closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stealth Wealth Watch Brand

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    A friend asked me to define a watch brand that would command respect among collectors but not display an image of excessive wealth that comes with the more expensive/exclusive Swiss brands. Perhaps an IWC, JLC, A.Lange & Sohne or Grand Seiko may fit the bill, any suggestions would be welcome please.

Thanks,

Terry
    Any SS Professional Series Rolex bought as a "walk-in" at RRP within the next decade, PPN within the next century. An Omega SE or LE if they only actually did it once and truly was.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Why not wear a Casio.

Everyone, who is not a WIS, will assume it is a cheap watch but you could be wearing a really expensive watch.

Take Casio's MRG line, it was always the top model in their line up but in 2007 they switched to it being an all analogue watch, pushed the quality up even further, using hardened titanium plus DLC and Zaratsu polishing etc. The Zaratsu polishing is contracted out to the same factory that does the Zaratsu polishing for Grand Seiko.

The quality is absolutely fantastic which you can only appreciate when in hand.

You can get this one currently a watch that is will be unique due to the slight differences in the 'hammer' craft that was used on the model, hand craftsmanship and expensive.

"Casio calls this hammer-beaten-metal technique “tsu-i-ki,” and it has been used in various types of Japanese traditional craft as well as in similar forms elsewhere. The work is done in Kyoto, Japan, by metalwork craftsman Mr. Bihou Asano. Beating metal with a small hammer is among the only ways to get it shaped in particular ways without stamping or machining – so we even see it today in custom car creation. The intentionally organic look of the beaten metal is interesting, and overall, the titanium and copper alloy watch has a unique mixture of modern looks with a sort of aged appeal."

Of course the watch will cost about £6000 and there you have the ultimate stealth watch, a watch that 'everybody' knows is dirt cheap but actually isn't.

Mitch
    For what it is, fabulous.

Whether it would command respect in WIS circles is another question.

All theoretical for me though. I don't qualify as I wear my baseball cap with the peak at the front

However, given the annual unit production numbers below (source unknown but seem about right, borrowed from WUS), I think it is a question of the sort of respect you wish to engender in other WIS . . . .

Tissot >2,000,000
    Rolex 1,000,000
    Omega ~700,000
    Tag Heuer 700,000
    Longines 500,000
    Baume & Mercier 200,000
    Breitling 110,000-290,000
    Cartier ~100,000 (based on 700 million pieces averaging 7000 dollars each)
    Panerai ~70,000
    PP 40,000
    JLC 35,000
    IWC 30,000
    AP 26,000
    VC 20,000
    Piaget 20,000
    Breguet 17,000
    Glashutte Original <10,000
    A Lange S 2,000
    H Moser 1,500
    F P Journe 600
    Moritz Grossmann 400
    D Dornblüth 200

I would have thought that he sort of person really wanting to do "stealth wealth" is possibly going to be attracted to the lower end of the scale.
    Last edited by Yokel; 27th June 2019 at 15:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
    It has to be this watch. I visited my local Rolex AD last week to send my watch in for a service.

I spoke to the new manager who had only started a couple of weeks previous. When mentioning that I only wanted a very light polish, she said that there was nothing to worry about because the watch is "stainless steel Sir".

This was after examining my watch for a couple of minutes. Her colleagues were in fits of laughter and I thought that you can't get more stealth than this.
    One of the most recognisable watches on the planet - how is that supposed to be "stealth"?

I favour this - it looks old and crappy and small.

Since when was a 116719BLRO one of the most recognisable watches on the planet? If the manager of a Rolex AD couldn't recognise it then "Stealth" it is.

[QUOTE=Holsterman;5135088]One of the most recognisable watches on the planet - how is that supposed to be "stealth"?

Since when was a 116719BLRO one of the most recognisable watches on the planet? If the manager of a Rolex AD couldn't recognise it then "Stealth" it is.
    It's a Rolex GMT, you can spot the bezel from 20 paces, and the Oyster bracelet, and the cyclops. If ever there was a watch which screams "ROLEX!!!!", it's this one.

Woo-hoo, it's white gold, that'll throw them off the scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    It's a Rolex GMT, you can spot the bezel from 20 paces, and the Oyster bracelet, and the cyclops. If ever there was a watch which screams "ROLEX!!!!", it's this one.

Woo-hoo, it's white gold, that'll throw them off the scent.
    Wind your neck in mate. This thread is supposed to be a bit of fun

Wow, anger management issues.

You wouldn't let it lie

Nice IWC by the way

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

It’s supposed to be about stealthy watch brands not models.

