closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Motorbike Question

Craftsman

Motorbike Question

Evening all,

Ordered a new bike today and went with the usual accessories. Something I didn't order but am considering is a shock tube. Can see that r and g supply one and it's about 25quid. Just wondering do others here use them and / or if you think it's worthwhile. As the bike is brand new I'm trying to do as much as I can to keep it in good nick whilst avoiding too much maintenance..

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Master
    Never heard of shock tube until today _ we used to call them gaiters -I believe in the bad old days they were made from leather for the rear shocks - some people advocate them on forks and rear shocks if dirt riding but for dry road or UK winter I would just use a quick soapy wash.

Cheaper than huggers anyway by the looks of it for the rear.

Do whatever makes you fell good - it's your bike................:-)

Enjoy the ride.

B

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Never heard of shock tube until today _ we used to call them gaiters - some people advocate them on forks and rear shocks if dirt riding but for dry road or UK winter I would just use a quick soapy wash.

Cheaper than huggers anyway by the looks of it for the rear.

Do whatever makes you fell good - it's your bike................:-)

Enjoy the ride.

B
    As Brian says , more crap thrown off the rear wheel onto both you and the bike. Modern forks go years without maintenance or gaiters unless you ride in the desert. Enjoy the new bike and save some cash for good clothing for yourself

I still know them as rubber gaiters and they are a functional accessory, keeping grit off the fork seal and protecting the fork slider from damage.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the info. Definitely get that they are a not an essential purchase. Was just wondering if worth it given pretty cheap anyway. I don't clean my bike enough and particularly during winter I cannot be fecked and know I don't do as much as I should. I've taken the pillian pegs off this time around as it's one less thing to clean and worry about corroding. Was thinking along same lines with this. It seems what's being said tho is that it's overkill so thanks for the advice. I do around 12 miles a day commuting and it's luckily not across a desert.

Last edited by RBear1981; 22nd June 2019 at 22:39.

You can get a stone chip anytime on the fork slider and it can damage your fork seal in double-quick time.

Talking of double-quick time, that's how quickly you should edit your last post to remove the profanity!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Done! So do you have one Ralphy

I used one on the uprated rear shock of a GPZ500 I once owned. Made of neoprene, velcro fitting and then tiewrapped on. Did the job very well and you could just bung it in the washing machine when it got too caked

Kept the shock pristine.
    Last edited by Mouse; 22nd June 2019 at 23:25.

Shock tubes...like the R&G thing are not a particularly good idea if you want your shock to function well..
    Shocks work by converting linear motion to heat. Feel a shock after a hard ride, if it's working properly, and set up correctly, it will be warm, or hot even. For it to maintain efficiency and prevent fade, it needs to be able to dissipate it's heat as quickly as possible...shock tubes prevent this.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RBear1981 View Post
    I don't clean my bike enough and particularly during winter I cannot be fecked and know I don't do as much as I should. I've taken the pillian pegs off this time around as it's one less thing to clean and worry about corroding. Was thinking along same lines with this. It seems what's being said tho is that it's overkill so thanks for the advice. I do around 12 miles a day commuting and it's luckily not across a desert.

Suggest you spray it with something like Scotoiler 365 after each ride in winter (and summer) - it's very good for slowing down rot and takes no time to apply.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...tectant-review

I was advised against these years ago because they can trap moisture in and make things worse not better. ACF50 is your friend in winter, amazing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Shock tubes...like the R&G thing are not a particularly good idea if you want your shock to function well..
    Shocks work by converting linear motion to heat. Feel a shock after a hard ride, if it's working properly, and set up correctly, it will be warm, or hot even. For it to maintain efficiency and prevent fade, it needs to be able to dissipate it's heat as quickly as possible...shock tubes prevent this.
    I'd be concerned about the heat too.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    No probs, thanks fo the replies. I do use acf so will stick with that. Do you use it on literally the whole bike? I've heard some people do. I usually keep it away from the discs on the wheels etc tho those also seem to discolour..

Everywhere metal, but not discs, pads etc otherwise you’ll have no brakes! A little goes a long way and it creeps so caution near tyres and brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    ACF50 is your friend in winter, amazing stuff.
    This...x 1000.
    Prevents AND arrests corrosion.
    It is indeed amazing stuff.