closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 40th birthday watch (1979; £2k)

40th birthday watch (1979; £2k)

Hello chaps

Just had this message from my little brother:

"I’m looking to buy a watch for my 40th. Got about £1500-£2k to spend.

Open to any suggestions from vintage to new, but I’m leaning towards a new watch from a non-traditions source such as a Japanese maker or German maker.

Doesn’t have to be Swiss

What thoughts from you guys?

Thanks"

I replied:

"Nomos.  German, all in-house movements, lots of really nice models, scandinavian-style design. Only downside is poor residuals but if it's a keeper that shouldn't matter. £2k could also buy you a nice birth-year watch although 1979 is the cusp of the quartz revolution. You might get a Speedmaster for that, a real classic."

But what say ye?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Rev-O; 24th June 2019 at 18:10.

There was a thread posted a few days ago for Stowa, which has a sale on a few models. May be worth a look.

Grand seiko quartz GMT would be where I'd go. 2.9 new but discount available. One went on SC for £1,810. If only they had micro adjustable clasps I would have one.

Or if he has fat meat wrists like me the MM300 is a great watch, but not so good for work shirts depending on what he does for a living.

Thanks chaps.

What kind of price does a 1979 Speedie go for?

It might stretch the budget, but a 1979 oysterquartz would be great to buy before prices rise

Past sells on eBay you mite have to ad more to that budget. The Speedy MKII you mite keep in your budget I did that but was never happy so sold it and paid up for that speedy. That's US prices mite be more in Europe. Plus the moon landing anniversary coming up in July price mite go up a little due to that so mite be a bad time to buy a speedy.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...0&_stpos=59749
    Last edited by River Rat; 24th June 2019 at 19:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Olives View Post
    It might stretch the budget, but a 1979 oysterquartz would be great to buy before prices rise
    I worry about spares for those.

How serviceable are they?

Cheers

Maybe a Omega Speedmaster reduced the used marked is in your price range. It's a bit smaller with a automatic movement but looks like a Omega Speedmaster.
    https://www.fratellowatches.com/spee...aster-reduced/

A watchrecon search
    https://www.watchrecon.com/?query=Om...master+reduced
    Last edited by River Rat; 25th June 2019 at 00:11.

Master
    Rolex are a bit overpriced at the moment for that sort of budget; Omega are (IMO) better value. I'd look for a nice used Seamaster; personally, I'd take a 2234/54/64 with the sword hands, maybe a titanium version if I could find one, and get a good service and refinish done, if needed. Great all-round watch to wear and use with fantastic lume. The skeleton hand Bond versions have their fans, too. Should be a good long-term option which holds its value well. The sword hands in particular have tended to appreciate the last few years.