closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you trade a Hulk with a 5 digit Rolex Pepsi?

Blog Entries

Would you trade a Hulk with a 5 digit Rolex Pepsi?

Afternoon all, after the thoughts of the collective wisdom. I have a mint, full set 2013 Hulk sitting in the collection but has had next to no wear this year (in fact over the last 2 years its probably been worn a handful of time due to putting in storage during house renovations). I've always hankered for a Pepsi (non-maxi case) and something i imagine will get worn alot more than the Hulk so i've come to think the time is now right to let the Hulk go and was thinking a for trade or swap deal would be potentially the easiest way to achieve this. Question to the crowd, with prices of the Hulk rocketing (likewise the Pepsi i guess) would you do it? I'm out of touch with where Pepsi prices have gone recently, what does a used Hulk (albeit it in excellent condition) equate to in terms of GMT's these days? Any variants to look out for? My only requirements are Pepsi dial, tritium dial and jubilee bracelet - everything else open to suggestion. I don't want to add any money to the deal so would need to be a straight swap or cheaper Pepsi plus cash my way.

Thanks in advance.

Master
    This is so subjective that it is impossible to provide a sensible suggestion.

It is like asking what fish should I pull out of the water when I go fishing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a Hulk, I’ve never worn it apart from trying it on, stickers on and stashed away in its box. I also have a 5 digit LV which I wear fairly often as it is IMO a nicer shape, size and weight. Ultimately I think the LV-C will go, I like looking at it but whenever I have tried to convince myself to start wearing it I find a reason not to. I have had many conversations with myself about selling it or trading it, usually with the objective a non-maxicase Rolex such as a 16710 or TT Daytona.
    If you won’t be too out of pocket, I would trade it, which is easy for me to say as long as I don’t need to lead by example.

Master
    What's more important to you. The value of the watch, or enjoying the watch?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    What's more important to you. The value of the watch, or enjoying the watch?
    Enjoying the watch most definitely, saying that the price of the Hulk is certainly a factor but only in so far as that plus its condition almost puts me off wearing it. An older watch, even at the same price point, doesn't feel as precious if that makes sense. But then my OCD means if i wear a new watch and put a mark on it my day/week is wrecked. I have a GMT root beer which i wear alot, i purchased it with battle scars and it liberated me in that respect.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I go through days where I find the ceramics too shiny!! Depends on the mood im in. I really hope the next gen of Subs they go Matt

In saying that I miss my old Hulk and sold it for something daft to a follow TZer before things went crazy (if anybody decides to sell a minter let me know lol)

If you think you are more likely to wear the Pepsi, go ahead. Most here swear by 16710 as the ultimate in Rolex GMT.
    You would be looking for a pre 1996 model if you prefer T dial. Prices are all over the place depending on a host of factors but there should be cash coming your way.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Personally I wouldn't, in fact I swapped my Pepsi for a hulk.
    That said, despite a few attempts I just don't get on with the size of the gmt. If feels small and light and I prefer something heftier.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you want a change, go for it.
    I think you can expect a few quid your way in the deal too.

I had a 16610LV and sold it last year. I recently picked up a Hulk and straight away yearned for the classic Submariner dimensions. It got traded against a mint 2012 14060M and I couldn't be happier. Much prefer the 5 digit case, weight and feel.

Only you can really decide though

If it was me I would hold onto the Hulk until at least Baselworld next year. When the current Submariner lineup is discontinued (who knows when?), prices will suddenly go through the roof for the Hulk.

I'm not a fan of the 16710 GMTII, and much prefer the Explorer II's, so possibly not with asking me - but I'd keep the LVc.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Putting costs aside I personally love the Hulk to much therefore I’d keep it and try to get a Pepsi alongside it.

Would you aim to wear the Pepsi if you got it?

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    If you think you are more likely to wear the Pepsi, go ahead. Most here swear by 16710 as the ultimate in Rolex GMT.
    You would be looking for a pre 1996 model if you prefer T dial. Prices are all over the place depending on a host of factors but there should be cash coming your way.
    I believe you’re a couple of years out there Raj. They switched to luminova in 1998 before going superluminova in 2000. There are certainly 1997 tritium dials and no doubt later 97 ones which weren’t sold until 98.

Personally, I’m not a fan of either the hulk or Kermit but I’d have thought you could easily get a 16710 on an oyster with plenty of change for a jubilee too (and the other two bezel inserts) for what your hulk is currently worth.

Apprentice
    Subjectively, I'm biased as I own an LVc, wear it and love it.

In your position I'd sooner sell and buy in separate transactions. Yes it might be a bit more hassle but, like with car sales and purchases, I prefer to be able to cleanly negotiate each transaction separately. Plus having to find someone willing to take your LVc at a reasonable price who also has a GMT you want at a reasonable price reduces the pool of people you can do business with.

