closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 126603 Sea Dweller

Craftsman

126603 Sea Dweller

Has the latest incarnation of the Sea Dweller failed to connect with buyers?

Looking around over the past few weeks quite a number are starting to hit the grey market as is usual these days and the inevitable profiteering but are certainly not flying off the shelf. Does not appear to be a great deal of chatter on this model which was released with a fair amount of coverage.

Is it simply because steel is the current must have or has Rolex made a mistake in believing there was an appetite for a bi colour sea dweller, personally I think that it is the later.

Nothing surprising or worth losing sleep over. Popularity is inline with two tone sports models. Just because it says SD on the dial, it doesn’t have to fly off the shelves.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just my opinion, the media pictures look amazing, in the flesh it’s big, brash and garish.
    I compared it side by side with a 42mm white face Explorer II at half the price. No contest. Give me an Exp II Anyday.

Master
    I hate it! And I'm a massive SeaDweller fan.

Brash, gaudy, big and all tool-watchiness gone.

Even the staff at my local AD hated it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Nothing surprising or worth losing sleep over. Popularity is inline with two tone sports models. Just because it says SD on the dial, it doesn’t have to fly off the shelves.
    The only TT I would buy is the Rootbeer. Though the TT Yacht-master is rather pretty.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 25th June 2019 at 07:46.

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    I hate it! And I'm a massive SeaDweller fan.

Brash, gaudy, big and all tool-watchiness gone.

Even the staff at my local AD hated it.
    I have yet to see it in person but looks like what I would expect a 43mm SD in two tone to look like from the pictures.
    But your opinion does carry some weight with me. Will have to check it out in person.
    I doubt if Rolex ever thought it was going to be highly sought after. For them it is a worthwhile variant but not a top seller.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    The only TT I would buy is the Rootbeer.
    Agree. Not a fan of TT in Sub/SD line but GMTs look good in TT.

Master
    I had the 5 digit TT Black Sub for a while. I loved the dial but always found the bracelet too shouty. The first thing I'd do with the TT Seadweller is put it on whatever Everest or RubberB are offering to de-bling it. I imagine then it would look pretty good.

42mm white gold Yachtmaster all day long for my money.

Journeyman
    I do feel like brands are trying to push TT watches as the next big trend, rather than consumers actually demanding them

Most attempts at dressy tool watches are a fail for me personally

I agree with the general consensus - the 40mm 2-tones are a bit loud for me, never mind anything larger. Its probably more popular in less conservative markets than the UK

Having said that, the bluesy Submariner was the first to attract me to the brand, and its beautiful to look at - I just don't have the guts to buy/wear one.

Craftsman
    A guy who regularly goes to the same restaurant as me got one a few weeks back. I don't mind it to be honest. Didn't find it offensive and quite liked it. But I do have a CHNR

Next Basel, the TT Explorers (I and II) will be announced...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    I had the 5 digit TT Black Sub for a while. I loved the dial but always found the bracelet too shouty. The first thing I'd do with the TT Seadweller is put it on whatever Everest or RubberB are offering to de-bling it. I imagine then it would look pretty good.
    Yes, my sentiments exactly.

Love the SD and wear it more than anything else. But my God, the 126603 is a horror. What next, diamond encrusted fins?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    42mm white gold Yachtmaster all day long for my money.
    These are growing on me a lot too. Would like to try one on for size.

Master
    Whilst I havent seen one in the flesh, I dont see why they have been so badly received. I just think of it as a TT sub for the bigger-wristed amongst us.

Master
    As an existing TT owner, I rather like it but is does seem rather incongruous.

Wonder how a TT DSSD would be received?

Apprentice
    An entirely made up proportion of 90% of Rolex buyers buy a Rolex because they want a Rolex. The fact that it's an accurate, tough, well-made watch that will survive any environment you can survive in (and several that you can't) is entirely beside the point for most. The TT SD43, with it's large case and bezel, cyclops and lashings of gold absolutely screams ROLEX!!! Which will be more than enough to see them all find a home.

Craftsman
    The 6 digit watches are just too big and cumbersome

Apprentice
    I simply believe that that coupling steel and gold on the Rolex's king of depths was not the smartest move ever.
    The SD has always been the dive watch for purists and now the market is not appreciating this hybrid.

I personally like it but, as owner of the standard steel one, I would never buy it.

