closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Illogical - watches you own want to love but can’t. Yet still have!

Illogical - watches you own want to love but can’t. Yet still have!

Here goes I’m stuck!
    I wanted a Speedie for ages! I’ve got one bought new I loved it or so I thought. Now it gets very limited wrist time. Yet, every time I’ve started to move it on totally illogically I can’t! Then it gets 3-4 days wrist time then out of favour again!
    I know it needs to leave but it clings on!

Here it is on the wrist tonight again trying to convince myself either way

https://i.imgur.com/pKggBLu.jpg

So my question, does anyone else have these types of watch. You want to love, own, but can’t love?? If so what have you done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a white faced Zenith dress watch from the 90s I wore for my wedding, which I feel exactly the same about.
    It looks great, very elegant; some horological interest with a super thin in house movement; and of course sentimental value. I should love it... but I don’t. Simply not a fan of dress watches.

I’ve tried to sell it a few times, but it’s always been withdrawn at the 11th hour - every collection needs a dress watch right? Plus this is the wedding watch.....

I wear it for a few days every once in a while, but I’m now resigned to never loving it and probably never selling it.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Dunhill Citydiver

The Dunhill facets are a secret pleasure of mine and this one really should be the icing on the cake. It's sat in its box for a decade - about once a year I am reminded, get it out, marvel at its offbeat charm and then put it on to discover, once again, that on the wrist it has all the aesthetic properties of a pretty wood burning stove.

Master
    Most of my watches have more cons than benefits. Then I wear it and see it from a certain angle or in a certain light and remember why I never sold it. For instance my 16800. Out iin daylight, there is nothing overly special or noticeable, it is any other diver, but under cfl tubes at work, the matte dial suddenly looks astounding. In contrast, indoors my moonwatch is rather dull and lifeless, but once under the sun, those sundials spring to life and it just looks fantastic. All depends on the lighting for me to remember why I live a certain watch

Master
    My own Speedmaster has become one of those. I really want to love it because I used to adore it. It's a sort of loyalty thing. It used to be a thrill to wear but now when I get it out and put it on, once every couple of months, I'm bored with it immediately. I hold it at different angles on my wrist, trying to get the light to catch it in a certain appealing way, trying to remember why I loved it, but it's almost as though it's a different watch.

I wish I knew how to put the spark back into our relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post

Post it off to me, absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that. If it doesn’t, I’ll be happy to hold onto it

You’re welcome.

All ten of them.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    If you don't love it, move it on, plenty of other watches to buy

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by qaz4169 View Post
    If you don't love it, move it on, plenty of other watches to buy

That’s the illogical part each time I try I can’t quite do it.

Craftsman
    My Submariner 16610 , was given as a gift from my dad, everytime he sees me he expects me to wear it and if not asks about it, I dont like the cyclops its no good, but it was a gift and I cant sell it.

Master
    There appears to be a Speedy theme here and I’m no different. Bought new by me in Sep 18 and had minimal wrist time since. I’ve offered it in p/x a couple of times however a deal has not materialised but I just can’t bring myself to list it as a stand alone sale.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    My own Speedmaster has become one of those. I really want to love it because I used to adore it. It's a sort of loyalty thing. It used to be a thrill to wear but now when I get it out and put it on, once every couple of months, I'm bored with it immediately. I hold it at different angles on my wrist, trying to get the light to catch it in a certain appealing way, trying to remember why I loved it, but it's almost as though it's a different watch.

Soft music
    Soft lighting
    And let the lume shine

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    My Submariner 16610 , was given as a gift from my dad, everytime he sees me he expects me to wear it and if not asks about it, I dont like the cyclops its no good, but it was a gift and I cant sell it.
    If your dad was a TZ-UK member asking for advice on what watch to buy for his son, the 16610 would be almost certainly a recommendation from a few well meaning you know whats.

Your predicament is living proof why no one, no matter who or what they are should recommend a watch for a total stranger. It is a totally mad situation for all concerned and yet when someone asks for a recommendation, the you know whats fall over themselves recommending one of their personnal favourites.

