closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex LV Stolen In Paris

Master

Rolex LV Stolen In Paris

Not really sure there’s anything which can be done now but thought I’d ask on the Forum.
    Friend travels the world with his job and is currently in Paris.
    Was approached by a woman outside his hotel after a night out and the usual fuss made and attention.
    Realised straight away his mobile and watch was gone as soon as he walked away and managed to herd the woman into the hotel lobby.
    He got his phone back but no watch and couldn’t stop the woman from walking off unless force was used.
    He’s been onto the ins co and has been to the police station 3 times only to be told come back later...
    I’ve told him to look round the local money shops etc.
    The hotel are reviewing footage but not much else happening.
    Anything else he can do?

CCTV.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    CCTV.
    He’s meeting the manager shortly. Everyone seems unwilling to help tbh.
    All very laid back and uninterested. Hopefully the forth visit to the police station will let him have an incident number for the insurance co.

Master
    You're a tourist (work or pleasure is irrelevant) the French police will do as little as possible for you if anything at all. In fact many tourist destinations the police just keep the peace, dislike UK visitors especially (tarred with the "lads on tour" brush) and want the situation and you to simply go away.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    You're a tourist (work or pleasure is irrelevant) the French police will do as little as possible for you if anything at all. In fact many tourist destinations the police just keep the peace, dislike UK visitors especially (tarred with the "lads on tour" brush) and want the situation and you to simply go away.
    Looks that way. Finally managed to report it with the police just now.
    Tbf the guys were ok with him and apparently looked shocked when asked for a value.
    He’s gutted, had it for over 14 years as his daily wearer and been to some right dodgy places, then it gets taken by a woman outside a nice hotel!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post
    Looks that way. Finally managed to report it with the police just now.
    Tbf the guys were ok with him and apparently looked shocked when asked for a value.
    He’s gutted, had it for over 14 years as his daily wearer and been to some right dodgy places, then it gets taken by a woman outside a nice hotel!
    That is a shame, but from her POV, the nice people in nice areas will have nice stuff, and less likely to kick-off. Unfortunately they know their business

Must have been some "fuss and attention" to get his watch off his wrist without him noticing. And if it'd been me and I had her in a hotel lobby, knowing she had my watch, there is no way she'd be walking away, force or not!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    Must have been some "fuss and attention" to get his watch off his wrist without him noticing. And if it'd been me and I had her in a hotel lobby, knowing she had my watch, there is no way she'd be walking away, force or not!
    Yes, hindsight is wonderful.
    This is how the professionals obtain watches nowadays.
    Exactly the same happened to my father in Spain but fortunately he managed to retain it when he realised it was resting on his knuckle.
    Flip lock off, catch unfastened and almost removed.
    He was Sober and alert, it was also attempted in broad daylight.

It's sadly becoming more of a liability to wear a Rolex these days. At least no physical harm was experienced and hopefully insurance will pay out.

Well that's a weird story! If he noticed his watch was gone why did he let her go after he got his phone back inside the lobby? Surely someone from the hotel could have assisted while the police was called?

Anyway at this point it's going to rest with the insurance as it's unlikely to be peddled in broad daylight, at least for a while.

Master
    Rolex are doing everything they can to prevent such crimes for future customers, by virtue of not being able to buy one!

Craftsman
    Much like if he was at home...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by webvan View Post
    Well that's a weird story! If he noticed his watch was gone why did he let her go after he got his phone back inside the lobby? Surely someone from the hotel could have assisted while the police was called?

