closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Rolex thread

Journeyman

Another Rolex thread

As a new member to the forum, it has not taken long to realise that the availability of some SS models is a really contentious issue.

I have been thinking and the whole issue seems pretty easy to resolve if they really wanted to. Why don’t Rolex just cut out the middle man (AD) and sell direct to customers?

Yes there would still be a waiting list, but it could be an official one and at least you would know you were actually on it.

Benefits of the above:

Rolex gaining the extra 20-30% mark up, they also have complete line of sight of supply v demand and finally it removes the sour taste attached to the brand currently (for some)

Any thoughts on this happening in the future?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Because they need all those ADs to flog thousands of DJs.

Too sensible.

Master
    You're making the big assumption that Rolex think there's a problem. I think they're quite happy with things as they are.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    You're making the big assumption that Rolex think there's a problem. I think they're quite happy with things as they are.

I am making that assumption, mostly based on stories of Rolex advising AD’s to withhold warranty cards to combat flippers. Although that’s all hearsay I guess.

You can buy watches directly from Omega now and with the contraction of the AD dealer network towards more Rolex boutiques it's not a massive leap for this to happen. It would be an interesting development...

Craftsman
    In the latest Bark & Jack video he discusses all things Rolex following attendance at an event with senior Rolex members. In short Rolex ave no intention of selling direct.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post

Yes, they could easily satisfy the demand if they wanted to.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    In the latest Bark & Jack video he discusses all things Rolex following attendance at an event with senior Rolex members. In short Rolex ave no intention of selling direct.
    So it has been discussed then. Thanks for the info.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Yes, they could easily satisfy the demand if they wanted to.
    I'm not convnced they can, why else would they feel the need to build an additional production facility.

Master
    Selling direct makes a premium brand akin to that of a vacuum cleaner sold by Amazon.

I suspect Rolex will slowly rack up prices and make the ADs even more upmarket.

Rolex now know that customers are prepared to pay well above RRP so they may as well exploit it.

Master
    I'm not convnced they can, why else would they feel the need to build an additional production facility.
    To cater for the increase in the demand for Tudors, as they become ever more attractive to the people who really want an SS Rolex but fear that they will not live to be 412...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Selling direct makes a premium brand akin to that of a vacuum cleaner sold by Amazon.
    Better let Omega know I suspect online sales will be the way to go. JLC etc and other high quality brands sell direct (thinking of clothes) - selling by the web is the new normal.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 23rd June 2019 at 20:24.

Journeyman

Rolex now know that customers are prepared to pay well above RRP so they may as well exploit it.
    That’s a pretty good point to be fair. But the image I currently have of the brand is looking at a large display case with a couple of lonely looking watches in it. Surely that isn’t really showcasing the brand either.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Better let Omega know I suspect online sales will be the way to go. JLC etc and other high quality brands sell direct (thinking of clothes) - selling by the web is the new normal.
    IWC too.

Master

Interesting analogy 😉

All those empty cabinets in those Boutiques look really upmarket right now eh?

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Interesting analogy

Emperors new clothes?

Craftsman
    Interesting analogy 

It is however a constant reminder that the item you want is highly desireable and a must have.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Interesting analogy 

The cabinets aren’t empty they are full of bi metal and precious metal models!

Craftsman
    I was in Mappin and Webb yesterday and their large Rolex area was a sad place. Twenty feet of window and not a casual glance from the passing multitudes, all two tone women’s watches pretty much. I chatted to the manger and he said he gets a steel Pepsi GMT every three months. They had not a single sports watch on view inside either. They haven’t routinely displayed steel sports watches for three or four years.

I walked up to an Omega boutique and there were several window shoppers. Inside there was an interesting selection of watches, dress, precious and steel. Two customers were sat down paying.

