closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David M Robinson - Canary Wharf

Craftsman

David M Robinson - Canary Wharf

Last summer, having had absolutely no luck with the main Patek store, I went into David M Robinson in Canary Wharf to enquire about buying a Nautilus for my wife (actually knowing full well what the net result would be).

Having asked whether such a watch was available the salesman looked at me as if I had just landed from Mars and then started chuckling stating that “there was a waiting list, now closed, sorry”. I said “ so you are a salesman in a watch shop that cannot sell me a watch ?” , I chuckled and walked out.

Cool story, bro.

Master
    He sells watches & probably gets commission from each sale, why is he laughing I would be crying seeing potential sales walk out.

Journeyman
    I’ve been in there before to ask about Rolex and was told that I could go on a list after I’d bought some jewellery!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lostp View Post
    I’ve been in there before to ask about Rolex and was told that I could go on a list after I’d bought some jewellery!
    What,thats blackmail.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    What,thats blackmail.
    It's not blackmail.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    What,thats blackmail.
    Happened to me at Fraser Hart Brent Cross.
    Strange how these people treat potential customers.

Mark

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Having bought from them before, when asking about a steel Rolex was essentially told I wasn't a valued enough customer and was advised to try for a more obtainable IWC.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeb1 View Post
    Having bought from them before, when asking about a steel Rolex was essentially told I wasn't a valued enough customer and was advised to try for a more obtainable IWC.
    ‘I do hope you responded along the lines of:- *uck right off, you need me more than I need you!

Honestly, the cheek of it! “You are a customer, but not a valued enough customer”.

I hope you never buy from that shop again.

Journeyman
    I have been told that too by a couple of places, the margins in jewellery are much greater I guess
    Quote Originally Posted by lostp View Post
    Sent from my SM-G965F using TZ-UK mobile app

And you're sharing this a year later why?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I spoke to DMR about a Rolex and was told I'd have to buy about 3k of jewellery to get a sub.

I said I don't wear jewellery and am not married. The person on the phone said "well you're out of luck then mate".

Charming...

Understandable, they're fed up with chancers ringing round.

Master
    Hi, you don’t know me but I’d like to buy a watch I could walk out of the shop and sell for more than double what I pay for it. You only get a couple a year but I’d like you to sell it to me ahead of the customers who have spent hundreds of thousands with you...

They sell watches. RRP is the price and they make a healthy profit. Everything else is smoke and mirrors.

Craftsman
    Had a similar experience at the same place. I asked to be put on a list for a black sub. I was given the same spending history nonsense.

When I done the maths, it was going to cost me over 12k for a sub!!!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I had been recounting the story to a mate this week and he thought it highly ironic and thought I might share the story,

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I was recounting the story to mate this week and he thought it ironic but amusing, thought I would share?

Master
    Buy some of my tat and I'll sell you an overpriced watch.

I'm still thinking...

It’s up to you guys but if I were treated like this I would straight away say “ go and f... your product” and would rather wear a Swatch.
    And I’m thinking here more of those Rolex related stories, not necessarily the Patek.
    If the list is long enough they can close it for some time. But force someone to buy whatever shit to get on the list is blackmail.
    I would think twice if I really want to connect myself to a brand like that on any level. (I know it’s more the AD rather than the brand, but still.)
    If most or at least many customers would think like this those salesmen would soon coming out of the stores the try to catch you and would be begging for your hard earned. But what do I know..

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by browjam View Post
    I said “ so you are a salesman in a watch shop that cannot sell me a watch ?” , I chuckled and walked out.
    You really told him!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Understandable, they're fed up with chancers ringing round.
    This ^^^^ dealers have limited supply and unlimited demand, other watch brands are available so the solution is simple, and why some expect a premium brand largely hand assembled watch to have the availability of a Ford Fiesta I can't fathom.
    Last edited by number2; 23rd June 2019 at 08:10.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    You really told him!
    😄😄

Journeyman
    Lots of watches are hand assembled...
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    This ^^^^ dealers have limited supply and unlimited demand, other watch brands are available so the solution is simple, and why some expect a premium brand largely hand assembled watch to have the availability of a Ford Fiesta I can't fathom.
    Sent from my SM-G965F using TZ-UK mobile app

So stress out over a different brand which isn't today's 'must have' fashion accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    In fact a Ford Fiesta is about a million times more complex product than any mass produced watch.

