closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Headphones advice

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Headphones advice

I'm looking for some headphones but don't need Bluetooth or noise cancelling.

Just a beltingly good set of cans which will mainly be used for piano practise so want something that can handle a good range of notes without distortion.

Any pointers to top quality no frills headphones appreciated.

AKG 240, very true sounding.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    AKG 240, very true sounding.
    i was expecting something more expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    wow, these are very expensive

Craftsman
    Pop into currys and try a load out, they always have a good range to try.

Sennheiser HD-25

Will cost you about £120 online but these are exceptionally good acoustically and built to last.

Check out the reviews of the HD-25, they used to be called HD-25-1-II

Here you go.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-75...gateway&sr=8-2

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/th...ar-headphones/

The MDR-7506 has been a studio staple since its introduction in 1991, and there’s a great reason why: Not only does this pair of headphones provide accurate bass, mids, and treble, but it also gives you a better sense of the depth and dynamics of your music than many models twice its current retail price. Plus, this set is durable, comfortable, and reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Why? These are studio monitors and they are worth every penny.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Why? These are studio monitors and they are worth every penny.
    Just thought I would have to pay more for good quality headphones.

Just thought I would have to pay more for good quality headphones.
    I see. Just try them and you might be surprised.

Master
    The Sony ones mentioned above terrific for the money. Super comfy, inexpensive, good quality etc. I've had wired Sennheisers in the past but I've always found their wires flimsy and the ultimate source of a breakage. If you don't mind a lack of portability, then a decent pair of open backed studio headphones would give you particularly accurate sound. Something like the AKG K702.

No need to go crazy on the price, the improvements over about 80 quid are real but the cost to make these incremental improvements is high.

Just avoid fashion headphones like Beats and you're be OK

Sent from my SM-G903F using TZ-UK mobile app

I've got some AKG K550 for closed back usage in the house and have been impressed with the sound and comfort. Not too expensive either. I do have some HD600s as well, which have a great sound, but the open back thing doesn't really work in my house.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I decided to treat myself to some headphones a couple of years back, after getting fed up with buds. As hearing is a very individual thing, I found the best place was a nearby John Lewis, which had umpteen sets of phones available (£50 - £500 ish) and they were happy to let me plug in my iPad and listen for as long as I wanted. Having gone in with the intention of spending around a ton, I walked out about an hour and half later with £170's worth of Sennheisers so I blew the budget a bit, but I've had no regrets - they sound superb to my ears and for my type of music. No harm in asking for recommendations, but headphones are something you can only work out for yourself.

Cheers,

Plug

Master
    Bayerdynamic 770 or 990 so comfortable you forget you are wearing them.

I had a pair of 240s maybe 20 years ago and they were excellent - believe model’s been upgraded over the years too.
    Fantastic sound and supremely comfortable.

Grado SR60 or 80. Nothing comes close in my experience as a hi fi dealer. Belting good headphones.

I got a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 880s recently, listened to a few others, decided to keep these specifically for use with synths. They have excellent flat, reference-grade reproduction across the whole frequency range, with far more low-end that others, e.g. AKG K550s, which I also have a pair of, as my usual reference headphones. The latter do sound better in the midrange and are much punchier. I suspect for piano you'd prefer those, or possibly Grados (see caveats).

To help illustrate the difference: my Behringer Model D can produce some earth-rumbling sounds that simply cannot be heard through the AKGs. For most non-electronic instruments, you'd never notice that, while the increased midrange detail of the AKGs would be more important. That's why I've still got both.

I had some Grados years ago and quickly sold them as I didn't like them. They have a reputation for being a bit love-em-or-hate-em. I can't remember exactly what the sound profile was like, but AFAIK they tend to strongly favour the mid-range and treble so are very good for vocals and instruments in that range, but can sound a bit bright and missing out on the low-end. I seem to recall finding them hard to listen to after a short while, as they cause "ear burning". They are probably the most uncomfortable headphones ever designed (even die-hard Grado fans will admit this).

My advice would be to shortlist a few pairs: Grado SR-80, AKG K550 and Beyerdynamic DT 880 (or 770) might be a good set to compare. Then listen to them somewhere. Take your own music on your phone. Don't use a headphone amp if you're not going to use one at home, or else take that with you as well. Or order from Amazon (or elsewhere online) and take advantage of the 30 days to send them back. Everyone has different preferences for what sounds good to them.

One thing to keep in mind is whether you care about sound leakage or not. The Beyerdynamic DT 880s and all Grados are open-backed, which means they leak a lot of sound. If you don't want to disturb anyone in the same room, that rules them out. Beyerdynamic do closed-back versions, which I haven't tried but I hear they are very good. The AKG K550s are closed back.

Me too....how else do we get to display our fabulous wealth?
    Much dissapoint...

Just want to add that I've never tried the AKG K240s but I agree you shouldn't write them off, a lot of high-end hifi stuff has a very coloured sound profile because the very flat stuff that's used professionally tends to sound less musical to most people. There's a lot of stuff out there that's actually very good but surprisingly cheap. I'd put them on the shortlist. In fact I might give them a try at some point and see how they compare to the 550s.