Craftsman
    Would you wear the pepsi or would it become another unworn rolex

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Coming back to this i've just been chattin to a dealer who has an unbelievable 16710, from early 90's with creamy plots, matching hands, faded pepsi insert, box and papers and recent 'service'. It's exactly what i want, and they offered to do a straight swap for my mint 2013 Hulk. I've lost track of where fair value is these days, do you think this sounds like a decent deal? They say there may be some wriggle room, i was thinking of asking then to chuck in a period correct oyster bracelet to sweeten the deal.

Thoughts?

If a dealer offers you straight swap then it is probably still worth it for him ;) honestly I had 3x 16710 and eventually ended up selling them all, it would have to be a minty example for me to consider it and for it to be worthy (minty as in barely worn original not minty as in polished during service), I believe the tritium 16710s are not as desireable as the later luminova SELs so I think it would still be a bad trade.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
    If a dealer offers you straight swap then it is probably still worth it for him ;) honestly I had 3x 16710 and eventually ended up selling them all, it would have to be a minty example for me to consider it and for it to be worthy (minty as in barely worn original not minty as in polished during service), I believe the tritium 16710s are not as desireable as the later luminova SELs so I think it would still be a bad trade.
    Thanks, fully expecting there to be something in it for the dealer but just want make sure i'm taking a complete bath on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Thanks, fully expecting there to be something in it for the dealer but just want make sure i'm taking a complete bath on it.
    Do you have photos by any chance? Would be easier to help, I personally dont find glossy dial on pepsis with with patina appealing at all.

Apprentice
    Best thing to do is to research the prices of both on Chrono24 (or even WF!). I think you’d end up with a surplus of cash if you traded. But really your choice as to whether you prefer a 16710 plus cash over a Hulk that has been appreciating rapidly over the last year or so.

Which begs the question of where Hulk prices will go. Not down by much IMO but they may even go up a bit more. Suppose Rolex discontinued?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it is in the ball park and if all original sounds like a great watch. Also depends on what value you put on your Hulk. Would certainly recommend wrangling in a correct bracelet.
    After working in a bracelet, there might be a $1000 or so shortfall IMO but the prices of vintage Rolex are all over the place. So hard to say with any kind of certainty.
    Good luck going ahead👍

Quote Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
    It is a personal choice. Non tritium 16710 would hold zero interest for me.
    Matte dials are good but the transition occurred before 16710.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 28th August 2019 at 12:50.

No I wouldn’t

Master
    Coming back to this i've just been chattin to a dealer who has an unbelievable 16710, from early 90's with creamy plots, matching hands, faded pepsi insert, box and papers and recent 'service'. It's exactly what i want, and they offered to do a straight swap for my mint 2013 Hulk. I've lost track of where fair value is these days, do you think this sounds like a decent deal? They say there may be some wriggle room, i was thinking of asking then to chuck in a period correct oyster bracelet to sweeten the deal.

Thoughts?
    Crazy deal for you
    Is there not an Oyster bracelet with the watch already or is it on a jubilee?
    The Tritium Pepsi’s are lovely and wouldn’t agree that Luminova with SELs are more valuable-I would argue the opposite but I am biased as have a 16700 trit
    As previously said the watch would need to be seen to assess case,etc.
    I would think the dealer wouldn’t have paid more than 8-9k to buy it in
    Better off selling your Hulk on here and then buy.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I suspect the dealer is doing well out of this swap. Have you emailed WF for a price? I’ll prob get shot down for suggesting it, but it gives you a good starting point.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Thoughts?
    I think if you really want the GMT over the LVC then the numbers are okay if you get the bracelet.
    Buy in price for a 2013 hulk is late 9's/early 10 ish depending on condition.
    Recent TZ sales are putting commensurate GMTs around 8.8 on the private market.
    Add in the oyster and you get what you want. There will be a bit of a hit but who knows how far north good GMT's are going to go.. but then again, don't now what will happen with the LVC.

I think its a case of go with what you're going to wear and enjoy most.
    Last edited by verv; 28th August 2019 at 14:06.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cnjm1 View Post
    I suspect the dealer is doing well out of this swap. Have you emailed WF for a price? I’ll prob get shot down for suggesting it, but it gives you a good starting point.

I’d agree with you as a starting point.

I would also say research on Chrono24 et al on both models to see where values might be.

Logically it might say sell the Hulk yourself and then buy the GMT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I would stick with the hulk , but that's easy for me to say as I haven't owned one , and to me it's one of the rolexes that was instantly want at first sight .

Master
    If you are not wearing the Hulk perhaps its time to let it go and get a watch you will wear.