Speedy as well, like several others. I must wear it twice a year out of duty, but if I sell it it seems like I’m sacrificing my WIS soul, and as it came from Ryan, I would never be able to buy it back so cheaply again

I hardly wear my classic Seiko divers too, but my Orange Monster would be very expensive to replace in the current market.

D

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Get someone who knows what they're doing to remove the cyclops. Can be done on the 16610 as there's no AR coating under the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Get someone who knows what they're doing to remove the cyclops. Can be done on the 16610 as there's no AR coating under the lens.
    Had this done to my old sub years ago,,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Illogical - watches you own want to love but can’t. Yet still have!

Well that moved quick. Finally took the plunge and decided if it wasn’t on wrist enough I should be enjoying something else.

5 minute text conversation with a member from here I’d recently met and boom. Speedie gone and I enter the slippery slope of Panerai

Absolutely love it! And now starts the strap shopping..

Apprentice
    Luckily, none of mine.
    If there's something I'm not convinced about (and it happened in the past), I put them on the market and focus on something different.

Craftsman
    This one just never seems to get much use.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Worth getting a ND crystal fitted?
    Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

My Hulk - I don't 100% gel with it, but I hang onto it as I think I'd miss the colour (and impossible to replace).

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    My Hulk - I don't 100% gel with it, but I hang onto it as I think I'd miss the colour (and impossible to replace).
    Not impossible but it will cost you £12K!

Master
    My watches that have day / date. I rotate a lot, so rarely update the date never mind the day. Having the wrong date never bothers me, but the day as it's more prominent does. Go figure. The only exception to that is a Seiko with Kanj days as I've no idea what each symbol is and think it looks pretty cool :)

- - - Updated - - -

My watches that have day / date. I rotate a lot, so rarely update the date never mind the day. Having the wrong date never bothers me, but the day as it's more prominent does. Go figure. The only exception to that is a Seiko with Kanj days as I've no idea what each symbol is and think it looks pretty cool :)

- - - Updated - - -

Master
    A Rolex Sub date...i have had three of them including the new ceramic one.

They just wear too small for me the hands are too small and they are like the BMW of the watch world in that everyone other person has one.

Yes a great watch but not for me.

Happy outcome for the OP, interesting the speedmaster gets mentioned a fair amount. I keep thinking it'd be nice to have one

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

It’s interesting for me as the speedmaster is a watch that I’ve always admired and really want but at some angles what I see really puts me off.

I think the same about a SMP - I felt the same about a sub too - as if it's a watch you should want, everyone else does.

6 months later I moved it on. I think a lot of people feel the same, but it's one that WIS peer pressure says you must own.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Speedy pro for me

It’s a legible chrono,however I simply couldn’t bond with it but I do wear it every now and then

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    my moonwatch is rather dull and lifeless, but once under the sun, those sundials spring to life
    People keep bashing all the limited editions, but this I’d love to see!

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Absolutely love it! And now starts the strap shopping..
    I did exactly the same, and bought a tonne of straps and a little strap case etc... and then traded the watch. Please don’t get too carried away until you’re sure you’re keeping it, as they add up!

Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    People keep bashing all the limited editions, but this I’d love to see!

I did exactly the same, and bought a tonne of straps and a little strap case etc... and then traded the watch. Please don’t get too carried away until you’re sure you’re keeping it, as they add up!
    It’s a keeper that I’m certain!!! You got any pictures of what you had?

Master
    I’ve got a black monster gen2 on a bracelet that I’ve worn probably 5 times. No point in keeping it, but no point in selling as worth very little too. Maybe one to just accept I made a mistake buying a forum favourite lol

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I’ve got a black monster gen2 on a bracelet that I’ve worn probably 5 times. No point in keeping it, but no point in selling as worth very little too. Maybe one to just accept I made a mistake buying a forum favourite lol

Maybe offer it up to trade...someone might offer you something you like.

I've got a vintage Tissot Chrono and a pre-Tag Heuer that have been on the chopping block for ages, but I've lost the bloody bracelets so can't sell them just yet!