This would be a good moment to hush

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Vintage Heuer?
    I’ve owned a few so that’s anno I’m afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    It’s supposed to be about stealthy watch brands not models.
    Er, yes that's what I thought as well.

Not meaning to upset anyone, but why the anger?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    This would be a good moment to hush

Why?

Let's start again

Er, yes that's what I thought as well.

Not meaning to upset anyone, but why the anger?

- - - Updated - - -

Why?
    There's no anger, there's just you ruining a light hearted thread with pointless belligerence.

Stealth Wealth Watch Brand

As been mentioned earlier in the thread: Dormblüth?

Last edited by colin t; 27th June 2019 at 19:51.

You should try Bremont. Even if a villain recognises it, he won't want to steal it 😈
    Gray

Journeyman
    I'd agree with Grand Seiko. Because, for better or worse it's associated with Seiko and most people think cheap shopping centre watches when they think Seiko. Long may it last, I'm slowly honing down my longlist and GS is featured.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    Panerai radiomir.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Chopard LUC would seem to fit the bill very nicely.

Master
    I used to work in a sector where you'd be talking to a CEO one minute and then someone who has literally just the clothes on there back in life the next.

A stealth watch would have been nice for me when I was in the role, not to impress the few who knew but for safety, both my speedy and my g-shocks would attract lots of attention so I ended up with a Seiko 5 on a NATO which seemed to slip under the radar.

Now I do some voluntary work occasionally and that is holding me back from a custard dial, as it would portray the wrong image to the client base. I'm not one for changing my watches I'll wear the same one for months at a time.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Smiths.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    For what it is, fabulous.

Whether it would command respect in WIS circles is another question.

All theoretical for me though. I don't qualify as I wear my baseball cap with the peak at the front

However, given the annual unit production numbers below (source unknown but seem about right, borrowed from WUS), I think it is a question of the sort of respect you wish to engender in other WIS . . . .

Tissot >2,000,000
    Rolex 1,000,000
    Omega ~700,000
    Tag Heuer 700,000
    Longines 500,000
    Baume & Mercier 200,000
    Breitling 110,000-290,000
    Cartier ~100,000 (based on 700 million pieces averaging 7000 dollars each)
    Panerai ~70,000
    PP 40,000
    JLC 35,000
    IWC 30,000
    AP 26,000
    VC 20,000
    Piaget 20,000
    Breguet 17,000
    Glashutte Original <10,000
    A Lange S 2,000
    H Moser 1,500
    F P Journe 600
    Moritz Grossmann 400
    D Dornblüth 200

I would have thought that he sort of person really wanting to do "stealth wealth" is possibly going to be attracted to the lower end of the scale.
    That’s absolutely fascinating, I don’t understand the Cartier figures though .
    Panerai have come a long way in a short time . I thought Franck Muller would be in there somewhere, but stealth isn’t his thing .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    There's no anger, there's just you ruining a light hearted thread with pointless belligerence.
    Not even slightly, but hey, have it your way if you like.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    That’s absolutely fascinating, I don’t understand the Cartier figures though .
    Panerai have come a long way in a short time . I thought Franck Muller would be in there somewhere, but stealth isn’t his thing .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I think the Cartier figure (I copied verbatim from WUS) is dividing their sales turnover by the presumed average price, and that the original author “misspoke”.

Also, the list is definitely not comprehensive. Many brands are missing.

I have to admit that, because it’s my area of interest, I added the last four to the list on the basis of my own research (of which I am fairly confident).

HTH

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    You're not alone. Ever since I handled one at Salon QP, I wanted one.
    Definitely not alone.

One of the few genuinely original ideas around.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

The only time you should give a monkey's left testicle about what other people think about your watch, is when those people are likely to be coveting it nefariously and planning to part you from it using a machete if necessary.

If you're wearing a watch to portray an image (whatever that may be), then you should work on your self assuredness. If something makes you smile and hurts no-one else, go for it. If it's all about the image you portray, then I'm afraid I think that's rather shallow.

I think most non-steel vintage watches are pretty stealthy, PP and Vacheron in particular.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I was recently corresponding with Soren Petersen the CEO of Urban Jorgensen and discussed production numbers.

Since 1982 (the start of the brand) production has been about 1000 watches. Thats about 27 watches a year.

You dont get much more under the radar than that.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    The only time you should give a monkey's left testicle about what other people think about your watch, is when those people are likely to be coveting it nefariously and planning to part you from it using a machete if necessary.