There's a similar thing with the Grado SR-60 and SR-80. The 60s are cheaper but it's not so much that they are worse, they just have a very different sound profile. As I understand it the 60s are bassier, but don't have quote the same "Grado sound". From what I've read on forums, Grado fans tend to fall into two categories: prefer the SR-60s to anything else, or absolutely hate the SR-60s. There doesn't seem to be a lot of in-between.

Years ago (about 2000) I was after a pair of headphones with a complete neutral sound signature. I was on a hi-fi forum and a guy in the States who was a record producer recommended the Sony MDR-V6, so I bought a pair. They were excellent as he had said. The V6s be still be bought but they're over 30 years old now so maybe Sean's suggestion would be better. However, I would still go with Sony if you are after a monitoring headphone which doesn't have any major bias in the frequencies.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Focal Utopias. The best open-back phones available. If noise leak is a problem for you, I hear their new Stellia, which is a closed back model, are very good also.
    Last edited by Skyman; 22nd June 2019 at 07:39.

Just bought some Beyerdynamic 770s which I’ve been using with a Fiio DAC and hi-res audio files to listen to classical and acoustic stuff, they are superb. They’re also closed back to avoid disturbing SWMBO, the 880s are the open back flavour, which would be fine for piano practise.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Grado SR60 or 80. Nothing comes close in my experience as a hi fi dealer. Belting good headphones.
    I have the SR325, seconded that they’re incredible.

You didn’t say what you’re plugging them into but I use one of these:-

https://www.mingda.co.uk/ming-da-hea...amplifier.html

Bought used for half the price you see there on the bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's important to try whatever makes your shortlist. If headphones don't fit well they quickly become uncomfortable. The last time I bought some I went for Sennheiser 558s, good sound (to my ears) and nice fit (on my ears).
    F.T.F.A.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the advice guys, I knew there where done audiophiles around these parts.

I had to look up the differences between upen/closed back and the truer sound of open backs would be my preference. Being used at home I don’t have any issues with disturbing the Mrs.

Will do some research this weekend.

Master
    Thanks for the advice guys, I knew there where done audiophiles around these parts.

I had to look up the differences between upen/closed back and the truer sound of open backs would be my preference. Being used at home I don’t have any issues with disturbing the Mrs.

Sennheiser HD600s and similar open backed and very neutral , zero sound isolation and leak like a sieve.

Beyer Dynamic DT250 very similar frequency response to the hd600s but closed back , industrial grade , replaceable parts mean they are pretty much indestructible.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGUO4M9dbBw

Shure se535 when I want to listen for pleasure or I'm on the move.

Yes definitely open back for your use. As well as truer sound, they're usually more comfortable and less isolation so can perhaps hear fingers on keys etc.

Craftsman
    value for money, cant beat Beyerdynamic dt770.
    If its for use with a mobile phone, get the 32, otherwise go for one of the sets with higher resistance.
    The difference is sound quality is minimal but the phone will have an easier time driving the low ohm ones.

They sound amazing. I spent AGES looking for a decent set for work, to drown out office noise. Every set on the market is too bassy. I want to hear uncoloured sound, as it was created.
    The DT770 are remarkably clean, and add minimal colour to the sound. they also have a pretty decent sound stage.

I have the Audio Technica Ath-MZ40. Again, about 50 ohms so can be driven by a mobile source without amplification.
    Very clean, and dont add much, unlike their bigger brother the MZ50 which is a bass monster. Sound stage is not as good as the DT770, but the clarity is unreal and they are a steal, often can be gotten for under 100 quid.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    value for money, cant beat Beyerdynamic dt770.
    If its for use with a mobile phone, get the 32, otherwise go for one of the sets with higher resistance.
    The difference is sound quality is minimal but the phone will have an easier time driving the low ohm ones.

They sound amazing. I spent AGES looking for a decent set for work, to drown out office noise. Every set on the market is too bassy. I want to hear uncoloured sound, as it was created.
    The DT770 are remarkably clean, and add minimal colour to the sound. they also have a pretty decent sound stage.

I have the Audio Technica Ath-MZ40. Again, about 50 ohms so can be driven by a mobile source without amplification.
    Very clean, and dont add much, unlike their bigger brother the MZ50 which is a bass monster. Sound stage is not as good as the DT770, but the clarity is unreal and they are a steal, often can be gotten for under 100 quid.
    Thanks for the reply Wilson_smyth as it’s brought about a question I would like clarifying.

Ohms rating, I noticed whilst browsing that various headphones have differing ohms ratings, anything up to 250, there was one model which I can’t remember where you had a choice of 3 different ratings.

I won’t be using these with a phone, primarily plugged into a digital piano with its own amplifier built in so is a higher ohm rating better, what if I choose a pair with a high rating and use it on my iPad but it can’t power them?

Ohms rating, I noticed whilst browsing that various headphones have differing ohms ratings, anything up to 250, there was one model which I can’t remember where you had a choice of 3 different ratings.