There’s no quick answer, Rolex can’t just speed up the production line but how long until there is a generation that’s never seen a sports Rolex in a shop window to lust over, and presumably will then never come to want one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    It is however a constant reminder that the item you want is highly desireable and a must have.
    That’s the thing though, the regular man on the street won’t even know what they are missing as they are not there to see.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    The cabinets aren’t empty they are full of bi metal and precious metal models!
    Not at my local AD. Very sorry looking state of affairs. Couple of OP’s and a couple of DJ’s. Lots of empty spaces. Looks like they are going out of business rather than promoting a premium brand

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not at my local AD. Very sorry looking state of affairs. Couple of OP’s and a couple of DJ’s. Lots of empty spaces. Looks like they are going out of business rather than promoting a premium brand
    Lol well it’s different in Cardiff and WOS on Regents street had plenty last weekend

Rolex should be more like Christopher Ward

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Lol well it’s different in Cardiff and WOS on Regents street had plenty last weekend
    Capital City 2 - 0 Provincial City 😉

Master
    The local AD is spending £150k ‘upgrading’ their secure room to a Rolex only concession. All other brands including Tudor will be in the public ‘lobby’ and jewellery over the road in a new store. They have an SS sports model every 3-12 months depending on what you’re after, plenty of OPs, DJ’s and Cellinis.
    Guess they’re confident Rolex won’t be going e-channel anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Guess they’re confident Rolex won’t be going e-channel anytime soon.
    I don't think it's confidence. I think it's the inferred threat of losing the dealership if they don't do what they're told by Rolex.

Stuck my nose in a few dealers while walking round central London today. Plenty of DJ/OP but all in TT/PM with stones. They currently have nothing to offer you unless you are a) female and looking for a jewellery piece, or b) a member of 50 Cent's entourage.

It's rather sad really.

So what!
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Rolex should be grateful for all the free advice from everyone who thinks they know how to run their business better than Rolex themselves. Particularly the ones who don’t have a Rolex or don’t have an interest in buying one (or so they say).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Slade View Post
    Stuck my nose in a few dealers while walking round central London today. Plenty of DJ/OP but all in TT/PM with stones. They currently have nothing to offer you unless you are a) female and looking for a jewellery piece, or b) a member of 50 Cent's entourage.

It's rather sad really.
    Yet second hand dealers are awash with every model.

And many ‘enthusiasts’ have one at home, unworn except for in the house.....ready for sale.

Rolex make a million watches a year give or take. Rare at RRP only.

Meh. Giving consideration of getting rid my blnr and actually getting something a little rare.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonG156 View Post
    I was in Mappin and Webb yesterday and their large Rolex area was a sad place. Twenty feet of window and not a casual glance from the passing multitudes, all two tone women’s watches pretty much. I chatted to the manger and he said he gets a steel Pepsi GMT every three months. They had not a single sports watch on view inside either. They haven’t routinely displayed steel sports watches for three or four years.

I walked up to an Omega boutique and there were several window shoppers. Inside there was an interesting selection of watches, dress, precious and steel. Two customers were sat down paying.

There’s no quick answer, Rolex can’t just speed up the production line but how long until there is a generation that’s never seen a sports Rolex in a shop window to lust over, and presumably will then never come to want one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This is exactly why Rolex are getting their backsides handed to them by Omega in China and hence the ramped up production facilities en route

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Get a good fake. That will teach 'em. It's the only language they understand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by The Journey View Post
    That’s a pretty good point to be fair. But the image I currently have of the brand is looking at a large display case with a couple of lonely looking watches in it. Surely that isn’t really showcasing the brand either.

Pushing a brand image upwards is often a long and slow process and cannot be rushed.

PP currently lead the field and Rolex want to be the number two snapping at their heels. This means upgrading outlets and having to resist the temptation over making stock over available. If the present shortages continue for a couple more years, the exclusivity alone will rack the demand and prices up. All premium brands have a waiting list and that is a something all but the very wealthiest and powerful have to live with.

This is something WIS's are going to have to live with and the days of going in, snapping your fingers and demanding a discount are long gone.

Rolex want the same image as PP and good luck to them, and so far, they are making a good job of it.

"I say, fetch me a pretty Rolex my good man!"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    Yet second hand dealers are awash with every model.

And many ‘enthusiasts’ have one at home, unworn except for in the house.....ready for sale.

Rolex make a million watches a year give or take. Rare at RRP only.

Meh. Giving consideration of getting rid my blnr and actually getting something a little rare.
    I love this rarity point, it is made by many. Rolex have never said they are rare. Prestigious, aspirational, yes even exclusive, but not rare.

Annual production is around 800,000 from movements submitted for COSC testing (these are public records), compare to Patek Philippe for example, as of a 2017 article, it stated that Patek haven't reached 1,000,000 units in their entire existence! Plus PP was a "pensioner" even before R was "born"

I don't like the thought of online sales from Rolex. Fedex chucking a parcel over the garden fence is not really an "experience" worthy of the brand.

I do however think Rolex could get involved more than they do in terms of allocation.

