closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Shanklin, IOW residents on here?

Any Shanklin, IOW residents on here?

I'll be visiting Shanklin later in the year and would like to find the hotel I stayed in as part of a school trip back in 1982 when I was 10 years old. I can remember very little about it, other than it was big enough to accomodate 30 or 40 school kids (although there were three of us in my room), had quite a long frontage to the road, had white render (i think) on the outside and I distinctly remember a large old wooden coach wheel mounted on the front of the building (I remember a now long lost photo of me and some friends standing next to it, so it was relatively low down on the wall). I can also remember it being within walking distance from Shanklin Chine, but I don't think it was right in the heart of the town. I also remember it had an outside pool to the left side (or left rear) of the hotel.

Any help in identifying it would be very appreciated. I keep looking on Google Maps, but nothing seems to be jogging my memory. Perhaps it has been demolished.

Cheers

Gary

Google images?

Is this any good.
    30 seconds on google searching for Shankill Grand Hotel isle of wight = zero success
    10 seconds on google with "Grand" removed and this picture popped up.
    https://www.iknow-uk.com/accommodati...+of+Wight#rs=1

If this isn't the correct hotel - search google images for Shankill Grand Hotel isle of wight
    Edit - I found this image with the town name spelled incorrectly. It should have been Shanklin.
    Last edited by Reeny; 25th June 2019 at 16:10. Reason: Ooops - bloomin dyslexic keyboard again

Could it have been the Ocean View? It's about ten minutes walk from the chine and is near the lift to the beach.

Thanks for your efforts chaps, but no, not the Chestnuts or Ocean View. It was not close to the sea and it was definitely wider than the Chestnuts. The left wheel is similar to the one I have in my mind’s eye, but it was definitely ground floor level, although I appreciate it could have been moved in the years since I was there.

Could be one of those on Queen's Road, the Melbourne Ardenlea has an indoor pool and is very near the chine. Things have changed quite a lot since the eighties though! Link