closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Rolex thread

Master
    Where do some people get the 1,000,000 watches a year fake news from?

The highest recorded number of movements in a single year sent for COSC testing (all Rolex movements are now COSC) circa 2015 was 800,000, a lot, but a million it isn't. Also there's no information as to how many movements went into watch cases and sold.

Also there was an article 2-3 years ago, I don't remember where I read it, that Rolex were cutting movement production to 600,000 to 700,000 annually.

As to Rolex aspiring to go up the "ranks" (if true) we could see a holy quartet PP, AP, VC, R................. maybe????

Master
    This is hilarious, and mostly wrong

https://tarafinejewelry.com/blog/3-f...r-should-know/

Master
    I think, in fairness, the quality of Rolex is very high.

Master
    The quality is acceptable for the price point

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Rolex are already cutting production, they are tougher and more waterproof and have longer service intervals.

From a horological POV, PP are well ahead but Rolex are learning lessons in getting nearer to them in the marketing game.
    Marketing have anything to do with the, being up their with PP, its a different subject.

Rolex can cut production but they will still produce more as you say from a horological point of view they are miles apart. limited production does not equal quality Panerai claim to only produce x amount of each model and have smaller runs that doesn't make them better. Do we all forget how rolex was 4-5 years ago price wise? it's the same watch as before

Rolex's are tough but so are a are other brands that are more refined.

Don't get me wrong at the retail price rolex is good value but they are not close to moving into the next tier.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    I don't like the thought of online sales from Rolex. Fedex chucking a parcel over the garden fence is not really an "experience" worthy of the brand.

I do however think Rolex could get involved more than they do in terms of allocation.

Why not introduce a process where you place an order direct with Rolex, and state your preferred AD for delivery.

When the watch arrives you get the call - turn it down, you lose your deposit & it goes in the display case.
    I like that idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find these little behind-the-scenes snippets fascinating. This is from a reputable Canadian grey dealer on another forum:

Rolex as a corporation is incredibly controlling of their dealer network. The dealers SHIVER for corporate. The dealers were dealt an upper hand when rolex cut off supply and they began to treat their clients like rolex treated them. Ugly all around. And YES, they cut off supply. Their official word is that "demand is up", but they created that demand by limiting what the dealers had to sell. That is what choked off discounts. I sat and watched while my dealer friends waited for their automatic portfolio replenishment stocks to arrive. They never did. I sat and watched how dealers were "encouraged" to invest a half million dollars in store reno's with the promise of a hike in inventory. Instead after the investment they are carrying far less product than before.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    The quality is acceptable for the price point

Is ‘price point’ higher or lower than the RRP (the ‘price’)

Craftsman
    I don't like the thought of online sales from Rolex. Fedex chucking a parcel over the garden fence is not really an "experience" worthy of the brand.

I do however think Rolex could get involved more than they do in terms of allocation.

Why not introduce a process where you place an order direct with Rolex, and state your preferred AD for delivery.

When the watch arrives you get the call - turn it down, you lose your deposit & it goes in the display case.

Why would Rolex want to increase costs to administer a sales process they allocate to dealers , the last thing they’ll want is direct contact with the end user.

I don’t think you’ve thought this one through very clearly.

Journeyman
    How would this benefit Rolex or the Rolex brand value?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    Why would Rolex want to increase costs to administer a sales process they allocate to dealers , the last thing they’ll want is direct contact with the end user.

I don’t think you’ve thought this one through very clearly.
    Rolex want to stop the grey market & this would do it.

They could give a time scale, build date and delivery date … even if it's 2 years away!

People wouldn't mind waiting as long as they know they're not being spun a yarn all the time.

AD still get their full mark up, and the taxman get their VAT.

I would guess the only folk that wouldn't benefit would be those out to make a bob or two.

They could give a time scale, build date and delivery date … even if it's 2 years away!

People wouldn't mind waiting as long as they know they're not being spun a yarn all the time.

I would guess the only folk that wouldn't benefit would be those out to make a bob or two.
    Been advocating something like this for ages, also let the buyer decide at the time of ordering whether they want cyclops or not, just like choosing the spec of a car.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman

Another Rolex thread

There has been some pretty decent discussion since I first started this thread.

So it seems Rolex have no intention of selling direct and the AD’s will play an integral role in the business model, and will continue to do so for a while at least.

I still think it would be easy enough to create an official wait list (could get the AD’s to pay in to cover if necessary). Walk into any AD and get your name down and join a good old fashioned English queue. Yes it may take years but those who really do want the watch can gain access.

Last edited by The Journey; 6th July 2019 at 13:35.

Craftsman

If Rolex really want to stop the grey market , push up the rrp to about what the grey market seem to be achieving, they win , their retail distribution dealers make extra margin , no one would need to go down the grey route.

Win win , far simpler way of cleaning everything up.

I’ve said it before.

Being put on an official list with an order number that can be checked online is just so basic in this day and age.
    Being sneered at by a shop assistant and told "You've no chance" needs to end soon.
    Being called and told you have just today to get down here with 8 grand is not realistic.

I can't think of a better feeling than checking the status of your order, knowing it's on it's way .. and preparing finances and an afternoon off to pick it up.

Master
    Being put on an official list with an order number that can be checked online is just so basic in this day and age.
    Being sneered at by a shop assistant and told "You've no chance" needs to end soon.
    Being called and told you have just today to get down here with 8 grand is not realistic.

I can't think of a better feeling than checking the status of your order, knowing it's on it's way .. and preparing finances and an afternoon off to pick it up.
    That's a ridiculous level of sense and logic. Hang your head in shame.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Have you seen the latest about the "Rolex display-only stock"? See ArchieLuxury.

Master
    If Rolex really want to stop the grey market , push up the rrp to about what the grey market seem to be achieving, they win , their retail distribution dealers make extra margin , no one would need to go down the grey route.

I’ve said it before.
    This has got to happen. Rolex could rack their prices up by 25% and the customers would still keep coming. I would rather put the extra profit into the hands of a decent AD than some flipper or fly by night grey dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Have you seen the latest about the "Rolex display-only stock"? See ArchieLuxury.
    Last edited by Mouse; 7th July 2019 at 11:11.

Master

I’ve said it before.
    I disagree with you and MickP in this. Quite vehemently, infact!

There is global financial trouble around a corner - or two. Rolex maintain a reasonable price bracket that will likely weather a financial storm BECAUSE they dont match Grey prices. Rolex, imho, have a firm hand on the tiller and are keeping steady course. They could milk the bubble right now, BUT, if the bubble bursts/deflates then Rolex will still avoid seeing their product discounted by AD's.

If Rolex pump their prices now, they'll take a value/reputational 'hit' on the down-swing.

All just my insignificant opinion, of course.

Apprentice
    I was in Glasgow at the weekend and had a good look round the watch shops but don’t even bother with the Rolex display window these days.

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    I disagree with you and MickP in this. Quite vehemently, infact!

There is global financial trouble around a corner - or two. Rolex maintain a reasonable price bracket that will likely weather a financial storm BECAUSE they dont match Grey prices. Rolex, imho, have a firm hand on the tiller and are keeping steady course. They could milk the bubble right now, BUT, if the bubble bursts/deflates then Rolex will still avoid seeing their product discounted by AD's.

If Rolex pump their prices now, they'll take a value/reputational 'hit' on the down-swing.

All just my insignificant opinion, of course.
    I agree - Rolex are a solid and reliable brand.

When others are discounting or buying back stock, Rolex will just carry on regardless.