Why not introduce a process where you place an order direct with Rolex, and state your preferred AD for delivery.

When the watch arrives you get the call - turn it down, you lose your deposit & it goes in the display case.

Craftsman

Rolex want the same image as PP and good luck to them, and so far, they are making a good job of it.
    Rolex mass produced
    PP limited production

Not sure how Rolex are doing a good job at having the same imagine as Patek. I don’t think anyone thinks of Rolex in the same category as PP when you look at at the quality.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    You can buy watches directly from Omega now and with the contraction of the AD dealer network towards more Rolex boutiques it's not a massive leap for this to happen. It would be an interesting development...
    The boutiques are still owned by jewellers generally, the Omega and Breitling boutique in Manchester are both owned by Ernest Jones....

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    The boutiques are still owned by jewellers generally, the Omega and Breitling boutique in Manchester are both owned by Ernest Jones....
    Interestingly I was chatting to a sales person in Goldsmiths that was telling me that Leeds were losing one of their ADs as Rolex didn't want multiple in the city and they were hoping that meant their allocation would increase as a result. So I might see that DSSD before I'm dead after all

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Rolex mass produced
    PP limited production

Not sure how Rolex are doing a good job at having the same imagine as Patek. I don’t think anyone thinks of Rolex in the same category as PP when you look at at the quality.

Rolex are already cutting production, they are tougher and more waterproof and have longer service intervals.

From a horological POV, PP are well ahead but Rolex are learning lessons in getting nearer to them in the marketing game.

Master
    Not sure of this has been posted but worth a look. Bark and Jack with alleged info on all of the above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGb3VXTzLrw&t=482s

Rolex can never be PP nor is it their aspiration.
    The current Rolex tag line is - You never own a Rolex. You only flip it for a profit.

Unless ofcourse, you are Mick P.:-)

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Rolex mass produced
    PP limited production

Both have limited production otherwise everyone could buy a Rolex.

Master
    Rolex are already cutting production, they are tougher and more waterproof and have longer service intervals.

From a horological POV, PP are well ahead but Rolex are learning lessons in getting nearer to them in the marketing game.
    Rolex learned from the BMW school of marketing. Which I admire as it is very difficult to do, and you need a product that stands up to scrutiny as the backbone of the campaign.

For example, a few years back, in the UK the BMW3 was more common than the Ford Mondeo (still is AFAIK) but way more desirable and aspirational.

Rolex are using a similar marketing model at present, "common as muck" but still "everybody" either wants one or as least knows that Rolex are a high-end brand.

It's genius, large quantities produced, yet still desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Rolex should be grateful for all the free advice from everyone who thinks they know how to run their business better than Rolex themselves. Particularly the ones who don’t have a Rolex or don’t have an interest in buying one (or so they say).
    Brilliant!

Not to mention the advice from people who don’t run their own businesses- a fact which never seems to get in the way of some such folk knowing exactly how and where those who do own businesses are going wrong.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Rolex can never be PP nor is it their aspiration.
    The current Rolex tag line is - You never own a Rolex. You only flip it for a profit.

Unless ofcourse, you are Mick P.:-)
    How do you know the aspirations of the Rolex board. They run an excellent business model and are successfully re-imaging their brand and discounting is now almost a memory. Things appear to be looking up. PP will always be number 1 because of the history and cache but Rolex are certainly in the early stages of biting at their heels.

As regards to flipping, I suspect that only a few indecisive WIS's do that. Most Rolex owners probably keep them for years. TZ-UK members are not your typical wearer.

Master
    How do you know the aspirations of the Rolex board. They run an excellent business model and are successfully re-imaging their brand and discounting is now almost a memory. r.
    ‘’Re-imaging the brand.’ Quite the opposite. What they have done is respond to the emerging new middle-classes by blinging-up the range. Making many models more vulgar and mildly tasteless . I don’t blame them, that’s where their growth is. But it’s ploddingly predictable and utterly lacking in imagination or creativity. That’s not what they do these days.
    I admire Rolex because they brilliantly tap into the aspirations of the average middle income consumer, (like me) They wouldn’t want to be Patek, they want to sell a million watches a year. They’re Waitrose, not Harrods.
    And slowly, they will increase production capacity.
    Last edited by paskinner; 25th June 2019 at 12:40.

Rolex are already cutting production
    I’d be interested to see where you got the figures to back that up Mick.