Craftsman
    Too big, the 40mm watches are far better sizedl

It leaves me absolutely cold.
    Presumably someone likes it, or at least the greys are trying to convince people there are some who like it.

RRP £12.4k
    UK aftermarket advertising at £16k.

Craftsman

Convince

Quote Originally Posted by nickg View Post
    It leaves me absolutely cold.
    Presumably someone likes it, or at least the greys are trying to convince people there are some who like it.

RRP £12.4k
    UK aftermarket advertising at £16k.
    I think trying to convince is correct. Price the item high to make it appear that it is a hot item and look to fool a few folk into paying the absurd markup. Must work for the greys as they are still in business and doing what appears to be good trade for them if certainly not their buyers.

Journeyman
    I wouldn't mind trying on a Bluesy SD43 if Rolex were to make one. What's stopping me from getting a Sub Bluesy is the size and the supercase.

I already own a SS SD43 and I think a Bluesy iteration would be a nice dressier alternative. Yes, it'd be a bit gaudy, not going to lie, and my first TT in fact. I've always preferred understated pieces but could make an exception. Gold and blue go well together.

Master
    Just seen one of these in the window in a AD here in Zagreb. Looked better than I expected.

Master
    Tried one on a month or so ago. Really didn't like it at all. Cyclops ruins it and the gold really doesn't suit it.

Craftsman
    If you build it, they will come.

Current stock
    Explorer ll. Never been caving.
    GMT ll. Never flown a plane.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Tried on the TT SD43 and I thought it wonderful, but the watch wasn't for sale.

Wasn't impressed by photos of it but in the flesh it just works, in my opinion.

Wouldn't mind swapping out my SS SD43 for a TT.

Apprentice
    I have to say I had no love for the TT SD43 until my AD forced me to look at it. He knows it's not my normal thing. But he done right to do that cause in real life it is so much better than pics.

Don't knock it until you get to try it on.

Master
    Right now today, the TT look is way out of fashion, too 1980s for comfort.

However fashions change, so you never know, the TT may once again be the thing to have.

Craftsman

Buy it

Quote Originally Posted by ninjin View Post
    I have to say I had no love for the TT SD43 until my AD forced me to look at it. He knows it's not my normal thing. But he done right to do that cause in real life it is so much better than pics.

Don't knock it until you get to try it on.

Did you buy it?

Craftsman

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Right now today, the TT look is way out of fashion, too 1980s for comfort.

However fashions change, so you never know, the TT may once again be the thing to have.

Agreed. Nothing two tone is taking the market by storm and with the dominance of all steel or all gold, I cannot see two tone having much desirability for any serious watch buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Agreed. Nothing two tone is taking the market by storm and with the dominance of all steel or all gold, I cannot see two tone having much desirability for any serious watch buyer.
    Market and dominance are not considerations for a serious watch buyer. In fact he scoffs at these.

Master
    Im a serious watch buyer and i love my TT subC

Craftsman

Sets the course

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Market and dominance are not considerations for a serious watch buyer. In fact he scoffs at these.

I would respectfully disagree with you on that point, it is buyers who are currently steering the market with there wish to wear all steel or all gold especially in the mid to high tier categories, those are the combinations which watch buyers are viewing as desirable and in demand, with two tone being less so.

I would respectfully disagree with you on that point, it is buyers who are currently steering the market with there wish to wear all steel or all gold especially in the mid to high tier categories, those are the combinations which watch buyers are viewing as desirable and in demand, with two tone being less so.
    These are casual buyers or band wagoners, not ‘serious buyers’. As I understand the term. Serious as in intent to buy or serious about watches?

Master
    For me TT watches come across as an old man's watch worn by people who don't quite have the funds to go all gold. Sort of senior manager rather than director type. Member of the golf club, but not the country club.

They are neither one thing or the other. Hence I guess the appeal for some, but not me.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    For me TT watches come across as an old man's watch worn by people who don't quite have the funds to go all gold. Sort of senior manager rather than director type. Member of the golf club, but not the country club.

They are neither one thing or the other. Hence I guess the appeal for some, but not me.
    As usual we can always rely on you for a nuanced and a balanced view...................not:-)

Apprentice
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by ninjin View Post
    Yes
    Yes what? We have no bananas!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Yes what? We have no bananas!
    Yes:-)

Apprentice
    The way this hybrid view works is a PITA. The question was, did I buy it.....

:)

Love seadwellers but this looks off to me, and i am partial to a root beer..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk