closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pics from our family holiday to London and Europe

Pics from our family holiday to London and Europe

Just returned from three weeks across the pond (first time!) with most of my family: wife and two younger sons (27 and 22). Following a short flight from San Diego to Los Angeles, we flew nonstop from LA to London (10.5 hours) on May 31-June 1. Six days later it was off to Paris for five days, then four days in Venice. We went by rail across Italy to Rome for the remainder of the trip, not counting one night in London to pick up our nonstop back to LA.

Our older son, Michael, has been working in Mozambique on a government-financed fellowship to assimilate Portuguese and Mozambique culture. Prior to that, he earned two masters degrees from Fordham University in New York following 2-1/2 years of service in the U.S. Peace Corps in Namibia. Obviously, we haven't been able to see much of him for the past several years!

Our younger son, Alex, just graduated last month with a bachelor of science degree in construction engineering, and has accepted a position as a project engineer with a national engineering and construction company. No more college costs!

I took almost 800 photos during our trip, though many were duplicates. For purposes of this post, I whittled them down to just 25...................you're welcome!

P.S. I thought about suggesting a GTG in London, but realized there was no way I could break free from my family during our short stay there.

London

Paris

Rome

(Site of the ancient Roman Circus Maximus)

Vatican City

For the Record:

Before you ask, I only took and wore my inexpensive Astroavia quartz chronograph, fearing damage, theft, or misplacement of something better. My wife wore her diamond Michelle (against my advice!). Our boys wore non-WIS watches I don't even know the names of, nor want to know!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks like a good trip,what was your favourite bit?

Master
    Great photos, brings back memories, loved both Rome and Paris when we went, especially just chilling out in the Effiel Tower gardens on an evening👍

Master
    Are you allowed to take pictures in the Vatican now or did you do what I and most others were doing and sneak a few shots😉

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Looks like a good trip,what was your favourite bit?
    Personally, I really loved London and could see living there under different circumstances. Venice was maybe most fun for my wife and I, as it was easy for us to get around on foot and casually shop and eat wherever.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Are you allowed to take pictures in the Vatican now or did you do what I and most others were doing and sneak a few shots
    The only place we couldn't take photos was inside the Sistine Chapel. Wow, Michelangelo's ceiling is a massive and hugely detailed "history of man!" We didn't begin to really "see" all of it, or even 5% of it!

Master
    Great photos and a great trip - my favourite cities.

Glad you had a great trip!

Did you feel a huge sense of history and time, as many of my American friends who visit do?
    So clever my foot fell off.

Just getting a quick snap of the Trevi fountain, dear...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    The only place we couldn't take photos was inside the Sistine Chapel. Wow, Michelangelo's ceiling is a massive and hugely detailed "history of man!" We didn't begin to really "see" all of it, or even 5% of it!
    Excellent pics, thanks for sharing them! May I ask which camera and lens you used?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Glad you had a great trip!

Did you feel a huge sense of history and time, as many of my American friends who visit do?
    Absolutely! In Rome I was constantly thinking, "How did people 2,000 years ago build these huge structures?"

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Excellent pics, thanks for sharing them! May I ask which camera and lens you used?
    All came from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone. I'm a novice using its camera.

Master
    Nice pictures, we’ve been to San Diego 3or4 times and loved it, good to hear you came the opposite direction and enjoyed it too.

Great Pics, really enjoyed them.

That was a whistle stop tour but you managed to cram in all the good stuff.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    All came from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone. I'm a novice using its camera.
    That’s amazing! I did not realise phone cameras were that good!

Besides t-shirts, my one souvenir was this pocket knife I bought for five euros in Venice:

Great post, my favourite this year.

Looks like a great vacation and you certainly packed a lot in. Thanks for sharing
    Andy