Anyway at this point it's going to rest with the insurance as it's unlikely to be peddled in broad daylight, at least for a while.
    As already said, without pinning and basically assaulting her there was no chance of holding her at the hotel.
    The staff were useless but then again they were 20 year old night porters.
    He’s saying the same thing, why did I let her go? But shock, confusion and a general WTF? just happened took over.
    Police said the target will usually be Maced if you kick off, it’s fortunate that didn’t happen and probably because he was inside the lobby.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by webvan View Post

As already said, without pinning and basically assaulting her there was no chance of holding her at the hotel.
    The staff were useless but then again they were 20 year old night porters.
    He’s saying the same thing, why did I let her go? But shock, confusion and a general WTF? just happened took over.
    Police said the target will usually be Maced if you kick off, it’s fortunate that didn’t happen and probably because he was inside the lobby.
    That's pretty much it, disbelief it's happening, what is happening? And some people do not realise how fast the whole thing is over, even if they realise something is happening at all.

Master
    @Haywood Milton.
    Is it possible to place this on the lost and stolen register you have access to.
    16610 LV
    Case no D860242
    Many thanks.

Master
    Classic sting.
    Woman all over guy whilst dipping him.
    Keep all unsolicited contacts at arms length.
    Easier said than done sometimes but any guy should be aware of these situations.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Horrible feeling that, hope he stays strong and moves on from this bad experience. I’m still very intrigued to know how someone can remove a watch from your wrist without noticing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Easier said then done but if I knew she had my watch whilst cornered in my hotel I would like to think I would pin her down until I got it back - even if dragged into lobby toilet. For a watch going for 12K plus especially

But as you say - all so fast and easier to say now

Master
    @Haywood Milton.
    Is it possible to place this on the lost and stolen register you have access to.
    16610 LV
    Case no D860242
    Many thanks.
    Of course, and the ALR has international reach so is an effective one.

I could do with some specific details by dm, perhaps :

Victim's full name and contact details, with permission for the Registers to contact him if more info needed.
    Description of incident.
    Location, date and time.
    Details of police force / station dealing with it.
    Crime / report number
    Contact details for specific officers dealing, if possible.

Rolex UK might need direct contact, but I'll pick up on that by dm.

Thanks, H

Craftsman
    So sorry to hear that - will keep an eye out.

Weird that he got the phone back but not the watch?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaxia View Post

Phone worth much less than the watch. Give it up and try to escape?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Sort off on topic, which is the most difficult type of watch band for the scum to unfasten and not be noticed? I would have thought a folded back NATO would be tough.

^^Could the woman have thrown the watch to one side in the hotel when the phone was being retrieved?

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxia View Post

Likely identified as the item of most value and secreted somewhere/passed to an accomplice? If they can get things off you very easily, they can no doubt conceal items on themselves even more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Sort off on topic, which is the most difficult type of watch band for the scum to unfasten and not be noticed? I would have thought a folded back NATO would be tough.

According to google, watches with straps are the easiest?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Of course, and the ALR has international reach so is an effective one.

I could do with some specific details by dm, perhaps :

Victim's full name and contact details, with permission for the Registers to contact him if more info needed.
    Description of incident.
    Location, date and time.
    Details of police force / station dealing with it.
    Crime / report number
    Contact details for specific officers dealing, if possible.

Rolex UK might need direct contact, but I'll pick up on that by dm.

Thanks, H
    Many thanks,
    I’ve messaged him and will give you all the details once I know .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    ^^Could the woman have thrown the watch to one side in the hotel when the phone was being retrieved?
    The phone was in her bag and the contents were strewn across the floor when trying to detain her.
    The watch was very probably in her underwear....

I hope your friend is successful in getting his watch back.

Journeyman
    Couple of things.

It’s very easy for some to say they wouldn’t be letting the woman go. In reality, how do you think the local populace are going to react to a foreign man pinning down a local woman? Could escalate pretty quickly I would imagine, with a chance of getting locked up yourself.

Secondly what happens regarding the insurance of these inflated models? If you only get retail price back, you are never going to be able to replace like for like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by The Journey View Post

It’s very easy for some to say they wouldn’t be letting the woman go. In reality, how do you think the local populace are going to react to a foreign man pinning down a local woman? Could escalate pretty quickly I would imagine, with a chance of getting locked up yourself.

Long before the gendarmes arrive, you’ll be dealing with the chaps she’s working with. I know this from personal (terrifying and non-watch related) experience in Barcelona. Anyone suggesting they’d resolve this sort of situation by force is kidding themselves.

The Paris police will react in exactly the same way they would for a local - no more no less, they are not interested in seeing CCTV footage as they know it's futile. They will issue a crime report for the insurance company. If ever stolen goods are recovered from a fence only then is there a chance the reference number will be checked against the database of items reported stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by The Journey View Post

I'd bet a pound to a cup of cold cocoa she was not a local woman.

Not directly related but a friend of mine who lives in Stratford on Avon was having his regular Saturday brunch with mates at their usual town centre café. A couple of European 'tourists' - a man and woman - came in asking for directions and spread a map on the tourist table. 10 minutes after they had gone on their way he noticed his phone had gone too.

Master
    Bit of an update!
    Looks like the watch has resurfaced at an auction house...
    I wondered if Haywood could cast his eye over this, it would be most useful in how to proceed and confirm the info my friend has been given in being reunited with his watch.

Craftsman
    Bit of an update!
    I wondered if Haywood could cast his eye over this, it would be most useful in how to proceed and confirm the info my friend has been given in being reunited with his watch.
    Sounds like great news, although I suppose it depends what type of auction house and who is the seller. Hopefully the details can be verified and it is a professional outfit, who would be happy to hand the watch to the rightful owner through the appropriate channels. If the friend has been paid out by the insurance co? would the watch not belong to them..

Master
    [QUOTE=If the friend has been paid out by the insurance co? would the watch not belong to them..[/QUOTE]

Yes, that’s also my understanding. He’s speaking to the insurance company tomorrow to clarify.

Good on him for getting his phone back. I would hate to lose that. Especially in a foreign country.
    I don't mean that as a joke. I genuinely would.
    Last edited by Kaffe; 13th April 2021 at 20:17.

Craftsman
    Was approached by a woman outside his hotel after a night out and the usual fuss made and attention.
    'Usual fuss and attention'
    Is this a 'Nigerian discussions' -like euphemism?!

Journeyman
    A fellow once held me up for my Submariner but I advised him that as this was a High Demand model, he first had to steal several of my precious-metal Rolexes from the classic collection to develop a theft relationship with me before he would be permitted to walk off with any of the steel sports variants. He stalked of muttering about how that was the last straw and from now on he was stealing nothing but Grand Seikos.

It seems to be all too easy for thieves to be able to open the bracelet on watches. I wonder what the most secure type of strap would be. One that is more likely to be felt by the wearer as it is being removed. Perhaps a standard buckle on leather or rubber? Something that requires more effort than just clicking and opening.

Quote Originally Posted by bitt3n View Post
    A fellow once held me up for my Submariner but I advised him that as this was a High Demand model, he first had to steal several of my precious-metal Rolexes from the classic collection to develop a theft relationship with me before he would be permitted to walk off with any of the steel sports variants. He stalked of muttering about how that was the last straw and from now on he was stealing nothing but Grand Seikos.

Now, that IS funny:-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brauner Hund View Post
    'Usual fuss and attention'
    Is this a 'Nigerian discussions' -like euphemism?!
    (Ugandan.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    It seems to be all too easy for thieves to be able to open the bracelet on watches. I wonder what the most secure type of strap would be. One that is more likely to be felt by the wearer as it is being removed. Perhaps a standard buckle on leather or rubber? Something that requires more effort than just clicking and opening.
    I think I recall some analysis at the time of GWB’s watch theft to the effect that the thief grips the wrist tightly in advance, the victim thereafter being somewhat desensitised to the removal of the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I think I recall some analysis at the time of GWB’s watch theft to the effect that the thief grips the wrist tightly in advance, the victim thereafter being somewhat desensitised to the removal of the watch.
    At which point my other non-gripped wrist would be swiftly engaging its clenched hand to the jaw of the thief, while the still-free knee of the autonomous left leg would be conducting a rapid upward motion to the groin of the wrist gripper.

