closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which boning knife?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Which boning knife?

Ladies and gents, can anyone recommend a good 6" boning knife?, I am getting fed up with my crap ones blunting quickly, did a Roebuck on Friday and had to stop and sharpen three times, so one that could do the job before needing stropping would be nice!
    cheers

mike

Master
    Blog Entries
    Mike, might be worth asking your local butcher? I reckon they'd know the best stuff to get.

When you say 'did a roebuck' can you clarify what you mean? Some knives will be better for certain tasks than others in game prepping.

Craftsman
    Last post got deleted when I tried to edit it?

https://www.cuttingedgeservices.co.u...e-blade-f-dick

The flexible blade is the one I have and it's been fantastic

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    When you say 'did a roebuck' can you clarify what you mean? Some knives will be better for certain tasks than others in game prepping.
    I think he refers to a roe deer (Capreolus capreolus), called "Capriolo" in Italy and "Roebuck" in Scotland. He probably refers to boning it into manageable pieces to store or cook.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I think he refers to a roe deer (Capreolus capreolus), called "Capriolo" in Italy and "Roebuck" in Scotland. He probably refers to boning it into manageable pieces to store or cook.
    Understood - it would be good to get confirmation as at different stages of the processing certain knives will fare better than others e.g. using a boning knife when cutting through the hide will certainly be brutal on the finer edges typically found on such knives, hence the desire for clarification on what steps exactly the OP is referring to.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Just for clarification I was referring to a boning knife for deboning the primal cuts, I have a swing knife for the field gralloch, a skinning knife for taking the jacket off, and a good saw for the main cuts, I gust need a boning knife for the haunches and ribs.

mike

Steamer trading are closing down and knocking out a load of procook ones
    Some of which are ice hardened to Rockwell 60+ (They do a few ranges)
    They’re cheap too, maybe worth a punt for field work?
    Most butchers seem to favour those yellow handled swibo jobs but they all have a steel close to hand too....
    Last edited by GOAT; 24th June 2019 at 13:47.

No experience with this one, so just a suggestion...OKC 72-6" Boning Knife...and there's also a Fillet Knife.

My SiL has an OKC carving knife that she swears by. As does my brother who also has to sharpen it.

Have a look at the Samprene range from Staniforths - had them for years and they have stood up well.

http://www.s-staniforth.co.uk/55-samprene

I have both the broad and narrow boning knives, the scimitar and the skinner.

Along with a decent cleaver that would cover my butchery needs 99% of the time, though I have to say that I actually prefer my old Buck 103 skinner, simply because it’s what I’m used to.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Steamer trading are closing down and knocking out a load of procook ones
    Some of which are ice hardened to Rockwell 60+ (They do a few ranges)
    They’re cheap too, maybe worth a punt for field work?
    Most butchers seem to favour those yellow handled swibo jobs but they all have a steel close to hand too....
    More knives!!! That’s all I need!

Seriously, thank you

BTW, though I have one of them and see the attraction in them, personally I dislike the Swingblade.

Too many crevices, nooks and crannies for bacteria to hide, IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I am a butcher and have used these at work for 30 years. Dick knives are ok too I just prefer the handle on the victorinox.

I can usually do a forequarter of beef and only have to steel it a couple of times.

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/pr...:1,prmr:1,cs:1
    Last edited by golf; 24th June 2019 at 18:10.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by golf View Post
    I am a butcher and have used these at work for 30 years. Dick knives are ok too I just prefer the handle on the victorinox.

I can usually do a forequarter of beef and only have to steel it a couple of times.

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/pr...:1,prmr:1,cs:1
    That's what my collagues and I used to use when working at a wholesale butchers. No complaints whatsoever, especially at that price.

I don't have their boning knife but I use Wusthof classic knives at home and never had a problem with them.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the info, I have ordered a couple of f dicks , one boner and one skinner, so we shall see.

the freezer is full at the moment so it will be a month before the next deer gets grassed.

cheers

mike

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Thanks for all the info, I have ordered a couple of f dicks , one boner and one skinner, so we shall see.

the freezer is full at the moment so it will be a month before the next deer gets grassed.

cheers

mike
    F Dick are great.

As well as several of their Dickoron steels I also have one of their cutlet cleavers. Then a couple of months ago I picked up this double-edged cleaver from eBay in Germany.

Never mind the muntjac, bring on the barbarian hordes!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That s a beast!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    That s a beast!!!!
    Yes, it is a little bit of overkill, with two 16cm blades and weighing a shade under 2kg.

Not for the feint-hearted!

Craftsman
    Robert Welch knives hold their edge well