closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Does anyone else enjoy pocket watches

Master

Does anyone else enjoy pocket watches

I got interested in pocket watches quite recently after trying to find an affordable hand wound wristwatch that I liked with a Unitas 6497 or 6498 and failing.

I then took the sideways step into vintage and modern pocket watches and have built up a small collection of half a dozen or so.

I received my latest one in the post today which is my most modern. It’s a Woodford top of the line Swiss Made model in a gold plated hunter case with a Unitas 6498 inside and dates from 1998.

If anyone is interested in seeing them let me know and I can take some pictures this weekend and post them up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Yes please!

It's something I know nothing about but am always interested in.

I'd love to get a decent pocket watch to wear with my kilt but knowing nothing about them or where to buy them it's a bit of a minefield.

I like all watches, so please post pics.
    Regarding your Woodford, I also had one I found in a charity shop for a fiver. Sold as needing a new battery, but it had '17 jewels' on the dial...
    Got it home, wound it up and it worked. Took a closer look and saw '925 sterling' marked inside and out on all parts of the case, and cheapest solid silver model was around £450 on Woodford's site!
    Swapped it for a seventies Sicura Rally GT40 'chrono computer' my mate bought new in 1975 from the shop he worked in (Ciro Citterio) in Nottingham.

Here is one I would love for a dollar.

Actual example, not bad for a paper dial eh?

Craftsman
    I’ve recently picked up a clean Elgin B W Raymond railroad grade pocket watch to wear for my daughters University graduation.
    Currently waiting on an Albert Chain for it, I left an old figaro chain with a local jeweller ( member on here ), who is looking to source 2 swivel clasps and a T bar to complete the conversion.
    Looking forward to wearing in mid July.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably get a right shoeing for confessing I have and really like a marriage wrist watch made with a 1930s Vulcain pocket watch movement. Not stupidly large, lovely porcelain arab script dial with very elegant original blue hands, and very very legible. Nicely cased in SS by a Polish machining genius with an exhibition back to display a really quite pleasing looking movement that keeps rather good time and sounds lovely.
    Will try and post a pic or two if anyone is interested.

Does anyone else enjoy pocket watches

@Pupp, I’d like to see your watch if you can post your pictures.

I have a few that I’ve posted pictures of the in past, so sorry for the repeats. All of these have essentially the same movement despite spanning about 40 year in the first half of the 19th Century.

This has a Helvetia 32A movement.

On the left is a waterproof pocket watch from around 1912. On the right a WW2 GSTP, which also has a Helvetia 32A.

The GSTP movement.

Inside the waterproof one. The GSTP movement has a number of similarities with its earlier cousin.
    Last edited by alfat33; 25th June 2019 at 18:42.

Here's the Vulcain marriage job... fire away

That’s nice. Lovely dial and hands, seems to sit well in that case.

Thanks; I must admit I was very pleased when I got to see it in the flesh. The winding action compared to contemporary watch movements was a bit daunting until used to however!

Master
    Great thread. Haven’t got round to photographing my watches yet but I do have one with me at work today. A Limit in a Dennison case.

Can anyone help work out these service marks inside the case?

Would be very interested to know when it was last serviced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I understand it, the service marks by watch makers are often just job number references so you can’t date them without the original service log from the workshop. I’ve had one watch where the marks did seem to contain the year; xxx/55, yyy/59 etc.

Talking of service marks, this Omega trench watch has over a dozen, although some cannot be seen on the opposite side in this pic.
    Some have what look to be dates, some don't.