“You never actually own a Ford Fiesta. You merely look after it for the next generation”

Stating the obvious here but this a self perpetuating vicious circle fuelled by the manufacturer.

With the starved supply, supposedly the ADs wants the watch to go to somebody who won’t immediately sell it on for profit so they unofficially have their own vetting system but if you throw cash at the AD then this no longer matters?

The answer is obvious but Rolex seem to like the current situation as it elevates the prominence of the brand so I personally can’t see them changing their stance, after all they have had plenty of time to remedy if it was just a manufacturing blip.

What I do find offensive is the reported treatment that some customers are getting but unless the supplies ramp up the ADs really have nothing to lose so can afford to look down their noses at some.

Gone are the days of entering a Rolex shop to just have a look and in future suggest you do as the Greeks do at weddings, walk into the shop with loads of £50 notes pinned to your clothes

Journeyman
    Regardless of what situation the manufacturer puts these retailers in there is a way to deliver the news to customers that doesn't result in them being furious. Doesn't matter how many times they've had to repeat it that day either

When I enquired about a sea dweller at a Rolex AD the lady explained about the waiting list, then said why don't you bring some of your watches in and have a cup of coffee with one of their people and we'll discuss what alternatives there are

Pretty simple really. They have a customer in the future if they ever do get any watches in to sell :D

Quote Originally Posted by witti View Post
    In fact a Ford Fiesta is about a million times more complex product than any mass produced watch.
    I'm pretty confident that a Fiesta is much easier to buy though

Quote Originally Posted by Bclark View Post
    Regardless of what situation the manufacturer puts these retailers in there is a way to deliver the news to customers that doesn't result in them being furious. Doesn't matter how many times they've had to repeat it that day either

When I enquired about a sea dweller at a Rolex AD the lady explained about the waiting list, then said why don't you bring some of your watches in and have a cup of coffee with one of their people and we'll discuss what alternatives there are

Pretty simple really. They have a customer in the future if they ever do get any watches in to sell :D
    I'd send one of my people along with the watches.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    What I do find offensive is the reported treatment that some customers are getting but unless the supplies ramp up the ADs really have nothing to lose so can afford to look down their noses at some.

Gone are the days of entering a Rolex shop to just have a look and in future suggest you do as the Greeks do at weddings, walk into the shop with loads of £50 notes pinned to your clothes
    That kind of attitude from the AD’s does have consequences for many. Personally I would never buy from Goldsmiths again based on exactly that kind of response to an enquiry on Rolex. Had it been handled in a professional manner my stance would be different.

That two minute conversation has turned me away from them for the foreseeable future. I would rather drive by them to another dealer that is further away and therefore more inconvenient than give any of my money to GS.

The only time they are likely to see my credit card is when I want something that I can only get from them and no where else.

The other thing I would say is I totally agree about the days of walking into a Rolex Area and finding plenty to look at and dream about. Most of them now look rather sad, unloved and almost like it’s the brand they are “running out”. Not very Premium and hardly purveys the correct image

Another boring story. I’m not having a go at you OP, but these stories are ten-a-penny and the answer is obvious; buy another brand. Don’t concede to these pretentious brands. There’s a whole world of great watches out there to be enjoyed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I agree with the points that it's how you are treated.

If a dealer says to me that they are giving preferential supply to repeat customers I completely get it, but to basically say 'tough luck' is hardly going to make a customer say ok I'll come back to see you if I want something else.

If DMR lost their Rolex franchise I bet that attitude would change pretty quick.

DRM have all the big investment banks around them, and the yearly bonuses that these traders get. They can afford to be rude to any joe public who just walks in there in anything other than a tailor made suit and something expensive already on the wrist.

Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    DRM have all the big investment banks around them, and the yearly bonuses that these traders get. They can afford to be rude to any joe public who just walks in there in anything other than a tailor made suit and something expensive already on the wrist.

Fish
    I imagine another 'chinless' will be along shortly.
    Last edited by number2; 23rd June 2019 at 16:15.

Am I missing something? It sounds to me as if they can get the watches, if you either have history or are willing to spend on jewellery at the same time? Or is that just to get on the lists? Not that Im bothered in the slightest.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I wonder if any of theses ADs have taken any anti-corruption and bribery course as surely asking that you purchase something in order to get into their good books is tantamount?

I wonder if any of theses ADs have taken any anti-corruption and bribery course as surely asking that you purchase something in order to get into their good books is tantamount?
    No different to supermarket BOGOF, clubcard points etc.

No different to supermarket BOGOF, clubcard points etc.
    They're very different. None of the schemes you mention only allow you to buy Item E if you've already bought Items A - D.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    They're very different. None of the schemes you mention only allow you to buy Item E if you've already bought Items A - D.
    Okay, buy A-D, get E (otherwise unobtainable) free.

Anyway, hardly corruption, just a marketing ploy and they're all bribery of a sort.

Craftsman
    Okay, buy A-D, get E (otherwise unobtainable) free.

Anyway, hardly corruption, just a marketing ploy and they're all bribery of a sort.
    Been going on in the car industry for decades and is generally just accepted if you want to get the latest hypercar etc.

Apprentice
    If you get (for arguments sake) two of a very high-value item annually that you might get (again for arguments sake) a hundred punters a month seriously enquiring about, then only a terrible, borderline incompetent businessman would sell one to a random person off the street. It’s crap if you want the item, but from the AD’s point of view it’s a complete no brainer to either bundle it or to look after long-standing, rich, repeat clients.

As long as AD’s aren’t rude I don’t think there is an issue. I’ve been into this particular AD enquiring about some Unobtanium. The salesman noticed the watch I was wearing, politely told me that they had lots of interest in said Unobtanium (basically a very nice F-off) but proceeded to get me a coffee and chat watches for 20 minutes, despite the fact we both knew I wasn’t buying anything.

Craftsman
    What did the other Patek dealers say when you asked for a nautilus?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    Been going on in the car industry for decades and is generally just accepted if you want to get the latest hypercar etc.
    I agree the fact bit, but if these were say financial products, it would be really frowned upon.

- You can't buy car insurance without buying our buildings insurance.
    - You can only buy blue chip shares in X if you buy dog shares in Y.
    - You can only buy this Fiesta if you buy the service plan, gap insurance, extended warranty and lots of optional extras.

FCA would surely see that as at least forcing consumers to unnecessarily overspend and overstretch? I'm no expert but if feels a bit dodgy within the confines of uk consumer law. The principle should be regardless of cost or wealth of the target customer.

If people spend with them then I understand the thinking behind it, and let's be honest we are clever enough to read between the lines, but saying 'you have no chance but if you spend about £x000 with then maybe...' is a tad coercive, and still may not work.

Ferrari play it clever with their limited cars by saying they invite customers to have the opportunity, which is fancy speak for saying we don't push products on people, but if they don't buy lots of cars they don't get invited.

Unless you buy a shedload of stuff, get your Pepsi and take the rest back for a refund under consumer rights :)

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post

Fish
    ‘The day’s of Mega Bonuses are long gone. When I was at Credit Suisse at bonus time we had dealers telling the Porsche Dealer in Stratford to deliver the ‘ride of choice’ at lunchtime and they’d pay by bankers draft!

But now the majority of the bonus is in shares that aren’t available for some considerable time.

it’s a lot more boring in Canary Wharf these days😀

I've done those courses and it woudn't count.

All of this is creating a toxic relationship between the customer and the manufacturer. At some point, it's this resentment that may cause a downturn.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by LeBowl View Post
    What did the other Patek dealers say when you asked for a nautilus?
    Patek in New Bond Street told me that I would have to wait 12 years fro a white face Nautilus but they wouldn’t put me on the list. Ended up buying my wife a 34mm Rolex Datejust on a jubilee.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    “You never actually own a Ford Fiesta. You merely look after it for the next generation”
    Lol, classic!!!

Quote Originally Posted by witti View Post
    But force someone to buy whatever shit to get on the list is blackmail.
    For the second time, it isn't blackmail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackmail