closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Movement damage, what might it be?

Master

Movement damage, what might it be?

There's a black bay bronze cheapish on eBay. Quite cheap until you read it's a non runner. Factor in a full service and it's still a little cheap but if the damage is more than a service to sort it's probably not a good deal if it goes much higher. I messaged the seller for clues on why it stopped and it's symptoms and got a swift reply.

I’ve taken it to two different repairers which suggested a full service based on what they inspected (however I do not think they opened the caseback).

I accidentally knocked it while moving some equipment at a conference but I can’t be sure as it did stop, I wound it, it came back to life but then died fully a few days later.

When setting the hour / minute hands move when the crown is up. It’s the second hand that has no movement.

There’s a crunching feel when winding. Nothing juggling around.

So I'm no expert but maybe something knocked out of place, possibly an easy repair for rolex or an independent but what do you think?

Sounds somewhat fu broken, can you post the link?
    Ah now seen it, odd that the watch repairers haven't had the back off, as such it could be just about anything though water ingress came to mind as did damage via the crown stem.
    Last edited by number2; 25th June 2019 at 09:49.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I also saw this. I wonder if Tudor would sort it out under warranty as it must be just outside.

Why should they? It’s been damaged.

Master
    If I was too bid on it I'll decide an amount assuming I pay for repairs. I'd Tudor decide there is a fault and subsidise the repair then lucky me. If the repair turns out more significant and costly then unlucky me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Why should they? It’s been damaged.
    I've found most brands will be flexible and it's a possibility. I have experience from Tudor/Rolex, Omega and Breitling providing excellent customer service above and beyond what could be expected.

Master
    Is it an eta in these?

Could be the hacking lever has come adrift and the noise when winding is just the mainspring slipping inside the barrel as it’s obviously fully wound.

Master
    Good question.... I had assumed it was the new in-house movement, but I'm not sure when that started. If it's an ETA then a decent indy repairer could probably deal with it and for less than £550 that Tudor would charge.

Master
    Yep, quick Google and the bronze bay was introduced in 2016 with the Tudor MT5601 movement.

Master
    Haha! Just took another look at the ebay listing and one of the photos is the case back where it says, 'Tudor manufacture calibre MT5601'

Having lived with one for a couple of years, I'd think it ought to be pretty difficult to damage the movement either from the crown or by impact without any abuse (in the best sense of the word) being obvious. Mine has not been babied by any means and remains silky smooth in function despite a few knocks. The case and crystal is holding up pretty well too. I generally look at BBB threads when I see them and have not seen any complaining of movement fragility (bezel corrosion yes).

It's a basic, hacking, auto 3-hander with no date all said and done; so should be idiot proof. Assuming case etc does not show obvious damage, I would buy it right and be asking Tudor to help but maybe not offer that you have acquired a non-runner. I would be disappointed if they shrugged and dismissed but even if they do, I can't see it being a show stopper repair.

Nice watch to have and keep for the long haul IMO

Master
    Are Tudor in house caliber spares available to 3rd parties? I don't think they are, so whilst it is a basic movement, if any part needs replacing you'll still need to send it back for servicing.

Master
    i suspect you are right mrBanks, although i am not 100% sure.

Master
    Was it someone here that got it? I was 2nd highest bidder. Happy to miss out....it went at £1445 so a couple of hundred saving even after a tudor service, so long as there isn't further hidden cost but given the risk and effort it would have been of little gain to go higher.

Fingers crossed for who ever bought it.