in teens / young brains.

Cannabis has zero effect on congnitive brain function of an adult.

Alcohol on the other hands is horrific yet nearly everyone has a bevvy and thinks they are above weed smokers.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    When I smell it from my neighbours, my first thought is "lucky bastards - can you get me some?"

Communal, city living is full of minor annoyances; dogs howling for absent owners, loud Harley-Davidsons motorbikes, people using the bottle bank at midnight, bad guitar playing, neighbours rowing at full volume, neighbours shagging, the drunk up the stair flinging his empties into the garden below, people cooking something that smells like petrol and so on and so on.

It could be worse but good luck with speaking to them Paul, if you do go round for a word. Let's hope you can come to a friendly and neighbourly accommodation.
    First of all I live in a village, in a cul de sac. My partner and I work so during the day he can puff along to his hearts content (which he probably does) but his wife works shifts so he chooses to puff away through the night as well. That's the bit that we struggle with, as our bedroom fills with his fumes if we have the windows open.
    My other neighbour passed away two weeks ago so her house is empty, but our terrace is very peaceful its just his pot fumes that are an annoyance. I'm a docile old sod, who gives where ever I can, but my lady is not best pleased so its up to me to have a quiet word.

Journeyman
    I eat curry and I’m not Asian. I like curry and it’s legal.
    I don’t like cannabis or it’s smell and it’s illegal.
    Why should someone take drugs just to fit in with the neighbours?
    Well officer the neighbours were doing it so I thought I’d better join in!
    You would be a lot happier if you did. Go on give it a go.
    Be a devil.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paul staines View Post
    You would be a lot happier if you did. Go on give it a go.
    Be a devil.
    I doubt I would. Tried a few things 45 odd years ago, decided real life was better! And I've been a devil.

A nurse being high all the time must be interesting at workplace

Journeyman
    I doubt I would. Tried a few things 45 odd years ago, decided real life was better! And I've been a devil.
    63 and still trying things. Live and let live .

Sometimes in these situations it's the wife (yours, not his) who needs a word had with, given a bit of perspective on things. Often I find mine is more receptive to this from anyone but me

For better or worse Cannabis is de facto legal in this country now so you might as well treat this as you would any other neighbourly difficulty and forget the criminal aspect.

umm, I think that Dope is Cannabis Resin, ie Brown & Sticky and you break off little bits into your rollup/cookie mix.

Master
    I have no problem with people ingesting recreational chemicals be they legal, illegal, natural or synthetic, it's their body and their risk.

I do have a problem if it affects me personally (or others in general).
    This breaks down into
    1) things like the OP's post where the smell of it is impacting his life, this is a relatively simple one to fix, talk to the neighbor and ask them to modify their behavior.
    2) in general where the use has caused issues either medical, psychological or societal, my tax money is then spent of fixing the issue in hospital, counseling or benefits. This is why I'm in favour of legalization and taxation.

Prohibition has been proven time and time again to be ineffective. Just legalize it, standardize it, tax it and educate people about it.

Anyway my advice? Have a word with the guy and take it from there.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Id just go round and have a quiet word and explain that the night time smell invades your home.