Regarding the offered trade, I think I would be looking to see what respective values/prices are on WF, and a couple of other trading sites to give you some idea of whether this is an acceptable deal or not. I would also want a complete set of B&P as I imagine you have these for the Hulk.

Blog Entries
    Thanks all for the comments and for the input, always appreciated. I've had a dealer offer for £10k on my Hulk and this particular dealer are asking a quite toppy £10.75k for the Pepsi. To the poster who asked whether it comes on jubilee, yes that's correct. I know the dealer will be making a cut on this trade otherwise they wouldn't offer it and I'm fine with it, so good to know the trade is relatively in the ballpark.

I'll visit them again today to see what deal we may be able to get to. And failing all else I'll at least take some pics and post them here, which I forgot to do yesterday.

I did just that. A full set GMT in unpolished condition would probably be a straight swap with an appropriate price adjustment to reflect anything less than a full set and the condition of the GMT.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I did just that. A full set GMT in unpolished condition would probably be a straight swap with an appropriate price adjustment to reflect anything less than a full set and the condition of the GMT.
    In a nutshell. Best advice so far.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Tony

Master
    I have both the Gmt and LvC and wear both tough choice as I like and wear them both. However saying that theGMT is my default weekend and relaxing watch along with my Z blue.

As I prefer the old five digit watch case I'm biased, sell the Hulk on here then go and bend their arm.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Been back this morning, not as warm and fuzzy feel as yesterday unfortunately, obviously a hot flush yesterday! It's certainly not unmolested but still looks a decent example. I think one of the lugs (top right) has been excessively polished and one of the spring bars is certainly poking close to the case side. It's actually a 16700 and not 16710. Package comes with punched papers, inner and outer box, booklet, service guarantee card from RSC service in 2017.

Here's some pictures i took, sorry for the finger prints and light glare. Let me know what you think.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The pics are a bit grainy to get a good nose.
    Top right lug usually thinner on these, was the bevelling still clear, and was the case sharp or slightly blunted if you run your thumb over bottom edge?
    Also sometimes the spring bars can poke if they're generic shoulderless ones rather than oem, doesn't *necessarily* mean over polishing but it can depending on the above^

I dunno. I like it. Enough positives to overlook the fact that it has been polished.
    You have to like it. Unless prices diverge drastically, Hulk will always remain a easier sell.
    However if you are looking for a five digit GMT, this is a good trade, IMO. Definitely better than the 16750 you were offered in trade, IMO:-)
    Again, let the experts opine of polishing is excessive or not.

for my 2p worth - I think that looks really nice - has that definite vintage feel to it - and the bezel is not all shiny and new - so its a thumbs up from me.

Only you can decide from a financial perspective.

Id get a quote from WF or offer the Hulk uo on here - then cash is king to negotiate on the other?

Top money for hardly top watch, rounded lugs, unevenly cut chamfers, incorrect looking finish on lugs. If you want GMT sell Hulk, you can certainly get better example than this in my opinion.

Craftsman

Would you trade a Hulk with a 5 digit Rolex Pepsi?

Sell hulk then buy GMT. It’s my daily wearer and love it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks again for the latest input, something is nagging at me on this so have decided to sit it out and wait for the right one to come along. The Hulk won't be sold, not when there is the threat of a rumoured price increase and discontinuation.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Rumoured price rise and discontinuation?

Aint that every year lol?

Only kidding - wise to hold on, regret selling mine!

Cheers!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Rumoured price rise and discontinuation?

Aint that every year lol?

Only kidding - wise to hold on, regret selling mine!

Cheers!
    Absolutely, all part of the 'game'

Actually I would. My reasoning is very simple. The Hulk is a Green Faced, Green Dial Rolex sports watch. It's interesting, like a green Ferrari might be, but it's not classic Rolex.

Now I am not suggest it's not nice and I am sure will become a rarity in years to come, but a classic Rolex it is not. A bit like the Polar dialled 16570 or even the later blue or white dialled Milgauss. Both nice, but can be bit marmite.

The Red/Blue Pepsi or Red/Black Coke or Black/Black Subs/SD however are classics dating back nearly 70 odd years.

Horses for courses at the end of the day. Buy and wear what you like and enjoy.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

It would be more hassle, but I’d sell the hulk privately and you’ll get significantly more.
    Then go in and negotiate on the GMT.

You should have a few grand in your pocket after the deal (if done that way)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    It would be more hassle, but I’d sell the hulk privately and you’ll get significantly more.
    Then go in and negotiate on the GMT.

You should have a few grand in your pocket after the deal (if done that way)
    A few grand is maybe optimistic
    A couple I would say.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

Master
    Was thinking of a full set

Hulk without papers would devalue it a bit too I think.