If you're wearing a watch to portray an image (whatever that may be), then you should work on your self assuredness. If something makes you smile and hurts no-one else, go for it. If it's all about the image you portray, then I'm afraid I think that's rather shallow.
    My thoughts precisely. People get too bent out of shape thinking about this things. You are not making a sly attack on an enemy that you have to think about flying under the radar, whatever that means. You like it, you wear it. Your choice shouldn’t be dictated by whether someone will notice it or what they will think if they notice it.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    My thoughts precisely. People get too bent out of shape thinking about this things. You are not making a sly attack on an enemy that you have to think about flying under the radar, whatever that means. You like it, you wear it. Your choice shouldn’t be dictated by whether someone will notice it or what they will think if they notice it.
    They might divorce you.

They might divorce you.
    Ah.
    Now there you may have a point.

( My greatest fear is that, should I pass before my wife does, that she'll sell my collection for what I told her it cost me! )

Edit to add...
    Thinking about it, divorce is when someone is coveting your watch(es) nefariously and planning to part you from them using a machete if possible!
    Last edited by mikeveal; 28th June 2019 at 15:27.

Ah.
    Now there you may have a point.

( My greatest fear is that, should I pass before my wife does, that she'll sell my collection for what I told her it cost me! )
    Don't worry you won't know.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Let's start again

Love that.

Master

How about 5 grand for a non-Grand Seiko?

Master
    They might divorce you.
    I couldn’t understand why my partner seemed to have an amazing knowledge of my watch activities and interests. Then I found that searches I made on my I-pad appeared on hers too. Not ideal, and she’d never said a word.

Journeyman

I used to buy and sell trainers to make a bit of cash at uni. I obviously kept a few for myself as well. I came home and started work and, like most people that age, I owed my mum and dad a few quid. I remember buying some deadstock Reebok Pump Twilight Zone from a collector in Japan for a small fortune. They came through the door and my old man went nuts. I told him they were £15 from TK Maxx (they might have been 50x that). A few days later I found him cutting the grass in them as ‘he couldn’t find the garage key and these were the only cheap shoes he could find in the house’

In retrospect, he knew and was teaching me a lesson. He’s a legend my dad...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ellgal: hehehe great story that one.

Blog Entries

One of the most recognisable watches on the planet - how is that supposed to be "stealth"?
    It's fairly obviously a Rolex, even if the model isn't obvious. A Cellini would probably be more 'stealth'!
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 5th July 2019 at 00:24.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

GS

Agree with the GS suggestiions, especially the old style Grand Seiko, with the Seiko branding. A simple, smaller cased, plain one.

Journeyman
    Nothing says stealth wealth like hiding in plain sight with an Apple watch :D

Platinum 40mm Octa RDM.

Journeyman

A. Lange & Söhne. Only watch people recognise them and know what they’re worth.

Last edited by ekotan; 12th July 2019 at 11:02.

Master
    Second that!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lomax99 View Post
    Second that!

Looks great!

Craftsman
    Second that

Master
    JLC Reverso in gold. Most peeps will assume it's some piece of crap grandad left you and are only wearing for sentimental reasons

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Invicta would fit the bill, IMO.
    I personally think the whole idea of stealth wealth is a little bit BS.
    Expensive but less recognisable or expensive and unnoticed or expensive but recognisable by some but not all are different things.
    It all depends on the persona, how one carries one self and the rest of your ensemble.
    There are plenty of Rolexes outside of Sub/SD that may not be recognised.
    What is the idea behind stealth? To avoid undesirable attention or all attention?
    Is there pleasure to be gained by wearing a 54,000 Credor and have people think you are wearing a $100 watch and having a secret laugh to oneself?
    Wear what you like without giving a thought to what others think. For yourself. For your pleasure.
    No need to play games. Obviously safety should be considered as well as in rare cases appropriateness.
    If you like Credor, sure wear a Credor. Not to hide the fact that you are wearing an expensive watch while getting appreciating glances from WIS.Otherwise just wear a cheap watch, unless you get your jollies just by knowing you are wearing something expensive. Or you want the WIS amongst general public to know you are wearing an expensive watch.
    Yes, there are hundreds of expensive brands/models that average Joe may not appreciate the worth/price of but am not sure why that would be a consideration.
    Any person who is afraid of stepping out in a Rolex/a tasteful but recognisable watch ( safety aside ) should probably not leave his mom’s basement.
    I have 5 Rolex and the one I enjoy wearing the most is the 1655 Explorer11. Even ADs don't notice it.

Master
    Is it any different to numerous other items we own? Some people choose ‘flash’ clothes and similarly exhibitionist cars/ jewellery / boats/ holidays; houses, everything really.
    Others like discretion and fly under the radar. It was always thus.

Love the Langes and Reverso.

Philippe Dufour Simplicity.

D