closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: David M Robinson - Canary Wharf

Master
    Not a Rolex person so I assume that the models I see in dealers windows are either unpopular models that don’t sell, or are window dressing models that aren’t actually fully functioning watches.?

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    For the second time, it isn't blackmail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackmail
    Agree it’s not blackmail, to me it’s more like greasing their hands, which is frowned upon in any anti corruption/bribery policy.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Agree it’s not blackmail, to me it’s more like greasing their hands, which is frowned upon in any anti corruption/bribery policy.
    Unless you greased the salespersons hands yes, otherwise it isn't.

Craftsman

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    “You never actually own a Ford Fiesta. You merely look after it for the next generation”
    If you look at the V5, you are only the registered keeper after all...

Quote Originally Posted by browjam View Post
    Patek in New Bond Street told me that I would have to wait 12 years for a white face Nautilus....
    Sorry I just spat my brew out laughing. Have a word with yourselves Patek.

If to buy a desirable watch you first have to buy a bagful of undesirable, gaudy, over priced tat, then I guess it makes the grey market a reasonable channel?

Unfortunately the practice also perpetuates the production and selling of undesirable, gaudy, over priced tat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Unfortunately the practice also perpetuates the production and selling of undesirable, gaudy, over priced tat.
    Presumably then the market for nearly-new gaudy overpriced tat must be swamped? Good for .....somebody..... somewhere....

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Presumably then the market for nearly-new gaudy overpriced tat must be swamped? Good for .....somebody..... somewhere....
    Consigned to a box in the loft or cupboard, never seeing light again. Or, recycled as unwanted birthday and Christmas prezzies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I had a similar poor experience in Aspreys. The salesperson bluntly cutting me off before I'd even mentioned which steel sports Rolex I was interested in and suggesting ' you should go and talk to whoever you are a regular customer of. We can't help.'

Combined with body language they may as well have told me to f*** off. Other ADs are much more polite and make you feel welcome even if they can't/won't help on a batman/pepsi/Hulk/ etc.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    For the second time, it isn't blackmail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackmail
    Obviously it’s an expression, it’s not literally raining cats and dogs either

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    ‘The day’s of Mega Bonuses are long gone. When I was at Credit Suisse at bonus time we had dealers telling the Porsche Dealer in Stratford to deliver the ‘ride of choice’ at lunchtime and they’d pay by bankers draft!

But now the majority of the bonus is in shares that aren’t available for some considerable time.

it’s a lot more boring in Canary Wharf these days😀
    Shame I entered into banking after that period. No mega bonuses and no Rolexes / Porsche’s at list price anymore !

This doesn't reflect well on the relevant salespeople and their organisations, and there's several retailers I wouldn't touch because of bad service and/or poor attitude (not just watch ADs I hasten to add): I see no point in rewarding poor behaviour with business, and I'd always rather support a firm that does its job well.

The real gripe I have here is with the manufacturers; not that either have ever been high on my personal list of must-haves, but Rolex and Patek don't cover themselves in glory by restricting supply so tightly. I know the marketing-speak rationales for it (Swiss watchmakers a rare breed, handmade this, handmade that, etc etc) but it's just good old market-making, really. Which, again, isn't a behaviour that I personally feel any need to reward. Plenty of other interesting watches out there, after all!

Master
    Blog Entries
    In fairness the ADs, especially in london may get 50 or multiple of this daily enquires about impossible to get pieces.

Deal with that daily and eventually anyone will snap with the boredom of repeating the same thing over and over. It must be frustrating being a sales person with no stock.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    In fairness the ADs, especially in london may get 50 or multiple of this daily enquires about impossible to get pieces.

Deal with that daily and eventually anyone will snap with the boredom of repeating the same thing over and over. It must be frustrating being a sales person with no stock.
    Maybe so but it is a distinct lack of professionalism. Frontline, customer facing staff should be trained to deal with it correctly and promote their business in a more positive vein. Sadly that level is missing in many stores up and down the country

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Maybe so but it is a distinct lack of professionalism. Frontline, customer facing staff should be trained to deal with it correctly and promote their business in a more positive vein. Sadly that level is missing in many stores up and down the country
    Up to them how they promote the business and whether investment in training etc. is worthwhile. If customers aren’t happy they can/will go elsewhere.

I think myself extremely lucky to be in a position whereby my local jeweller, the one who supplied my wife’s engagement ring, our wedding rings, her eternity ring, my first ever watch of value (paid for with my first ever ‘bankers bonus’) and numerous other shiny things, also happens to be a Rolex AD, who has allowed me the great privilege of joining a many years long waiting list, for a trinket made of unobtanium (stainless steel for goodness sake!).

I had no idea how honoured I am until reading this thread. I think it’s probably something to do with being a loyal customer?

Gosh, this watch collecting thing is a right old carry-on isn’t it?

Master
    The real question is, if they did have a desirable Rolex model that you wanted, would you still buy it from them even after the bad service?

I think a lot ADs think that customers will. Good manners doesn’t cost anything though.