I won’t be using these with a phone, primarily plugged into a digital piano with its own amplifier built in so is a higher ohm rating better, what if I choose a pair with a high rating and use it on my iPad but it can’t power them?
    Unless you are planning to use them with a specific amp, go for the lower ohms. Beyerdynamic are the ones that offer at least 3 different ohm-rated versions of each headphone (the 32ohm version is the one that will work with anything). Their explanation is here:

https://support.beyerdynamic.com/hc/...-which-source-

In theory there should be no difference in sound quality from the headphones themselves. However, if you have a high-end headphone amp with wattage to spare, the higher ohm versions will help that amp achieve lower distortion, which is why they make that option available. The trade-off is that those either won't work well or will be very quiet using the built-in amps you'll find in phones, tablets, computers, digital pianos, synths, etc.

I bought some Sennheiser Momentums a couple of years ago. They did (and still do) sound really good with my phone. They sound less good with anything else. So just a caution that what sounds good in the shop may not be so good at home.

Master
    To power an iPad with high impedance headphones I’d suggest a AudioQuest Dragonfly amp/dac which can be connected to the iPad via a Apple camera lead. The dragonfly is about the size of a usb stick but packs a punch.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Unless you are planning to use them with a specific amp, go for the lower ohms. Beyerdynamic are the ones that offer at least 3 different ohm-rated versions of each headphone (the 32ohm version is the one that will work with anything). Their explanation is here:

https://support.beyerdynamic.com/hc/...-which-source-

In theory there should be no difference in sound quality from the headphones themselves. However, if you have a high-end headphone amp with wattage to spare, the higher ohm versions will help that amp achieve lower distortion, which is why they make that option available. The trade-off is that those either won't work well or will be very quiet using the built-in amps you'll find in phones, tablets, computers, digital pianos, synths, etc.
    This is the speaker/amp set up on the piano (primary reason for purchase and use)

• Sound System: 2 x 13cm with enclosure + 2 x 8x12cm Top Speaker and 2 x 5cm Tweeter; ONKYO Amplifier, ONKYO SpectraModule™ Headphone Amplifier: ONKYO Signal Processing
    • Amplifier: 2 x 50W
    • Power Consumption: 50W

This is the speaker/amp set up on the piano (primary reason for purchase and use)...
    Ah, OK. In that case you may be as well with the 250ohm. If in doubt, check the manual for impedance recommendations. Google isn’t saying much about that amp. It sounds OK, although I’m not sure how a 2x50W amp can have a total power consumption of 50W, so the true wattage may be a lot less.

The 32 will still work, but you may get a teeny bit better sound out of the higher impedance ones, plus less risk of blowing them out if you crank the volume all the way up (still, don’t do that).

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have a pair of as new KEF M500 on ear headphones which you can have for significantly less than the £250 I paid for them.

Thinking £75 delivered.

PM me if interested.

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    I have a pair of as new KEF M500 on ear headphones which you can have for significantly less than the £250 I paid for them.

Thinking £75 delivered.

PM me if interested.

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the offer but I want over ear and open backed.

On the ohm thing, I went for the 80 ohm version of the DT770s as I’d be using it mostly with a Fiio DAC plugged into my phone or tablet, as well as for a bit of guitar practise amp use. Tried it plugged into phone directly out of curiosity and doesn’t sound half bad at all, no issues with driving it to decent volume. The DAC obviously sounds louder and better, but you could easily use the 80 ohm with a phone directly if pushed. 80 ohm would be a decent midpoint between the 32 and 250, the latter being for more specialised studio-only uses.

Oh, know we’ve been discussing musical applications for the phones, but the soundstaging on the DT770s is absolutely epic for watching movies, was blown away (almost literally) by how good the opening scene from Saving Private Ryan was on my iPad.
    Last edited by MattMM; 23rd June 2019 at 11:23.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMM View Post
    On the ohm thing, I went for the 80 ohm version
    I suggest reading the Beyerdynamic page I linked above before considering the 80 ohm version, as it is specifically designed for extra loudness at the cost of some fidelity compared to the others. I doubt it sounds bad per se, but isn't the best choice unless you are playing with other musicians and need that extra bit of volume. It's not merely an in-between of the 32 and 250, it's a different design for one specific use-case.

I bought some AGK 240 studio 55 ohm after a previous thread on the subject some years ago, really like them, I have no experience of other decent brands so can't compare, but what i really like about them is the leads can be unplugged from the can end if you ever need to replace them as that is what has always has broken first, the lead into he jack plug, Ben, if you want o try these out I would be happy to post them to you for a try out.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I bought some AGK 240 studio 55 ohm after a previous thread on the subject some years ago, really like them, I have no experience of other decent brands so can't compare, but what i really like about them is the leads can be unplugged from the can end if you ever need to replace them as that is what has always has broken first, the lead into he jack plug, Ben, if you want o try these out I would be happy to post them to you for a try out.
    Thats a very generous offer Jason but really no need.

Thats a very generous offer Jason but really no need.
    It would be no bother, let me know if you change your mind. 👍
    Cheers..
    Jase