At least that’s how I imagine it. I’m sure the reality would be very different and I’d just about manage to dial the number of my insurance company... after a couple of stiff brandies.

Master
    A while ago, a BBC documentary featured British Transport Police's unit specialised in targeting pickpockets, with several CCTV clips showing watches being stolen from people's wrists. The police said you'd never know about being pickpocketed because the thieves are well-trained. Allegedly, some have graduated from a 'pickpocketing university' with a syllabus that includes stealing a watch from someone's wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabondish.com
    It’s comforting to know that even pickpockets know the value of a good education.

The School of the Seven Bells is a legendary, possibly apocryphal, and deliciously plausible school, said to be based in Columbia. Pickpocketing is largely a skilled combination of timing, and distraction, but South American pickpockets are particularly notorious.

There is, of course, an exam. Thieves-to-be are faced with a mannequin (or even a teacher) in a man’s suit, strewn with pockets, and rigged up with seven strategically-placed bells. They must pick the mark clean, without ringing a single bell.

The story changes with each telling: one version has it that the ”˜diploma’ consists of a fake passport to the United States, and entry into one of the major American city crime gangs. The school may have closed, or even moved to Canada. Whatever the truth, the legend won’t die.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    (Ugandan.)
    Damn, you're right! 😊
    (I'm sure the muddle in my head would be a huge Woke-fail!😳)

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    A while ago, a BBC documentary featured British Transport Police's unit specialised in targeting pickpockets, with several CCTV clips showing watches being stolen from people's wrists. The police said you'd never know about being pickpocketed because the thieves are well-trained. Allegedly, some have graduated from a 'pickpocketing university' with a syllabus that includes stealing a watch from someone's wrist.
    I saw the same show, really interesting. They're only in London for a day or two then off with EasyJet to Barcelona for a few days then Rome after. They don't hang about and sometimes aren't even in the city for 24 hours. For a bunch of thieves they have serious work ethic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    (Ugandan.)
    No on both counts.
    Approached and distracted standing directly outside the hotel from door. When she became too close my friend noticed her “ handler” standing close by.
    When realising what had happened the woman was then grabbed and basically thrown into the lobby while my friend kept one eye on her guy.
    Anyone telling themselves they would kung fu anyone who attempted this tactic on them is living in a fantasy land.
    My friend can handle himself and has had to on many occasions while traveling the world.

Master
    Bit of an update!
    Yes, I was contacted on Monday 12th to confirm that the LV had been "located," but I was just darting to Anglesey to enjoy our first few days at the coast for a while.

Back at my desk with all my records now, I have responded and suggested that the ALR get what answers they need from the victim, but invited them to revert to me if needed. Have they requested some sort of recovery fee? Perhaps best to email me.

It does demonstrate that watches often do turn up, albeit years later, but only if you record your case number(s) and in the event of loss make every effort to get them well recorded and shared as widely as possible.

H

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Yes, I was contacted on Monday 12th to confirm that the LV had been "located," but I was just darting to Anglesey to enjoy our first few days at the coast for a while.

Back at my desk with all my records now, I have responded and suggested that the ALR get what answers they need from the victim, but invited them to revert to me if needed. Have they requested some sort of recovery fee? Perhaps best to email me.

It does demonstrate that watches often do turn up, albeit years later, but only if you record your case number(s) and in the event of loss make every effort to get them well recorded and shared as widely as possible.

H
    Thank you for your reply, it’s much appreciated.
    Yes the recovery fee is something I wanted to ask about.
    I’ll forward the email to you.

Journeyman
    This is abhorrent.

How clued up on watches are these thieves?

I know wearing a Rolex in a city setting is painting a target on your back, but what about an A Lange?